Default Carbon Monoxide Detector

Our First Alert CO Detector (model FACORS-UK) is beeping so it's time to
either get a new one or replace the detector/battery cartridge.

Anyone got any ideas on a similar detector at a lower price, a better
detector at a simliar price or a source of a cheap refill cartridge?

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Anna Kettle

On 22 Jan 2005 16:58:14 GMT, F wrote:

Our First Alert CO Detector (model FACORS-UK) is beeping so it's time to
either get a new one or replace the detector/battery cartridge.

Anyone got any ideas on a similar detector at a lower price, a better
detector at a simliar price or a source of a cheap refill cartridge?

Homebase. £5.99 credit card sized. Lasts for one year

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Gel

=A35.99 ONE IS A CO PATCH ONLY; useful for Coroners, to confirm cause of
death!
It just changes colour, but gives no audible alarm.
B& Q have good range of electronic CO
alarms.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...339&entryFlag=
=3Dfalse&PRODID=3D167533
or Argos:
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...y?storeId=3D1=
0001&langId=3D-1&catalogId=3D3151&productId=3D129510&clickfrom=3D name

"Gel" wrote in
oups.com:

Argos:
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...isplay?storeId
=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=129510&clickfrom=name

Looks interesting - thanks.

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:58:14 +0000, F wrote:

Our First Alert CO Detector (model FACORS-UK) is beeping so it's time to
either get a new one or replace the detector/battery cartridge.

Anyone got any ideas on a similar detector at a lower price, a better
detector at a simliar price or a source of a cheap refill cartridge?

Whatis it that you are trying to monitor?

Invariably when I see these they are installed along side room sealed
boilers, where the possibility of serious amounts of CO entering the room
is very remote indeed.

They should only ever be used along open flued appliances or flueless
appliances. They are not, absolutely not, a substitute for regular and
conscientious maintenance.

The spot cards get dark without CO over time the electronic ones have a
limited life.

Ed Sirett wrote in
news
Whatis it that you are trying to monitor?

Invariably when I see these they are installed along side room sealed
boilers, where the possibility of serious amounts of CO entering the
room is very remote indeed.

They should only ever be used along open flued appliances or flueless
appliances. They are not, absolutely not, a substitute for regular and
conscientious maintenance.

In the same room as a Baxi Bermuda 'fireback' boiler. Not trying to cut
down on maintenance, just trying to head off anything nasty (fatal?) if
there's a 'problem'.

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Gel

Limited life on Kidde is 5 years as per Guarantee; which is 5 times
longer than patch!
One at Argos {New cat from yesterday} has benefit of digital display
too, at same price as B&Q's without!

Absolutely not a substitute for servicing; but in my experience gas
cooker grills regular
cause.

Few people have this appliance serviced; even tenants who have
landlords appliances
checked by Corgi engineer annually {in UK}. Cooker in 95% of cases is
not owned by landlord except HMO type dwellings.

HSE research into long term reliability* of CO alarms found Kidde [then
also called Nighthawk on some models] & 1 other make, hard to find at
retail, were ONLY ones reliable.

*Majority [using cheap co sensor cells] drift off specification after
year or so, so don't respond as they are meant to, giving people false
sense of security.

al

"Gel" wrote in message

Absolutely not a substitute for servicing; but in my experience gas
cooker grills regular
cause.

With regard to boiler servicing, does it make any difference when in the
year you service it? What I mean is is there any benefit to having it
serviced in the autumn just before you start using it heavily or the spring,
just after you do?

Something I seriously need to sort out as ours hasn't been done since we
moved into this house two years ago.

Gel

You may well get a better price quoted in springtime, when most
householders have switched
off central heating!

Owain

"Gel" wrote
| Absolutely not a substitute for servicing; but in my experience gas
| cooker grills regular cause.
| Few people have this appliance serviced; even tenants who have
| landlords appliances checked by Corgi engineer annually {in UK}.
| Cooker in 95% of cases is not owned by landlord except HMO
| type dwellings.

AIUI *all* gas appliances in rented property must have a 'Landlord's'
certificate and there is a space on the form to indicate who owns the
appliance.

Owain

Gel

Some landlords forbid tenants having own gas appliances, but some do I
can assure you, even portable calor type heaters

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:53:19 +0000, Owain wrote:

"Gel" wrote
| Absolutely not a substitute for servicing; but in my experience gas
| cooker grills regular cause.
| Few people have this appliance serviced; even tenants who have
| landlords appliances checked by Corgi engineer annually {in UK}.
| Cooker in 95% of cases is not owned by landlord except HMO
| type dwellings.

AIUI *all* gas appliances in rented property must have a 'Landlord's'
certificate and there is a space on the form to indicate who owns the
appliance.

Indeed.
I would however dispute the 95% not owned by Landlord, in the
sector I am familiar with which is shorthold lets (generally 6months to a
few years) I would say the proportion is 95% owned by the landlord.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:23:12 +0000, Ed Sirett
wrote:

Whatis it that you are trying to monitor?

Friend of mine has one above his propane blacksmithing forge.
Re-arranging the extractor hood made a huge difference to the CO
levels where we were standing, as does the wind direction on the
extractor vent.
Christian McArdle

I would however dispute the 95% not owned by Landlord, in the
sector I am familiar with which is shorthold lets (generally 6months to a
few years) I would say the proportion is 95% owned by the landlord.

Yes, I've rented a few houses in my time and knew of loads of others. I've
never seen one that came without a cooker or fridge, although luck dictates
if you get a washing machine or freezer and I never came across a dishwasher
or tumble dryer that wasn't tenant owned.

Christian.

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:20:59 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

I would however dispute the 95% not owned by Landlord, in the
sector I am familiar with which is shorthold lets (generally 6months to a
few years) I would say the proportion is 95% owned by the landlord.

Yes, I've rented a few houses in my time and knew of loads of others. I've
never seen one that came without a cooker or fridge, although luck dictates
if you get a washing machine or freezer and I never came across a dishwasher
or tumble dryer that wasn't tenant owned.

Christian.

Dishwashers would come with the flat for the top of the market.
I.e 3 bed mansion flats in St. John Wood. with 'corporate' tenants.

Pete C

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:53:20 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Dishwashers would come with the flat for the top of the market.
I.e 3 bed mansion flats in St. John Wood. with 'corporate' tenants.

I wish! ;-)

I had a house share in Swindon that came with a dishwasher...

cheers,
Pete
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:00:29 +0000, Pete C
wrote:

I had a house share in Swindon that came with a dishwasher...

I ...had a farm ...in Africa

Nah, somehow it's just not the same.

Pete C

wrote:

I had a house share in Swindon that came with a dishwasher...

I ...had a farm ...in Africa

Nah, somehow it's just not the same.

Indeed, no magic roundabout...

cheers,
Pete.
Gel

But their own are not checked/serviced.
Current "Gas Installer" mag confirms your comments ie
"..should be recorded onThe Landlords Gas Safety Record form, id'ing
make/model/location & also indicating THAT THE APPLIANCE HAS NOT BEEN
TESTED."

And if tenancy agreement forbids such appliances, tenant is hardly
likely to reveal his portable Calor Gas room heater I'd wager!

First Alert CO2 Detector F UK diy 2 January 22nd 05 10:19 PM
What amount of CO2 Carbon Dioxide is reasonable in the home to maintain good health 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 19 December 6th 04 01:54 AM
Home Water Purifier - Carbon Filter system - Time to Change? Terry Gho Home Ownership 0 March 11th 04 04:21 AM
Wiring for detector base Alistair Electronics Repair 0 January 27th 04 08:47 PM