Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default proper ratchet screwdriver

Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw? I
don't want a powered tool either. I can see some antiques on eBay but
nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 5, 2:25*pm, "Geoff Pearson" wrote:
Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver *that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw? *I
don't want a powered tool either. *I can see some antiques on eBay but
nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

Why not get an antique.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Geoff Pearson wrote:
Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw?
I don't want a powered tool either. I can see some antiques on eBay
but nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

You might do better buying an old but good one anyway. It's not like there
will have been developments since they were common.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 16:05:05 +0100
stuart noble wrote:

Even the old style have interchangeable bits

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ferrer=froogle

That's a new fangled one. The real ones are like this
http://www.antique-used-tools.com/Yank10A_sdr_4_New.jpg and he wants
US $99 for it. Doubt if my old one's worth anything though.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

Even the old style have interchangeable bits

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ferrer=froogle

That's what I call a "Barry Becknell" who remembers him?

That's a new fangled one. The real ones are like this
http://www.antique-used-tools.com/Yank10A_sdr_4_New.jpg and he wants
US $99 for it. Doubt if my old one's worth anything though.

I've got one of those, and still use it occasionally.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2012 14:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:
Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw?
I don't want a powered tool either. I can see some antiques on eBay but
nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

I'm all for tradition, but I'd never go back to one. Do you stick with
traditional slotted screws? (Permitted for antique repair, of course,
but then I'd use a normal screwdriver).

Since I never throw anything away I must have a Yankee somewhere, and a
couple of loose bits. Hands up who else remembers Barry Bucknell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

That's what I call a "Barry Becknell" who remembers him?

Almost nobody, sadly, largely because even when he was active he was totally
overshadowed by his much more famous imitator, Barry Bucknall.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 14:25:14 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
wrote:

Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw? I
don't want a powered tool either. I can see some antiques on eBay but
nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

Do you mean this?

http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/pro...atchet/ratchet

Several hardware stores near me are purported to be suppliers: check
the dealers list and see if there is anyone near you.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

....or even Barry Bucknell. Damn!

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Pearson wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't
have interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the
third screw? I don't want a powered tool either. I can see some
antiques on eBay but nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

What is wrong with interchangable bits?

They fall out and get lost

Easily fixed by supergluing the bit you want into the driver.

and you can never get the same turning force on them.

You can get much more actually with the better designed ones that
allow you to put a spanner on the non round shaft if you need to.

When the right antique turns up on eBay, I will buy it.

It is much easier to work on old things, like houses and
furniture, with the tools that made them in the first place

Dont agree with that when you can use proper modern
impact drivers that werent even available then.

(accepting that ratchets are only 75 years old).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw? I
don't want a powered tool either. I can see some antiques on eBay but
nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

Do you mean this?

http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/pro...atchet/ratchet

Several hardware stores near me are purported to be suppliers: check
the dealers list and see if there is anyone near you.

Nick

That's it - many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
b.com...
On 05/04/2012 14:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:
Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw?
I don't want a powered tool either. I can see some antiques on eBay but
nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

I'm all for tradition, but I'd never go back to one. Do you stick with
traditional slotted screws? (Permitted for antique repair, of course, but
then I'd use a normal screwdriver).

Since I never throw anything away I must have a Yankee somewhere, and a
couple of loose bits. Hands up who else remembers Barry Bucknell.

Barry Bucknell provided much work for many as we remove the lunacies he
purveyed - the hardboard cover on a nice panelled door, for example. Held
with panel pins - what else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Pearson wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
b.com...
On 05/04/2012 14:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:
Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw?
I don't want a powered tool either. I can see some antiques on eBay but
nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

I'm all for tradition, but I'd never go back to one. Do you stick with
traditional slotted screws? (Permitted for antique repair, of course, but
then I'd use a normal screwdriver).

Since I never throw anything away I must have a Yankee somewhere, and a
couple of loose bits. Hands up who else remembers Barry Bucknell.

Barry Bucknell provided much work for many as we remove the lunacies he
purveyed - the hardboard cover on a nice panelled door, for example. Held
with panel pins - what else.

Be grateful - if he lived in this century, it would have been "no more
nailed" on - think of the fun...
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

....or even Barry Bucknell. Damn!

Bert

What's a misplaced vowel between friend :-)

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
...or even Barry Bucknell. Damn!

Bert

What's a misplaced vowel between friend :-)

Mike

that will be a vowel movement, no doubt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
b.com...
On 05/04/2012 14:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:
Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw?
I don't want a powered tool either. I can see some antiques on eBay but
nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

I'm all for tradition, but I'd never go back to one. Do you stick with
traditional slotted screws? (Permitted for antique repair, of course, but
then I'd use a normal screwdriver).

Since I never throw anything away I must have a Yankee somewhere, and a
couple of loose bits. Hands up who else remembers Barry Bucknell.

He was my inspiration to get my hands on my Dad's engine. He had a program
on TV apart from DIY, that showed you how to take the engine out of a Morris
Minor 1000 and strip it down. And yes, before anyone asks, Dad did let strip
his engine down and put it back together without any spare screws (bolts)
left over and it worked first time. Would even consider doing it to a modern
car now.
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 5, 2:25*pm, "Geoff Pearson" wrote:
Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver *that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw? *I
don't want a powered tool either. *I can see some antiques on eBay but
nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

What would you like to pay for a pair of old Yankees in vgc with cross
and flat screwdriving bits?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 04:35:38 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

What would you like to pay for a pair of old Yankees

Ten dollah!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Apr 5, 2:25 pm, "Geoff Pearson" wrote:
Is it still possible buy a proper ratchet screwdriver that doesn't have
interchangeable tips and a handle that rips skin after the third screw?
don't want a powered tool either. I can see some antiques on eBay but
nothing new even from a junk maker like Draper.

