Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using two sets of cordless phones on one line

Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have just
the one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set of
cordless phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a phone
on one set to a phone on the other set, but, other than that, any reason
not to use both sets on one line? No possible interference issues?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 21:32, News wrote:
Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have just
the one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set of
cordless phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a phone
on one set to a phone on the other set, but, other than that, any reason
not to use both sets on one line? No possible interference issues?

Why not just register the old handsets with one base station?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 21:32:45 +0000, News
wrote:

Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have just
the one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set of
cordless phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a phone
on one set to a phone on the other set, but, other than that, any reason
not to use both sets on one line? No possible interference issues?

You should be able to register both phones to one of the base stations
then just use the second base station as a dumb charger for its
Matching phone. This is all down to basic GAP compatibility, you
should be all right making and receiving internal and external calls
and (I think) transferring calls but advanced features like answephone
might not work from the "foreign" handset.

Give I would give it a try using each BS in turn to see which gives
the best results.

You will probably need the manual for the registration procedure, no
doubt in a PDF online.

On the other hand...
....sometimes just plugging them in at two phone points so you can just
pick up the other extension and continue the conversation is seen as a
better plan, especially my SWMBO.

DECT is very good at avoiding mutual interference, it just works.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have just
the one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set of
cordless phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a phone
on one set to a phone on the other set, but, other than that, any reason
not to use both sets on one line? No possible interference issues?

We have two here, precisely because we don't want to dial between
extensions and it's *easier* to transfer calls with two different base
stations. Pick up on one, hang up on the other. (This is for
transferring a call between a conventional cordless phone and DECT headset).

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have just
the one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set of
cordless phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a phone
on one set to a phone on the other set, but, other than that, any reason
not to use both sets on one line? No possible interference issues?

A friend bought a new DECT phone when one of her two analogue wireless
ones packed up. The new phone has a rather quiet ring, so I repaired
her analogue one and reinstalled it. Now the combined ringing of the
DECT handset, the two analogue handsets and their base-station can be
heard in all parts of the house, and any of the three handsets can be
used without problems.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have just
the one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set of
cordless phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a phone
on one set to a phone on the other set, but, other than that, any reason
not to use both sets on one line? No possible interference issues?

A friend bought a new DECT phone when one of her two analogue wireless
ones packed up. The new phone has a rather quiet ring, so I repaired
her analogue one and reinstalled it. Now the combined ringing of the
DECT handset, the two analogue handsets and their base-station can be
heard in all parts of the house, and any of the three handsets can be
used without problems.

And no doubt her conversations can be heard all over the street.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/5566232336/lightbox/

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 21:50, Graham. wrote:
You should be able to register both phones to one of the base stations
then just use the second base station as a dumb charger for its
Matching phone. This is all down to basic GAP compatibility, you
should be all right making and receiving internal and external calls
and (I think) transferring calls but advanced features like answephone
might not work from the "foreign" handset.

Does that ever work?

My experience with GAP and DECT has been very poor in that I have yet to
find two handsets that work together. Maybe I'm just unlucky though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 08:20, Jon Connell wrote:
On 05/12/2013 21:50, Graham. wrote:
You should be able to register both phones to one of the base stations
then just use the second base station as a dumb charger for its
Matching phone. This is all down to basic GAP compatibility, you
should be all right making and receiving internal and external calls
and (I think) transferring calls but advanced features like answephone
might not work from the "foreign" handset.

Does that ever work?

Yes. I have got really awful Philips DECT handsets registered to my
Panasonic base station with not problems. I binned the Philips base
station because it was a complete lemon.

My experience with GAP and DECT has been very poor in that I have yet to
find two handsets that work together. Maybe I'm just unlucky though.

You may have to read the manual cover to cover to make it work but they
are usually interoperable. Obviously it isn't in the maker A's interest
to make it too easy to register a make A handset with maker B's base.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News formulated the question :
Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

None at all.

We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have just the
one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set of cordless
phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a phone on one set to
a phone on the other set, but, other than that, any reason not to use both
sets on one line? No possible interference issues?

If they are a very old analogue set, there might be interference, but
probably not - try it.

If they are modern DAC type, set one base up as the one base which is
plugged into the line and operate all four phone from that one base,
you should then be able to transfer calls between them.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 9:32 PM, News wrote:
Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have just
the one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set of
cordless phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a phone
on one set to a phone on the other set, but, other than that, any reason
not to use both sets on one line? No possible interference issues?

There is a limit to the number of devices you can hang on one line
according to the sum of their REN numbers. The total max REN used to be
reckoned as four in the UK, but I don't know if this is still the case.
This article was updated last February, so it should still apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Henson wrote in
:

On 05/12/2013 9:32 PM, News wrote:
Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets
of cordless phones on one phone line?

We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have
just the one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set
of cordless phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a
phone on one set to a phone on the other set, but, other than that,
any reason not to use both sets on one line? No possible
interference issues?

