Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wera ratchet screwdriver

Looking for some presents for me and it occurred to me that I have 7
assorted good to very indifferent philips, pozi and slot screwdrivers
cluttering up my toolbox. I know that, in the main, Wera kit has a
good reputation but is a bit pricey - does anyone have one of these,
if so please comment on usability.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...10/sd80/p16340
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:36:33 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

Yes, but hopefully some else will be spending the £30.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

Does/did anyone ever like ratchet screwdrivers?

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:55:40 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

Does/did anyone ever like ratchet screwdrivers?

That is one of my reasons for asking about it. I seem to remember
back in the dim and distant past having a Stanley(?) ratchet
screwdriver which was useful on the odd occasion but far from a
favourite. The difference is that now I have iffy shoulders and
intermittent problems with my right elbow which mean that I try to use
my Makita driver for most things, but there are times when manual
screwdriving is the most sensible option.

I assumed that if anyone could make a reasonable ratchet driver it
would be Wera.
--
rbel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2013 18:21, rbel wrote:

Looking for some presents for me and it occurred to me that I have 7
assorted good to very indifferent philips, pozi and slot screwdrivers
cluttering up my toolbox. I know that, in the main, Wera kit has a
good reputation but is a bit pricey - does anyone have one of these,
if so please comment on usability.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...10/sd80/p16340

I don't have one of those, but often use one of these
http://www.stanleytools.co.uk/product/176107

Doesn't ratchet, but does have 6 different bits in handle and the screw
holding device is simply brilliant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does/did anyone ever like ratchet screwdrivers?

That is one of my reasons for asking about it.

I have a Great Neck ratchet driver, straight or pistol grip, 12-bit storage in the handle that I bought from B&Q years ago and it's my first choice for manual screwdriving. Used it loads and still going strong. One of my favourite tools.

There's a pic of it here and a review that says it's ****:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...undup?page=1,1

Whatever. I like it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:27:45 +0000, rbel wrote:

That is one of my reasons for asking about it. I seem to remember back
in the dim and distant past having a Stanley(?) ratchet screwdriver
which was useful on the odd occasion but far from a favourite. The
difference is that now I have iffy shoulders and intermittent problems
with my right elbow which mean that I try to use my Makita driver for
most things, but there are times when manual screwdriving is the most
sensible option.

I assumed that if anyone could make a reasonable ratchet driver it would
be Wera.

I bought the Stanley FatMax that Screwfix currently have on offer for
around £12 IIRC. It has a very smooth ratchet action, a speed-up gearing
mode (hold the front of the handle still while turning the back end and
the shaft wizzes around) and a bit-holder in the handle. The wizzy speed-
up is most useful for starting wood screws without a pilot. The handle
bit store is a bit stiff to open and fiddly to get bits in and out of
their holder. And the driver itself is a bit bulky overall. So, not a bad
bit of kit. Not perfect, but not £30 either!

--
John Stumbles

How odd of God But not so odd as those who choose
To choose the Jews A Jewish god, yet spurn the Jews
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
[...]

I like the Stanley FatMax too - thinking of buying another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Jim K" wrote in message
Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

And I am hoping that Santa will be fetching this for me

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...10/sd80/p55785

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2013 06:09, Geoff Pearson wrote:

[...]

Pretty sure that's the one I Have. If so, I just wish they'd included
the traditional push pull thing for reversing (or disengaging) the
ratchet action. I like to be able to *see* whether it's on forward or
reverse. I like the bits having PZ1 etc stamped on the side. I can never
differentiate between Phillips and Pozi.
I certainly wouldn't be without a ratchet screwdriver a) because it
halves the time assembling flatpack (I have recently proved this!) and
b) because you can use throwaway cordless bits.
I also bought a cheapo stubby ratchet from Lidl. Amazed the number of
times I've needed to use it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2013 09:53, stuart noble wrote:
I like the bits having PZ1 etc stamped on the side. I can never
differentiate between Phillips and Pozi.

