Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a BBQ near an oil tank

How far away is considered 'safe'? Favourite site for the traditional
charcoal BBQ is about six feet away from the domestic oil tank. Would
that be safe or silly?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/14 21:47, News wrote:

How far away is considered 'safe'? Favourite site for the traditional
charcoal BBQ is about six feet away from the domestic oil tank. Would
that be safe or silly?

Heating oil is pretty hard to ignite. I'm more worried about tinder dry
fine material.

But I could not say of 6ft would make me nervous or not...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 21/04/14 21:47, News wrote:

How far away is considered 'safe'? Favourite site for the traditional
charcoal BBQ is about six feet away from the domestic oil tank. Would
that be safe or silly?

Heating oil is pretty hard to ignite. I'm more worried about tinder dry
fine material.

Not too much tinder dry material in NE Scotland :-)

But I could not say of 6ft would make me nervous or not...

It doesn't make me nervous as such - just aware.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 21:47:55 +0100, News wrote:

How far away is considered 'safe'? Favourite site for the traditional
charcoal BBQ is about six feet away from the domestic oil tank. Would
that be safe or silly?

Metal or plastic tank?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 22:01:04 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

How far away is considered 'safe'?

The elves will probably say there is no safe distance.

Favourite site for the traditional charcoal BBQ is about six feet

away
from the domestic oil tank. Would that be safe or silly?

Heating oil is pretty hard to ignite.

Once vapourised it will go or burn on a wick. It's far easier to
light than diesel, petrol just don't go there...

Metal tank I'd not be worried at all at 6'. Plastic I'd be aware of a
remote possibilty of it getting warm in a small area and possibly
deforming. That would weaken the tank. So I'd either check the tank
every so often (and be surprised to find a significantly warmer area)
or have the windshield of the BBQ blocking any direct infrared path
from BBQ to tank.

Is "traditional BBQ" the two halves of a 45 gallon oil drum end to
end filled with 6" deep plus of burning charcoal or one of those
little 18" diameter things?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That depends on what the terrain is like, ie is it flammable plants, or is
there a clear area around the tank.
I've seen people have them that close and with no problems. the danger time
is when lighting it. I'm assuming its not a gas one.

On another note, I can always tell when its been a nice day, the fresh
evening air makes you cough with all the burnt offerings being 'cooked'
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"News" wrote in message

How far away is considered 'safe'? Favourite site for the traditional
charcoal BBQ is about six feet away from the domestic oil tank. Would
that be safe or silly?
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 08:16:08 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

On another note, I can always tell when its been a nice day, the fresh
evening air makes you cough with all the burnt offerings being
'cooked'

That is one thing we don't miss about living on a town estate. Any
reasonable warm summers evening and out would come the BBQ's behind
every second house, followed by reduced visibilty due to smoke and a
horrendous stench.

At least the smell from the Foot & Mouth pyres 30 miles away back in
2001 was vaugely for roasting meat.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 08:16:08 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

That depends on what the terrain is like, ie is it flammable plants, or is
there a clear area around the tank.
I've seen people have them that close and with no problems. the danger time
is when lighting it. I'm assuming its not a gas one.

On another note, I can always tell when its been a nice day, the fresh
evening air makes you cough with all the burnt offerings being 'cooked'
Brian

In a masterpiece of timing, my neighbour lit her BBQ yesterday pm (I was a
bit worried when I saw the petrol can come out!) about 30s before a heavy
shower with hail - BBQ lasted about another 30s!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

Is "traditional BBQ" the two halves of a 45 gallon oil drum end to
end filled with 6" deep plus of burning charcoal or one of those
little 18" diameter things?

smile Nothing so exotic. Traditional as in charcoal, rather than
modern, as in gas. Actually, we're using disposables at present, the
old one having disintegrated at the end of last summer. The perils of a
BBQ loving child in the family.

The plastic oil tank, 1300L, sits on a concrete slab, the slab being
somewhat larger than the tank. The BBQ sits about 6 feet from the tank,
and is never unattended, due to child and dog in the garden. I have
never noticed the tank getting even slightly warm, so am not
particularly concerned. It was fumes that were at the back of my mind,
but that seems not to be a problem.

Thanks for all the comments.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Adrian, Bulldog wrote:
Steel

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...nk-968457-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This subject really merits one of the classic articles in the vein of the Saniflo or building a canoe with expanding foam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2020 08:36, Cynic wrote:
This subject really merits one of the classic articles in the vein of the Saniflo or building a canoe with expanding foam.

Not convinced about that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2020 08:36, Cynic wrote:
This subject really merits one of the classic articles in the vein of the Saniflo or building a canoe with expanding foam.

Not in Ambridge anyway
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oil is not that flammable as it stands.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/04/2020 08:36, Cynic wrote:
This subject really merits one of the classic articles in the vein of the
Saniflo or building a canoe with expanding foam.

Not convinced about that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm sure Peter Parry could use his wordsmithing skills to produce an entertaining version of the barbecue tipping over, hot embers creating penetration of the plastic with escape of kerosene and resulting conflagration. Somehow allow the presence of a mother in law into the narrative?