Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Wera ratchet screwdriver

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:27:45 +0000, rbel wrote:

That is one of my reasons for asking about it. I seem to remember back
in the dim and distant past having a Stanley(?) ratchet screwdriver
which was useful on the odd occasion but far from a favourite. The
difference is that now I have iffy shoulders and intermittent problems
with my right elbow which mean that I try to use my Makita driver for
most things, but there are times when manual screwdriving is the most
sensible option.

I assumed that if anyone could make a reasonable ratchet driver it would
be Wera.

I bought the Stanley FatMax that Screwfix currently have on offer for
around £12 IIRC. It has a very smooth ratchet action, a speed-up gearing
mode (hold the front of the handle still while turning the back end and
the shaft wizzes around) and a bit-holder in the handle. The wizzy speed-
up is most useful for starting wood screws without a pilot. The handle
bit store is a bit stiff to open and fiddly to get bits in and out of
their holder. And the driver itself is a bit bulky overall. So, not a bad
bit of kit. Not perfect, but not £30 either!

--
John Stumbles

How odd of God But not so odd as those who choose
To choose the Jews A Jewish god, yet spurn the Jews