Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carbon Monoxide detector

Any ideas on how to do a real functional test? I want to show a neighbour
that both of hers are working and have similar sensitivities. I won't want
to buy anything.

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 01 November 2013 17:07 DerbyBorn wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Any ideas on how to do a real functional test? I want to show a neighbour
that both of hers are working and have similar sensitivities. I won't want
to buy anything.

Cigarettes produce a certain amount of CO - but I'm not sure the
particulates in the smoke do CO detectors much good...

There may be a can of tester you can buy:

Perhaps:

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/detectaga...tector-tester/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2013 19:58, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 19:18:40 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 17:07:11 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Any ideas on how to do a real functional test? I want to show a neighbour
that both of hers are working and have similar sensitivities. I won't want
to buy anything.

Car exhaust has a significant CO content. Hold a large bin-bag over
the exhaust pipe of a car until the bag is full, then deflate it close
to the alarm. A repeat of the process should collect a similar
concentration of CO if the car engine is warm.

But ISTR that some CO alarms have a significant delay built in before
they go off. That was certainly the case twenty or so years ago, but
modern ones may have an instant response.

But I've just remembered that modern cars are fitted with catalytic
converters that are supposed to reduce or eliminate the CO content of
the exhaust, so find yourself an old car without one, or the exhaust
from a petrol mower or strimmer might do.

Then buy a new alarm in case the other pollutants have wrecked the sensor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any ideas on how to do a real functional test? I want to show a neighbour
that both of hers are working and have similar sensitivities. I won't want
to buy anything.

Car exhaust has a significant CO content. Hold a large bin-bag over
the exhaust pipe of a car until the bag is full, then deflate it close
to the alarm. A repeat of the process should collect a similar
concentration of CO if the car engine is warm.

But ISTR that some CO alarms have a significant delay built in before
they go off. That was certainly the case twenty or so years ago, but
modern ones may have an instant response.

Having just done a search and found this:
http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/media/...O_Detector.pdf
which contains the warning:
qNever test the detector with car exhaust or intentionally
introduce carbon monoxide through other methods.
These methods are dangerous and may damage the
detector./q

I guess it depends on the make, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2013 17:07, DerbyBorn wrote:
Any ideas on how to do a real functional test? I want to show a neighbour
that both of hers are working and have similar sensitivities. I won't want
to buy anything.

Without proper test equipment you can't do it. Suggestions to try using
vehicle exhaust are frankly bonkers.

--
Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 02 November 2013 13:28 Peter Crosland wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 01/11/2013 17:07, DerbyBorn wrote:
Any ideas on how to do a real functional test? I want to show a neighbour
that both of hers are working and have similar sensitivities. I won't
want to buy anything.

Without proper test equipment you can't do it. Suggestions to try using
vehicle exhaust are frankly bonkers.

There were 2 posts with links to the proper test gas in cans, mine being one
of them...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter panic quivered:-

Without proper test equipment you can't do it. Suggestions to try using vehicle exhaust are frankly bonkers.

How do you know your CO alarm works ?

More blind faith?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message

Peter panic quivered:-

Without proper test equipment you can't do it. Suggestions to try using
vehicle exhaust are frankly bonkers.

How do you know your CO alarm works ?

More blind faith?

Jim K

I don't have one.
Saves worrying about whether it works or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:24:31 -0000, Richard wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message

Peter panic quivered:-

Without proper test equipment you can't do it. Suggestions to try using
vehicle exhaust are frankly bonkers.

How do you know your CO alarm works ?

More blind faith?

Jim K

I don't have one.
Saves worrying about whether it works or not.

Neither do I. My boiler vents outside, why would I need one?

--
People who live in glass houses should **** in the basement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

2:24 PM Richard
-I don't have one. Saves worrying about
whether it works or not.

;-)
FFS don't tell Peter....

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:28:40 -0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Neither do I. My boiler vents outside, why would I need one?

I don't think there is a leag requirement for gas appliances, only
solid fuel ones.

