Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carbon Monoxide detector

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 21:15:04 -0000, dennis@home
wrote:

On 05/11/2013 20:18, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Gas is flavoured. You can still smell that scent after it's burnt. Go
stick your nose near the vent of your boiler.

Go get your boiler fixed then!

I mean the OUTSIDE vent. Can you not smell burning gas?

A small but statistically significant percentage of people can't smell
the stenchant until it gets to a high concentration.

And, as has been said, if your boiler is working correctly, then the
stenchant is completely decomposed by the heat, so if you can smell it
in your boiler exhaust, your boiler is broken.

The only time I can smell the exhaust of my propane burning, non-sealed
water heater is when the gas bottle is nearly empty, and for about a
week, the concentration of the stenchant in the gas is sufficiently high
for some of it to survive the heat of the pilot light. It's a very handy
arning that I need to buy a new bottle of gas *now*.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.