Posted to misc.consumers.house
Joe Negron Joe Negron is offline

Default Advice on carbon monoxide detector for home use?

On 2007-03-02, kjw wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:51:39 -0600, wrote:

Hi all....

I'm in need on a CO detector for home use

I'm seeing many combo CO detectors....either a combo CO
and smoke.... or combo CO and natural gas unit.

Is there any value to buy such a combo unit or is it
best to have sep units for each function?

If combo units are good thing..... WHICH combo model?
the CO and smoke.... or CO and natural gas?

It is my understandng that the combo units aren't nearly as good as
smoke rises and CO sinks. Putting a smoke detector low won't do much
good, nor would a CO do much good high.

CO sinks? I don't think so. The instructions of the model I have (CO
Experts) recommends for it to be placed at approximately head level.

I vaguely recall that CO has about the same weight as air.

By 1960 work will be limited to three hours a day.

--John Langdon-Davies, "A Short History of the Future", 1936

War is good for business - invest your son.

--antiwar bumper sticker from the 1960s