What would you like to pay for a pair of old Yankees in vgc with cross
and flat screwdriving bits?

NT

If the Yankee is pump action then nothing. Sorry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2012 06:27, Geoff Pearson wrote:
If the Yankee is pump action then nothing. Sorry.

Why not?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 08/04/2012 06:27, Geoff Pearson wrote:
If the Yankee is pump action then nothing. Sorry.

Why not?

Andy

no control - jumps out of screw and ruins work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2012 18:04, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 08/04/2012 06:27, Geoff Pearson wrote:
If the Yankee is pump action then nothing. Sorry.

Why not?

Andy

no control - jumps out of screw and ruins work.

Lock the pump bit then. Still a whopping ratchet driver
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 7:46*pm, stuart noble wrote:
On 08/04/2012 18:04, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
.uk...
On 08/04/2012 06:27, Geoff Pearson wrote:
If the Yankee is pump action then nothing. Sorry.

Why not?

Andy

no control - jumps out of screw and ruins work.

Lock the pump bit then. Still a whopping ratchet driver

Spiralux yankee`s were much more robust than Stanleys

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2012 21:24, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Apr 8, 7:46 pm, stuart wrote:
On 08/04/2012 18:04, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"Andy wrote in message
. uk...
On 08/04/2012 06:27, Geoff Pearson wrote:
If the Yankee is pump action then nothing. Sorry.

Why not?

Andy

no control - jumps out of screw and ruins work.

Lock the pump bit then. Still a whopping ratchet driver

Spiralux yankee`s were much more robust than Stanleys

Cheers
Adam

Yes, my Stanley's only been around for about 40 years :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 7:46 pm, stuart wrote:
On 08/04/2012 18:04, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"Andy wrote in message
. uk...
On 08/04/2012 06:27, Geoff Pearson wrote:
If the Yankee is pump action then nothing. Sorry.

Why not?

Andy

no control - jumps out of screw and ruins work.

Lock the pump bit then. Still a whopping ratchet driver

Spiralux yankee`s were much more robust than Stanleys

Cheers
Adam

Yes, my Stanley's only been around for about 40 years :-)

I bought mine in 1962!

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 7:46 pm, stuart *wrote:
On 08/04/2012 18:04, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"Andy *wrote in message
et.uk...
On 08/04/2012 06:27, Geoff Pearson wrote:
If the Yankee is pump action then nothing. Sorry.

Why not?

Andy

no control - jumps out of screw and ruins work.

Lock the pump bit then. Still a whopping ratchet driver

Spiralux yankee`s were much more robust than Stanleys

Cheers
Adam

Yes, my Stanley's only been around for about 40 years :-)

One of my first jobs was fixing seats in a rock venue, they needed
fixing a lot.

Stanley tools in general are decent quality but Spiralux Yankee`s
easily outlived the Stanleys that tended to launch the ratchet out the
tube after some abuse. Cordless tools were just a fantasy at the time.

Looking it up Spiralux Tools Ltd was re-registered in 1997 , currently
dormant but leads to Spear and Jackson`s site.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2012 18:04, Geoff Pearson wrote:
no control - jumps out of screw and ruins work.

OK, nothing I didn't know about. Thanks.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
On 08/04/2012 18:04, Geoff Pearson wrote:
no control - jumps out of screw and ruins work.

OK, nothing I didn't know about. Thanks.

Pump action screwdrivers were very common in TV etc set construction. When
the BBC changed from slotted to Pozidriv screws in the '60s, accidental
injury from these screwdrivers dropped by 80%.

--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
On 08/04/2012 18:04, Geoff Pearson wrote:
no control - jumps out of screw and ruins work.

OK, nothing I didn't know about. Thanks.

Pump action screwdrivers were very common in TV etc set construction. When
the BBC changed from slotted to Pozidriv screws in the '60s, accidental
injury from these screwdrivers dropped by 80%.

I certainly bought mine for scenery building - at university.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
On 08/04/2012 18:04, Geoff Pearson wrote:
no control - jumps out of screw and ruins work.

OK, nothing I didn't know about. Thanks.

Pump action screwdrivers were very common in TV etc set construction.
When
the BBC changed from slotted to Pozidriv screws in the '60s, accidental
injury from these screwdrivers dropped by 80%.

I certainly bought mine for scenery building - at university.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

I use my screwdrivers as much for undoing screws as doing them up. Yankee
is no good for undoing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use my screwdrivers as much for undoing screws as doing them up.

Versatile aren't they? :-)

Ratchet spanners [email protected] Metalworking 13 August 21st 11 12:21 AM
small spiral-ratchet (Yankee-type) screwdriver John Stumbles UK diy 20 May 28th 08 01:16 AM
Rope ratchet Jay Hendry UK diy 19 June 25th 07 05:20 PM
Air V/S Electric ratchet tool SQLit Home Repair 3 May 30th 04 07:46 PM