Of course there are plenty of cases of people being killed by CO from
faulty gas appliances even "room sealed" ones.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2013 19:58, Chris Hogg wrote:
But I've just remembered that modern cars are fitted with catalytic
converters that are supposed to reduce or eliminate the CO content of
the exhaust

Only once they have warmed up. You can still kill yourself by letting
the car run in a garage. Just not reliably, it might warm up and just
leave you with an awful headache.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2013 14:40, Jim K wrote:
FFS don't tell Peter....

Peter's parrots are probably the best detector.

If they fall off their perches... it's called bioassay.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 4, 2013 10:34:17 PM UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 01/11/2013 19:58, Chris Hogg wrote:

But I've just remembered that modern cars are fitted with catalytic

converters that are supposed to reduce or eliminate the CO content of

the exhaust

Only once they have warmed up. You can still kill yourself by letting

the car run in a garage. Just not reliably, it might warm up and just

leave you with an awful headache.

Andy

But not if it is a diesel.

I learnt this, from one of our dealers, who sold industrial equipment, committed suicide. He had a duesel Transit van and new the diesel wouldn't kill him, so he took a petrol generator into the back of the van and started that up. That did the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:25:08 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:28:40 -0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Neither do I. My boiler vents outside, why would I need one?

I don't think there is a leag requirement for gas appliances, only
solid fuel ones.

Of course there are plenty of cases of people being killed by CO from
faulty gas appliances even "room sealed" ones.

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before it got bad enough to kill me.

--
WinError: Unable to exit Windows. Try the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:28:40 -0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Neither do I. My boiler vents outside, why would I need one?

I don't think there is a leag requirement for gas appliances, only
solid fuel ones.

Of course there are plenty of cases of people being killed by CO from
faulty gas appliances even "room sealed" ones.

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before it
got bad enough to kill me.

Good luck with that... Can I come to your Darwin Award ceremony?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

there are plenty of cases of people being killed by CO from
faulty gas appliances even "room sealed" ones.

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before it got bad enough to kill me.

Oh, would you?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:28:40 -0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Neither do I. My boiler vents outside, why would I need one?

I don't think there is a leag requirement for gas appliances, only
solid fuel ones.

Of course there are plenty of cases of people being killed by CO from
faulty gas appliances even "room sealed" ones.

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before it
got bad enough to kill me.

Good luck with that... Can I come to your Darwin Award ceremony?

What makes you think a leak would be sudden?

--
"Have you been hunting bear lately?"
"No, the grass tickles."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 09:45:20 -0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

there are plenty of cases of people being killed by CO from
faulty gas appliances even "room sealed" ones.

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before it got bad enough to kill me.

Oh, would you?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas"

Think before you make an arse of yourself.

--
"Have you been hunting bear lately?"
"No, the grass tickles."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tuesday 05 November 2013 09:33 Gefreiter Krueger wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before it
got bad enough to kill me.

Good luck with that... Can I come to your Darwin Award ceremony?

What makes you think a leak would be sudden?

What makes you think it wouldn't?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

there are plenty of cases of people being killed by CO from
faulty gas appliances even "room sealed" ones.

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before it
got bad enough to kill me.

Oh, would you?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas"

Think before you make an arse of yourself.

So your special nose can also detect the odour of CO2 and H2O?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tuesday 05 November 2013 09:33 Gefreiter Krueger wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before it
got bad enough to kill me.

Good luck with that... Can I come to your Darwin Award ceremony?

What makes you think a leak would be sudden?

What makes you think it wouldn't?

Experience.

--
What's a diaphragm?
A trampoline for dickheads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

there are plenty of cases of people being killed by CO from
faulty gas appliances even "room sealed" ones.

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before it
got bad enough to kill me.

Oh, would you?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas"

Think before you make an arse of yourself.

So your special nose can also detect the odour of CO2 and H2O?

No, try again.

--
The remarkable thing about my mother is that for 30 years she served us nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found. -- Calvin Trillin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before it
got bad enough to kill me.

Oh, would you?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas"

Think before you make an arse of yourself.

So your special nose can also detect the odour of CO2 and H2O?