There is a limit to the number of devices you can hang on one line
according to the sum of their REN numbers. The total max REN used to
be reckoned as four in the UK, but I don't know if this is still the
case. This article was updated last February, so it should still
apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

I would think that REN does not apply to DECT extensions as the extensions
ringing is not a function of the incoming line - other than the first base
unit. Can someone confirm?

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn writes

I would think that REN does not apply to DECT extensions as the extensions
ringing is not a function of the incoming line - other than the first base
unit. Can someone confirm?

Yes, it's the physical load on the line that matters so the number of
DECT handsets does not matter.

It's worth noting too that if a unit (phone/base-station/ringer) places
any ringing load on the line then the minimum REN recorded against it
must be one (no 0.5 or 0.25). As DECT base stations merely load the line
to detect the ringing rather than power the ringer itself then they may
present a far lower load, permitting you to break the rules by exceeding
an official REN of 4.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 10:38:33 +0000, fred wrote:

In article 2,
DerbyBorn writes

I would think that REN does not apply to DECT extensions as the extensions
ringing is not a function of the incoming line - other than the first base
unit. Can someone confirm?

Yes, it's the physical load on the line that matters so the number of
DECT handsets does not matter.

It's worth noting too that if a unit (phone/base-station/ringer) places
any ringing load on the line then the minimum REN recorded against it
must be one (no 0.5 or 0.25). As DECT base stations merely load the line
to detect the ringing rather than power the ringer itself then they may
present a far lower load, permitting you to break the rules by exceeding
an official REN of 4.

I can't believe that. The phone has to look like 1 REN otherwise the
exchange will think the line is broken. Or maybe I'm wrong, and the BT
master socket looks like 1 REN with nothing plugged in?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

I've got 5 sets here - one with twin handsets. All DECT, though. You might
have problems with old analogue types.

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 9:34 AM, DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Henson wrote in
:

[...]

True. However, it might still apply depending what other devices the OP
has attached already. One old wired telephone for use in power cuts, two
DECT bases (if he hung the second one on separately), a modem/fax
machine and Robert is your Avuncular Relative.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

There are two theories about arguing with women. Neither one works!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Henson
writes

However, it might still apply depending what other devices the OP
has attached already. One old wired telephone for use in power cuts, two
DECT bases (if he hung the second one on separately), a modem/fax
machine and Robert is your Avuncular Relative.

Thanks, guys, for all the comments. Two entirely sets of four now
plugged in and working. No, we don't need eight, but at least that
keeps the handsets charged.

Non transferability is unlikely to be a problem. Not something we ever
use. We do have an old style phone for power cuts, but that is the only
time it is ever plugged in. No fax machines, or anything like that.

To be honest, we only want multiple phones because we can't hear them in
other rooms! The walls here are thick, solid granite, and modern phones
are not as loud as the traditional ringing phones most of us grew up
with. Could just be that we're a pair of deaf old gits :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 5:10 PM, News wrote:
In message , Bob Henson
writes

[...]

Good - glad they're all functional. You can't have too many phones
anyway - when you as old and arthritis riddled as me, the shorter the
distance you have to walk to answer the phone the better. We've only got
three - one on each floor - and with the doors shut you certainly can't
hear them well - not when you're getting a tad Mutt & Jeff too.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 17:10:29 +0000, News wrote:

To be honest, we only want multiple phones because we can't hear them in
other rooms! The walls here are thick, solid granite, and modern phones
are not as loud as the traditional ringing phones most of us grew up
with.

Fit one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GP80D.html

But that only has one gong, for the more traditional two gong sound
use:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GP50E.html

But that isn't as loud.

Could just be that we're a pair of deaf old gits :-)

Naw, tone callers are crap pretty much monotonic with no transients.
real bells have lots of transients and a range of frequencies. Much
easier to hear and locate.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:19:05 +0000, Dave W wrote:

It's worth noting too that if a unit (phone/base-station/ringer)

places
any ringing load on the line then the minimum REN recorded against

it
must be one (no 0.5 or 0.25). As DECT base stations merely load

the
line to detect the ringing rather than power the ringer itself

then
they may present a far lower load, permitting you to break the

rules by
exceeding an official REN of 4.

I can't believe that. The phone has to look like 1 REN otherwise the
exchange will think the line is broken.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and the BT master socket looks like 1 REN with
nothing plugged in?

A on hook line is open circuit at DC and only has the 1.8uF capacitor
in series with the 470 k "out of service resistor" across the line.
Any sounders are across the resistor. The master socket doesn't have
a REN of 1.

The reason for the REN was that when the modular jack system came in
most sounders were still real bells with coils that required volts
and current to rattle properly. To many on a line and either they
wouldn't rattle very well or you'd get "ring trip". The current taken
by the sounders is enough for the exchange to think the call has been
answered so it connects the caller but only to the on hook line...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave W
writes
On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 10:38:33 +0000, fred wrote:

It's worth noting too that if a unit (phone/base-station/ringer) places
any ringing load on the line then the minimum REN recorded against it
must be one (no 0.5 or 0.25). As DECT base stations merely load the line
to detect the ringing rather than power the ringer itself then they may
present a far lower load, permitting you to break the rules by exceeding
an official REN of 4.

