Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's the life of a carbon monoxide detector?

Our house is 14 years old.
This morning, we all woke up feeling dizzy and lightheaded.
The kids and adults ate different food last night, and we all feel
like this.

So I'm paranoid. I'm going to go get a new CO detector.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 11:43*am, wrote:
Our house is 14 years old.
This morning, we all woke up feeling dizzy and lightheaded.
The kids and adults ate different food last night, and we all feel
like this.

So I'm paranoid. *I'm going to go get a new CO detector.

Thay dont have to alarm to get sick, get one with digital read out and
memory button, It should read zero or you have issues, they dont alarm
till a certain amount is reached for a period of time, just check the
peak level every day, if it goes to even 20 I would start looking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:43:24 GMT, wrote:

So I'm paranoid. I'm going to go get a new CO detector.

Came home with a new detector. No alrams.
But I'm curious, what are sources of CO in a home?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:38:52 GMT, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:43:24 GMT, wrote:

So I'm paranoid. I'm going to go get a new CO detector.

Came home with a new detector. No alrams.
But I'm curious, what are sources of CO in a home?

go to google. search for "residential carbon monoxide sources"
Posted to alt.home.repair

When they first came out at least one brand incorporated the "sensor" with
the battery. The sensor has somekind of "artificial" blood with
respospnded to the CO in much the same manner as human blood.

In any house with gas appliance you should have one or two CO detectors with
one being a "digital readout" type. These will show very small amounts of
CO such as what happens when you burn something in the stove. The response
to small levels gives you confidence that it will sound the alarm if the
need arises.

wrote in message
Our house is 14 years old.
This morning, we all woke up feeling dizzy and lightheaded.
The kids and adults ate different food last night, and we all feel
like this.

So I'm paranoid. I'm going to go get a new CO detector.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 12:38*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:43:24 GMT, wrote:
So I'm paranoid. *I'm going to go get a new CO detector.

Came home with a new detector. *No alrams.
But I'm curious, what are sources of CO in a home?

You have to let it operate 24 hours, a animal in a chimney, bad flue
pipes, bad furnace, defective heating cause it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:38:52 GMT, wrote:

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:43:24 GMT, wrote:

So I'm paranoid. I'm going to go get a new CO detector.

Came home with a new detector. No alrams.
But I'm curious, what are sources of CO in a home?

Anything that has an internal combustion engine, gas appliances, or
anything that burns. There is a small amount of CO present in the air
and it is in equilibrium with carbon dioxide. Pouring water on hot
coals will produce a lot of CO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I know the gas company will come out if you smell gas, but will they
come out and check for CO if we all feel sick?

My dizzyness has turned to nausea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm going to call the gas company and see if they will come out with
an instrument. Not sure if they will (or if they will for FREE), but
it's worth a call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:43:24 GMT, wrote:

So I'm paranoid. I'm going to go get a new CO detector.

Came home with a new detector. No alrams.
But I'm curious, what are sources of CO in a home?

Hope you didn't screw up already. Did you buy one with the digital display
or not?

Lets say the threshold limit is 400 parts per million, or whatever it is for
CO.

Lets say you have a concentration of 389ppm. It's not going to alert. But
wouldn't you want to know if there was ANY CO around so you could find the
source before it got to bad levels. That's the problems with most of those
detectors. They usually go off after you're passed out. Even the properly
working ones with digital readouts will give you readings from traffic, a
car entering or leaving your garage, a wood stove that's perfectly vented,
and other things. But you do want to know what the level is before it
reaches the critical stage.

Steve

You're not entirely correct. A CO detector with a digital display is
preferable for tracking intermittent sources and general peace of mind.
It is not true however that a detector is not going to alert for a CO
reading slightly under a threshold. CO detectors use a time weighted
alarm model and will alarm very fast for really high levels and with
more of a delay for lower levels. The threshold where they really won't
alarm at all is very low. The paperwork that comes with the detectors
generally lists the threshold levels and times, or you can find it on
the manufacturers sites.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm going to call the gas company and see if they will come out with
an instrument. Not sure if they will (or if they will for FREE), but
it's worth a call.

Also if you have gas, you should consider the dual CO/GAS alarms that
are available for not much more, since gas is it's own hazard without
necessarily having CO present. Also note for these combo alarms the
mounting location needs to vary depending on whether you have nat. gas
or LP gas since nat. gas rises and LP gas sinks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our house is 14 years old.
This morning, we all woke up feeling dizzy and lightheaded.
The kids and adults ate different food last night, and we all feel
like this.

So I'm paranoid. I'm going to go get a new CO detector.

I don't know of any that have anything near 14 year sensor lives. I
think 3-4 years is typical for sensor life. All the newer CO detectors
have self test modes and sensor life monitors to alert you when the
sensor has reached the end of it's life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 3:13*pm, "SteveB" toquerville,utah@zionvistas wrote:

Lets say the threshold limit is 400 parts per million, or whatever it is for
CO.

Good guess! The following is from the FirstAlert website:

Current UL Standard 2034 limits for CO alarms to sound a
• 30ppm for 30 days
• 150ppm for 10-50 minutes
• 70ppm for 60-240 minutes
• 400ppm for 4-15 minutes

Any alarm that meets the UL standard needs to alarm at the above
cumulative levels.

As far as checking things out, I would think the Fire Department would
respond to a call to check for CO.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh my God.

I called the fire department's non-emergency number, because someone
told me they will do a carbon monoxide check as a public service.

They sent a fire truck and three ambulances to our house with full
sirens and lights! It was a freak show. I felt like such an idiot!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oh my God.

I called the fire department's non-emergency number, because someone
told me they will do a carbon monoxide check as a public service.