Please don't talk him into getting a detector. It would be a win-win
all round if he died.

He won't. I don't do safety. Poofters do safety.

--
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before
it got bad enough to kill me.

Oh, would you?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas"

Think before you make an arse of yourself.

So your special nose can also detect the odour of CO2 and H2O?

Please don't talk him into getting a detector. It would be a win-win
all round if he died.

He won't. I don't do safety. Poofters do safety.

Good for you. You can die safe in the knowledge that you were not a poofter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

there are plenty of cases of people being killed by CO from
faulty gas appliances even "room sealed" ones.

If stuff starts leaking into the house I'd notice funny smells before
it got bad enough to kill me.

Oh, would you?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas"

Think before you make an arse of yourself.

So your special nose can also detect the odour of CO2 and H2O?

No, try again.

You're a tosser?

Sorry - running out of possibilities...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 05 November 2013 12:10 Gefreiter Krueger wrote in uk.d-i-y:
He won't. I don't do safety. Poofters do safety.

Good for you. You can die safe in the knowledge that you were not a poofter.

Unlikely. The ex-lootenant's posts seem to have been written by a simple
minded AI ritten by a 14 year old script kiddy. As such, the only things
that can kill it are hardware failure or a power cut.

Talking of which, it must have been installed in a faster computer
recently, as it's posting a lot more.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Think before you make an arse of yourself.

So your special nose can also detect the odour of CO2 and H2O?

Please don't talk him into getting a detector. It would be a win-win
all round if he died.

He won't. I don't do safety. Poofters do safety.

Good for you. You can die safe in the knowledge that you were not a poofter.

I don't worry about remote possibilities, unlike big girls blouses like yourself.

--
Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Oh, would you?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas"

Think before you make an arse of yourself.

So your special nose can also detect the odour of CO2 and H2O?

No, try again.

You're a tosser?

Sorry - running out of possibilities...

Gas is flavoured. You can still smell that scent after it's burnt. Go stick your nose near the vent of your boiler.

--
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours -- Stephen Roberts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 20:17:28 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 05 November 2013 12:10 Gefreiter Krueger wrote in uk.d-i-y:
He won't. I don't do safety. Poofters do safety.

Good for you. You can die safe in the knowledge that you were not a poofter.

Unlikely. The ex-lootenant's posts seem to have been written by a simple
minded AI ritten by a 14 year old script kiddy. As such, the only things
that can kill it are hardware failure or a power cut.

Talking of which, it must have been installed in a faster computer
recently, as it's posting a lot more.

i5 4670K, 32GB RAM, twin 256GB Crucial M500 SSDs, twin Seagate Barracuda 3TB disks, Radeon HD 7970 graphics, and a ten inch fan that glows red.

--
If sex is a pain in the ass, then you're doing it wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2013 20:18, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Gas is flavoured. You can still smell that scent after it's burnt. Go
stick your nose near the vent of your boiler.

Go get your boiler fixed then!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 21:15:04 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 05/11/2013 20:18, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Gas is flavoured. You can still smell that scent after it's burnt. Go
stick your nose near the vent of your boiler.

Go get your boiler fixed then!

I mean the OUTSIDE vent. Can you not smell burning gas?

--
Bikini e pareo, camicia di pizzo e shorts, top e gonna di crochet!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/11/2013 20:18, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Gas is flavoured. You can still smell that scent after it's burnt. Go
stick your nose near the vent of your boiler.

Go get your boiler fixed then!

I mean the OUTSIDE vent. Can you not smell burning gas?

If it is burning properly and cleanly then you shouldn't be able to. You
can't smell CO which is what makes it so deadly in a confined space.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/11/2013 20:18, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Gas is flavoured. You can still smell that scent after it's burnt. Go
stick your nose near the vent of your boiler.

Go get your boiler fixed then!

I mean the OUTSIDE vent. Can you not smell burning gas?

If it is burning properly and cleanly then you shouldn't be able to. You
can't smell CO which is what makes it so deadly in a confined space.

If it's producing CO then there will be other gases you can smell.