I can't believe that. The phone has to look like 1 REN otherwise the
exchange will think the line is broken. Or maybe I'm wrong, and the BT
master socket looks like 1 REN with nothing plugged in?

There is no requirement to fit a phone to any of the installed sockets
and not loading the bell is not a fault condition.

Automated test circuitry will look for the combination of a 1.8uF cap in
series with a 470k resistor but not for a ringing load.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2013 21:32, News wrote:
Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have just
the one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set of
cordless phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a phone
on one set to a phone on the other set, but, other than that, any reason
not to use both sets on one line? No possible interference issues?

No reason at all as long as you have a second socket to plug base unit into.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Henson wrote:
There is a limit to the number of devices you can hang on one line
according to the sum of their REN numbers. The total max REN used to be
reckoned as four in the UK, but I don't know if this is still the case.
This article was updated last February, so it should still apply.

That only really applies to old fashioned bell etc phones rang directly by
the ringing volts on the line. A cordless phone must obviously use a
different arrangement to ring.

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 12:22:22 +0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

No reason at all as long as you have a second socket to plug base unit
into.

And ensure Answerphone is off on one of them, I suppose.

--
/\/\aurice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 17:10:29 +0000, News wrote:

The walls here are thick, solid granite, and modern phones
are not as loud as the traditional ringing phones most of us grew up
with.

Fit one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GP80D.html

Brilliant. Thank you.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Martin Brown, Montani42 wrote:
Many Panasonic phone systems have phones that are not compatible with a
different Panasonic model base.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ne-940690-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:44:05 UTC, Montani42 wrote:
replying to Martin Brown, Montani42 wrote:
Many Panasonic phone systems have phones that are not compatible with a
different Panasonic model base.

He asked in 2013. Use a saner portal to this newsgroup than the one you're using now. The access page you're using is a pita for everyone.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

posted on December 5, 2013, 9:32 pm
Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?
We used to have two phone lines (home and business), but now have just the
one. Both had cordless phones, so we now have a spare set of cordless
phones. I realise a call could not be transferred from a phone on one set to
a phone on the other set, but, other than that, any reason not to use both
sets on one line? No possible interference issues?
--
Graeme

This very old post seems to have surfaced again on the rather perverse Home
owners Hub web site I see.
I wonder what happened?
I will say this though I have two sets of cordless phones on the same line
made by different manufacturers and have had no problems. In fact though by
now many phones would be dead I'd wager!

These phones do seem to first eat batteries then die for no apparent reason
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Montani42" m wrote in
message ...
replying to Martin Brown, Montani42 wrote:
Many Panasonic phone systems have phones that are not compatible with a
different Panasonic model base.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ne-940690-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

This very old post seems to have surfaced again on the rather perverse Home
owners Hub web site I see.
I wonder what happened?
I will say this though I have two sets of cordless phones on the same line
made by different manufacturers and have had no problems. In fact though by
now many phones would be dead I'd wager!

These phones do seem to first eat batteries then die for no apparent reason
Brian

I can only speak for my Gigaset ones that did the same, and I failed to
repair. The fault was in the DC-DC converter that converted battery
voltage to a more constant value for the phone. These become steadily
less efficient and the phone interprets this as a falling battery
voltage even when the latter are fully charged. I am afraid that I got
as far as finding out it was *not* the large electrolytics at fault, but
I never got to the next step of replacing the mosfet. It might of
course have been yet a third component, perhaps an IC.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

No. I've got 5 - all different makes - here.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
posted on December 5, 2013, 9:32 pm
Probably a daft question, but is there any reason not to use two sets of
cordless phones on one phone line?

This very old post seems to have surfaced again on the rather perverse Home
owners Hub web site I see.
I wonder what happened?

Oh! That was me! Well, somewhere I have kept the useful instructions
about how to make two different sets work together, but have not done
anything about it, because it has not proved necessary. Very briefly,
the two sets work together, although it is not possible to transfer a
call from one set to the other, but it is possible to listen in on a
call on one set using a phone from the other set. We don't find that a
problem, but others may do so.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 23:44:02 +0000, Montani42 wrote:

replying to Martin Brown, Montani42 wrote:
Many Panasonic phone systems have phones that are not compatible with a
different Panasonic model base.

The obvious (?) way to go, assuming they are DECT phones, is to only plug
one base station into the line and pair all phones with the other base
station.

You don't really want two answering machines both trying to answer the
same call.

Cheers

Dave R

---

cordless phones cj Home Repair 59 July 19th 10 10:52 PM
OT Cordless phones again metspitzer Home Repair 2 March 12th 09 07:07 PM
Cordless Phones metspitzer Home Repair 3 November 8th 08 04:29 AM
Cordless phones MiamiCuse Home Repair 39 August 6th 08 07:19 PM
Two cordless phones on the same line? al Home Repair 12 September 4th 06 05:06 PM