I so wish that there were a standard international code for these things
that did not rely on imperfectly stamped letters. Keep thinking that
they should have multiple distinguishing features - colour, shape of
coloured area, etc.

I know some of the expensive ones have some colour coding but because it
isn't universal, it only helps those who use them regularly.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

Yes, but hopefully some else will be spending the £30.

If you think that is pricey look at the Snap On equivalent at £86.40! It
should be called the McEnroe.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....uk&dir=catalog

--
Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 09:35:28 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

And I am hoping that Santa will be fetching this for me

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...10/sd80/p55785

What an interesting concept for the more delicate end of electrical
work and it does put the price the one I am interested in into
perspective
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Then you lose the bits one by one.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jim K" wrote in message
Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2013 10:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
Then you lose the bits one by one.
Brian

All of 10p each to replace
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe...0/sd660/p14483

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2013 18:21, rbel wrote:

Looking for some presents for me and it occurred to me that I have 7
assorted good to very indifferent philips, pozi and slot screwdrivers
cluttering up my toolbox. I know that, in the main, Wera kit has a
good reputation but is a bit pricey - does anyone have one of these,
if so please comment on usability.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...10/sd80/p16340

I have the Faacom version, and its great
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Facom-FCMACL1A-ACL-1APB-Ratcheting-Screwdriver/dp/B004ZFC6B2

--
yendor
If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2013 09:35, ARW wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message
Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

And I am hoping that Santa will be fetching this for me

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...10/sd80/p55785

Hope you have been a very good boy..... at that price!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2013 09:35, ARW wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message
Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

And I am hoping that Santa will be fetching this for me

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...10/sd80/p55785

Hope you have been a very good boy..... at that price!

Damn.

Well there's an 18pc set on eBay that looks just like that going for £44.99
including P&P.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wera-Kraft...-/320238307828

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 30/11/2013 09:35, ARW wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message
Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

And I am hoping that Santa will be fetching this for me

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...10/sd80/p55785

Hope you have been a very good boy..... at that price!

Damn.

Well there's an 18pc set on eBay that looks just like that going for
£44.99
including P&P.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wera-Kraft...-/320238307828

Ta. But that's not the same screwdriver. I want one with a torque wrench.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2013 09:35, ARW wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message
Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

And I am hoping that Santa will be fetching this for me

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...10/sd80/p55785

Hope you have been a very good boy..... at that price!

Damn.

Well there's an 18pc set on eBay that looks just like that going for £44.99
including P&P.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wera-Kraft...-/320238307828

Ta. But that's not the same screwdriver. I want one with a torque wrench.

Ah, didn't spot that. Apologies.

How about a snip at £123.39? ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WERA-15-Pi...11229016881%26

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 1219867351407612270.474537timdownie2003-
, timdownie2003
@nospampleaseyahoo.co.uk says...

On 30/11/2013 09:35, ARW wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message
Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

And I am hoping that Santa will be fetching this for me

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...10/sd80/p55785

Hope you have been a very good boy..... at that price!

Damn.

Well there's an 18pc set on eBay that looks just like that going for £44.99
including P&P.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wera-Kraft...-/320238307828

Ta. But that's not the same screwdriver. I want one with a torque wrench.

Ah, didn't spot that. Apologies.

How about a snip at £123.39? ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WERA-15-Pi...11229016881%26

Or eBay item number: 290941777606 - to its close friends.

--
Sam

proper ratchet screwdriver Geoff Pearson UK diy 34 April 9th 12 07:06 PM
Ratchet spanners [email protected] Metalworking 13 August 21st 11 12:21 AM
small spiral-ratchet (Yankee-type) screwdriver John Stumbles UK diy 20 May 28th 08 01:16 AM
Rope ratchet Jay Hendry UK diy 19 June 25th 07 05:20 PM
Wera Tools [email protected] UK diy 14 May 14th 07 04:49 PM