Anyway I can smell a brand new boiler running, my neighbour's for example. I've never encountered a gas appliance I can't smell. Nothing is 100% clean and only makes CO2 and H2O. If it was that good there would be no CO.

--
I failed my audition as Romeo through a misunderstanding over a stage direction. In my script it clearly said, "Enter Juliette from the rear."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/11/2013 20:18, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Gas is flavoured. You can still smell that scent after it's burnt. Go
stick your nose near the vent of your boiler.

Go get your boiler fixed then!

I mean the OUTSIDE vent. Can you not smell burning gas?

A small but statistically significant percentage of people can't smell
the stenchant until it gets to a high concentration.

And, as has been said, if your boiler is working correctly, then the
stenchant is completely decomposed by the heat, so if you can smell it
in your boiler exhaust, your boiler is broken.

The only time I can smell the exhaust of my propane burning, non-sealed
water heater is when the gas bottle is nearly empty, and for about a
week, the concentration of the stenchant in the gas is sufficiently high
for some of it to survive the heat of the pilot light. It's a very handy
arning that I need to buy a new bottle of gas *now*.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/11/2013 20:18, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Gas is flavoured. You can still smell that scent after it's burnt. Go
stick your nose near the vent of your boiler.

Go get your boiler fixed then!

I mean the OUTSIDE vent. Can you not smell burning gas?

A small but statistically significant percentage of people can't smell
the stenchant until it gets to a high concentration.

Oh poor them....

And, as has been said, if your boiler is working correctly, then the
stenchant is completely decomposed by the heat, so if you can smell it
in your boiler exhaust, your boiler is broken.

As is everyone else's then.

And if it's working correctly there will be no CO.

The only time I can smell the exhaust of my propane burning, non-sealed
water heater is when the gas bottle is nearly empty, and for about a
week, the concentration of the stenchant in the gas is sufficiently high
for some of it to survive the heat of the pilot light. It's a very handy
arning that I need to buy a new bottle of gas *now*.

Isn't it easier to have a spare bottle and switch it over? That's what my uncle does with his static caravan.

--
My sister-in-law sat on my glasses and broke them. It was my own fault. I should have taken them off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:46:27 AM UTC, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

What makes you think a leak would be sudden?

What makes you think it wouldn't?

Experience.

A lack of experience coupled with naive self-delusion.

Like why teenagers are all really skilful drivers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:17:28 PM UTC, John Williamson wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

On Tuesday 05 November 2013 12:10 Gefreiter Krueger wrote in uk.d-i-y:

He won't. I don't do safety. Poofters do safety.

Oddly, almost the exact opposite of reality.
In one of Andy McNab's books, he commented that the SNCOs in the SAS, who'd had much experience
of many young people getting damaged in various ways, generally became safety conscious and OCDish about their own kids.

Good for you. You can die safe in the knowledge that you were not a poofter.

Unlikely. The ex-lootenant's posts seem to have been written by a simple

minded AI ritten by a 14 year old script kiddy. As such, the only things

that can kill it are hardware failure or a power cut.

Gefreiter = Corporal.
OT (ex-Falschirmjaeger).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 10:34:13 AM UTC, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

If it's producing CO then there will be other gases you can smell.

Probably not; there are odours in some cases, not in others,.
A CO leak will also deplete the oxygen level in the room. A low level will send you to sleep and kill you over some hours. It also distorts your perception and makes you lethargic.

Anyway I can smell a brand new boiler running, my neighbour's for example. I've never encountered a gas appliance I can't smell. Nothing is 100% clean and only makes CO2 and H2O. If it was that good there would be no CO.

--

I failed my audition as Romeo through a misunderstanding over a stage direction. In my script it clearly said, "Enter Juliette from the rear."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 00:57:23 -0000, Onetap wrote:

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:46:27 AM UTC, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

What makes you think a leak would be sudden?

What makes you think it wouldn't?

Experience.

A lack of experience coupled with naive self-delusion.

Like why teenagers are all really skilful drivers.

They maybe are. They just take more risks because unlike you they know how to have fun.

--
System error 4C: kernel panic