Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Carbon Monoxide detector

Can anyone recommend a competitively priced replacement for my CO detector
that has prematurely reached the end of its life please?

It's a 'Model SF350EN', labeled 'British Gas' and its supplier, SF
Detection, want an exorbitant £30 to replace it. Seems daylight robbery to
me. They insist the whole unit needs replacing 'because the sensor dries
out'.

The sticker on mine says 'Replace by January 2012', and given that it was
only installed a couple of years ago I feel short-changed.

I'm tempted to try making one myself. I made a smoke alarm many years ago
which I vaguely recall used a gas sensor as its principal component. Are
CO sensors similar and easily obtained?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Terry Pinnell schrieb:
Can anyone recommend a competitively priced replacement for my CO detector
that has prematurely reached the end of its life please?

It's a 'Model SF350EN', labeled 'British Gas' and its supplier, SF
Detection, want an exorbitant £30 to replace it. Seems daylight robbery to
me. They insist the whole unit needs replacing 'because the sensor dries
out'.

The sticker on mine says 'Replace by January 2012', and given that it was
only installed a couple of years ago I feel short-changed.

I'm tempted to try making one myself. I made a smoke alarm many years ago
which I vaguely recall used a gas sensor as its principal component. Are
CO sensors similar and easily obtained?

Have a look he

http://www.figarosensor.com/

HTH,

Jorgen
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Can anyone recommend a competitively priced replacement for my CO detector
that has prematurely reached the end of its life please?

If you go to that famous acution site, use advanced search to select UK only
and buy it now, you will find many of them under $20 (US) with free postage
to the UK. Obvoiusly the price is in UKP, but I since I have my currency set
to US dollars, they are automaticaly converted for me.

Last I looked, that's about 12 pounds 50.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Occam's Razor does not apply to electronics. If something won't turn on, it's
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:

Can anyone recommend a competitively priced replacement for my CO detector
that has prematurely reached the end of its life please?

It's a 'Model SF350EN', labeled 'British Gas' and its supplier, SF
Detection, want an exorbitant £30 to replace it. Seems daylight robbery to
me. They insist the whole unit needs replacing 'because the sensor dries
out'.

The sticker on mine says 'Replace by January 2012', and given that it was
only installed a couple of years ago I feel short-changed.

I'm tempted to try making one myself. I made a smoke alarm many years ago
which I vaguely recall used a gas sensor as its principal component. Are
CO sensors similar and easily obtained?

If I thought I needed a CO detector - which I don't - I'd not shop for
one based on price. I don't get the logic, there. Aren't you intending
to trust your life to it? Or is this just a junior high school science
experiment?