They sent a fire truck and three ambulances to our house with full
sirens and lights! It was a freak show. I felt like such an idiot!

What did they find? How is everyone feeling? A whole family with
complaints of being dizzy
and light headed is not something to ignore. What was the food? Did
you call a doc?

I know of two families who had CO poisoning but not very ill. The
first, a bad furnace. The
second, a fireplace pulling exhaust from gas appliances into the home.
When the first family
had their furnace checked, the CO level was so high the guy wouldn't let
them go back in the
house. They had had headaches and mild nausea. I had been in their
home, with my family, and
my eyes burned like someone put acid in them, but rest of my family had
no symptoms. I felt the
burning in my eyes as soon as I went into the house, and my family was
there longer than I. I
mentioned it to the head of the maintenance dept. where I work, and he
is the one who clued us
as to the CO problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:39:09 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

What did they find? How is everyone feeling?

No CO anywhere. They said we were right to suspect it, and that "Full
Response" is just the standard way they operate.

But my poor mother-in-law was down the street and she freaked.
She came running to the house crying. The last time we had an
emergency, my wife had had a brain aneurysm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2008 12:58 PM spake thus:

I know the gas company will come out if you smell gas, but will they
come out and check for CO if we all feel sick?

My dizzyness has turned to nausea.

That sure sounds like CO poisoning to me. (Don't ask me how I know that.)

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

wrote:
I know the gas company will come out if you smell gas, but will they
come out and check for CO if we all feel sick?

My dizzyness has turned to nausea.

If you are nauseous and suspect CO, I would not spend another night in
the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I know the gas company will come out if you smell gas, but will they
come out and check for CO if we all feel sick?

My dizzyness has turned to nausea.

Sounds like the flu

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
I know the gas company will come out if you smell gas, but will they
come out and check for CO if we all feel sick?

My dizzyness has turned to nausea.

If you are nauseous and suspect CO, I would not spend another night in
the house.

Beebop down to the Borg and get a digital. It will tell you in sixty
seconds what your CO level is, even if it's three points under the danger
level, which the audible only won't. It's your life. Spend ten bucks more.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:59:16 -0800, "SteveB"

"CJT" wrote in message
I know the gas company will come out if you smell gas, but will they
come out and check for CO if we all feel sick?

My dizzyness has turned to nausea.

If you are nauseous and suspect CO, I would not spend another night in
the house.

Beebop down to the Borg and get a digital. It will tell you in sixty
seconds what your CO level is, even if it's three points under the danger
level, which the audible only won't. It's your life. Spend ten bucks more.

Steve

I have "Nighthawk" digital readout CO detectors on each level of the
house. I replace them at around 10 years. These are plug in and have
battery backup. I cycle the older ones to the attic, basement, and
garage. My hard-wired smoke detectors are over 20 years old, but
still work fine. I know that because the SWMBO attempts to cook
something once in awhile. I think WalMart has the recommended
"Nighthawk" CO detector with digital readout, about $40. Use the
upholstery vacuum attachment and dust off and test detectors once a
year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

To answer my original question,l the fire department said the lifespan
of a CO detector is 5-7 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
wrote:

I know the gas company will come out if you smell gas, but will they
come out and check for CO if we all feel sick?

My dizzyness has turned to nausea.

Sounds like the flu

Hmmm,
Then you call FD.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
wrote:

Our house is 14 years old.
This morning, we all woke up feeling dizzy and lightheaded.
The kids and adults ate different food last night, and we all feel
like this.

So I'm paranoid. I'm going to go get a new CO detector.

I don't know of any that have anything near 14 year sensor lives. I
think 3-4 years is typical for sensor life. All the newer CO detectors
have self test modes and sensor life monitors to alert you when the
sensor has reached the end of it's life.

Several years ago I bought glass ampules containing a defined quantity
of carbon monoxide from a fire department supply house...extinguisher
recharging, etc.

The ampule and the CO detector are placed in a known volume container (a
ziplok like bag.) The ampule is then broken and the time to an alarm is
measured. Since I have a wood stove in my bedroom, and use several
cords each winter I repeat this test every other month throughout the
winter. No detector faults so far.

Boden

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
To answer my original question,l the fire department said the lifespan
of a CO detector is 5-7 years.

If you ever need help again, do not hesitate to ask.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 1:12*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Open the windows for an hour. Let in some fresh air. See if that helps. It
may be a very low grade toxic, and blowing the house out may give you a
couple days relief.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CJT" wrote in message

I know the gas company will come out if you smell gas, but will they
come out and check for CO if we all feel sick?

My dizzyness has turned to nausea.

If you are nauseous and suspect CO, I would not spend another night in
the house.

minimize spam. *Our true address is of the form .

The life of a carbon monoxide detector is empty and meaningless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/30/2008 10:11 AM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

How do you kn...... oh, nevermind.

(Asked in reply to statement about how I know that dizziness and nausea
are sure signs of CO poisoning.)

Story is I was working for a guy out in the country and staying at his
place. One morning we both woke up feeling like ****, massive headaches,
both wandered outside separately and puked. Turns out he had just gotten
a new propane-powered fridge that he'd neglected to vent properly. Phew!

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Advice on carbon monoxide detector for home use? [email protected] Home Ownership 8 March 4th 07 05:19 PM
carbon monoxide detectors? ap Home Ownership 2 October 6th 06 01:04 PM
Carbon Monoxide poisoning ? Colin Wilson UK diy 48 August 19th 06 12:20 PM
Carbon monoxide Dee UK diy 5 October 5th 05 05:01 PM
Carbon Monoxide Detector F UK diy 18 February 4th 05 01:59 PM