Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Advice on carbon monoxide detector for home use?

Hi all....

I'm in need on a CO detector for home use

I'm seeing many combo CO detectors....either a combo CO
and smoke.... or combo CO and natural gas unit.

Is there any value to buy such a combo unit or is it
best to have sep units for each function?

If combo units are good thing..... WHICH combo model?
the CO and smoke.... or CO and natural gas?
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Feb 28, 3:07 pm, (Todd H.) wrote:
writes:
Hi all....

I'm in need on a CO detector for home use

I'm seeing many combo CO detectors....either a combo CO
and smoke.... or combo CO and natural gas unit.

Is there any value to buy such a combo unit or is it
best to have sep units for each function?

If combo units are good thing..... WHICH combo model?
the CO and smoke.... or CO and natural gas?

Kiddie Nighthawk plug in model, end of story. If you want reliable
non falsing CO detection, that's what 2 fire departments have
recommended to me.

--
Todd H. http://toddh.net/

I think a lot depends on what you already have. Just about
everywhere, smoke detectors are already required, at least one on each
level. So, if you have more than one smoke detector and already meet
code reqts, you may want to make an additional unit a combo NG one.
However, I'd always give first priority to CO, because NG is much
easier to detect, having an obvious odor at concentrations an order of
magnitude below the combustible level.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

(Todd H.) wrote:

Kiddie Nighthawk plug in model, end of story.

Yeah..... don't the First Alert models have slower
reaction times than Kidde?

Seems like I heard that somewhere but cant conform it

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 01:01:09 GMT, kjw wrote:

It is my understandng that the combo units aren't nearly as good as
smoke rises and CO sinks. Putting a smoke detector low won't do much
good, nor would a CO do much good high.

CO does not sink. CO has a molecular weight of 28, the same as
nitrogen which makes up the majority of our atmosphere.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 11:56:34 -0600, someone wrote:

CO does not sink. CO has a molecular weight of 28, the same as
nitrogen which makes up the majority of our atmosphere.

Yeah, so doesn't rise either.

We don't have natural gas.

The damn house is already full of smoke detectors; in my state at
least, not only on "each level" but also in each bedroom as well as
hallways outside the bedrooms.

Whereas CO only arises from a fuel buring appliance, which in my house
is only located in the basement (yeah, we have those here).

I'm gonna get around to buying one to put at near the basement stair.
There is presently a run on them in my area as we just had a local
case in the local news where some elderly people where gassed by CO
from a clogged oil furnace/boiler (wasn't clear which) flue. The news
also said that the heating system had recently been serviced; if true,
then maybe somebody's gonna get sued?

carbon monoxide alarm Zephyr Home Repair 40 February 12th 07 10:17 PM
Carbon Monoxide Detectors [email protected] UK diy 3 October 23rd 06 08:16 PM
Carbon Monoxide poisoning ? Colin Wilson UK diy 48 August 19th 06 12:20 PM
Carbon monoxide Dee UK diy 5 October 5th 05 05:01 PM
Carbon Monoxide Detector F UK diy 18 February 4th 05 01:59 PM