Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a BBQ near an oil tank

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 22:01:04 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

How far away is considered 'safe'?

The elves will probably say there is no safe distance.

Favourite site for the traditional charcoal BBQ is about six feet

away
from the domestic oil tank. Would that be safe or silly?

Heating oil is pretty hard to ignite.

Once vapourised it will go or burn on a wick. It's far easier to
light than diesel, petrol just don't go there...

Metal tank I'd not be worried at all at 6'. Plastic I'd be aware of a
remote possibilty of it getting warm in a small area and possibly
deforming. That would weaken the tank. So I'd either check the tank
every so often (and be surprised to find a significantly warmer area)
or have the windshield of the BBQ blocking any direct infrared path
from BBQ to tank.

Is "traditional BBQ" the two halves of a 45 gallon oil drum end to
end filled with 6" deep plus of burning charcoal or one of those
little 18" diameter things?

--
Cheers
Dave.