Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oven temps

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:52:59 AM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 00:05:29 +0100, Clive George wrote:
Commercially made pasta probably already contains tons of salt.

Ingredient : Durum wheat semolina
That's ingredient, not ingredients.

That's not the totality of ingredients. Unless, of course, you've just
bought a bag of flour.

Water doesn't (legally) count as an ingredient. Salt does.

Hmm. The manufacturers *might* be able to sneak salt in if they
used sea-water to make the pasta. Dunno (but if they did, they'd
be advertising "made with seawater").
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2013 15:38, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:52:59 AM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 00:05:29 +0100, Clive George wrote:
Commercially made pasta probably already contains tons of salt.
Ingredient : Durum wheat semolina
That's ingredient, not ingredients.

That's not the totality of ingredients. Unless, of course, you've just
bought a bag of flour.

Water doesn't (legally) count as an ingredient. Salt does.

Hmm. The manufacturers *might* be able to sneak salt in if they
used sea-water to make the pasta. Dunno (but if they did, they'd
be advertising "made with seawater").

Not sure you are right. We see water or aqua mentioned in the ingredient
lists of large numbers of large numbers of food products these days. Am
wondering if the rues changed?

In medicines, we see even some bone dry tablets with an ingredient of
water. Am pretty sure that is mandatory for them to declare that.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 27/10/2013 10:29, polygonum wrote:

The new oven most assuredly uses much less electricity! And the kitchen
seems to gain little heat until we finish cooking and leave the oven
door open! :-)

A couple of inches of mineral wool wrapped around the oven does that sort
of thing.
IMO gas hobs and electric ovens are best for most things.
Harry will prefer electric as it means he doesn't have to export anything
from his panels.

I don't have any gas in the house.
I had the redundant gas meter removed when they recently proposed to charge
meter rent.
We have a double oven one with a fan and one without.
And two microwaves. These are the most efficient.
One is forty years old.

The hob is halogen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 27/10/2013 13:40, dennis@home wrote:
What pollutants do you think burning natural gas gives out?

CO, trace hydrocarbons, a few sulphur compounds (from the stenchant, if
nothing else), the odd bit of NOx and carbon particles...

Of course, these should only be in trace amounts. You'd probably notice CO
from the headaches - if your detector didn't, and you didn't die.

Andy

The moment you walk into a house you can smell if they have a gas hob.
Esp. if there is no hood.
I suppose the inhabitants have got used to it and don't notice.

I think it's hard to clean most gas hobs, maybe some of the smell comes from
burning spillages.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:31:55 +0000, harryagain wrote:

The moment you walk into a house you can smell if they have a gas hob.
Esp. if there is no hood.
I suppose the inhabitants have got used to it and don't notice.

wipes tear of laughter away

I think it's hard to clean most gas hobs, maybe some of the smell comes
from burning spillages.

It's a damn sight easier to clean a gas hob than it is to clean the old-
style "curly element" electrics. Or, indeed, many "solid plate" electrics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2013 08:49, Adrian wrote:
It's a damn sight easier to clean a gas hob than it is to clean the old-
style "curly element" electrics. Or, indeed, many "solid plate" electrics.

Again I say - try an induction hob.

The induction hob never gets hotter than the bottom of the saucepan,
most things just wipe off with a damp cloth.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 29/10/2013 08:49, Adrian wrote:
It's a damn sight easier to clean a gas hob than it is to clean the old-
style "curly element" electrics. Or, indeed, many "solid plate"
electrics.

Again I say - try an induction hob.

The induction hob never gets hotter than the bottom of the saucepan,
most things just wipe off with a damp cloth.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money to find out whether they suit
you, then Aldi occasionally have a single ring induction hob in store
for a very reasonable price.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...induction-hob/

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2013 21:49, John Williamson wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 29/10/2013 08:49, Adrian wrote:
It's a damn sight easier to clean a gas hob than it is to clean the old-
style "curly element" electrics. Or, indeed, many "solid plate"
electrics.

Again I say - try an induction hob.

The induction hob never gets hotter than the bottom of the saucepan,
most things just wipe off with a damp cloth.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money to find out whether they suit
you, then Aldi occasionally have a single ring induction hob in store
for a very reasonable price.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...induction-hob/

Though the Lidl and Aldi ones are much lower power than those in a full
hob. So you only get a part of the full induction into induction.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:38:56 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

It's a damn sight easier to clean a gas hob than it is to clean the
old- style "curly element" electrics. Or, indeed, many "solid plate"
electrics.

Again I say - try an induction hob.

Again I say - I have. And halogen ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian put finger to keyboard:

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 20:10:17 +0100, Dave wrote:

How does one go about checking correct operation of gas oven

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ALK4E2

Nice solution to the problem, but is it just me or does anyone else
dislike the way the temperature markings at the extremes are inverted to
be the "right way up"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2013 22:14, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:38:56 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

It's a damn sight easier to clean a gas hob than it is to clean the
old- style "curly element" electrics. Or, indeed, many "solid plate"
electrics.

Again I say - try an induction hob.

Again I say - I have. And halogen ones.

My mum has a Halogen hob. I hate it. Slow,shines in your eyes, and
things burn on to it as it's hot.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2013 22:27, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 29/10/2013 22:14, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:38:56 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

It's a damn sight easier to clean a gas hob than it is to clean the
old- style "curly element" electrics. Or, indeed, many "solid plate"
electrics.

Again I say - try an induction hob.

Again I say - I have. And halogen ones.

My mum has a Halogen hob. I hate it. Slow,shines in your eyes, and
things burn on to it as it's hot.

Andy

Agreed, hate electric hobs other than induction.

--
Rod

painting at low temps Uno Home Repair 13 November 9th 11 01:21 PM
kerosene in low temps Phil Donnelly UK diy 14 January 14th 10 11:13 AM
combi water temps gazz UK diy 7 November 5th 08 08:30 AM
Ultra Boiler and 60s Outside Temps Michael Gallagher Home Repair 0 May 30th 06 06:43 PM
high GFA plenum temps? Barb Grajewski Home Repair 6 October 16th 03 11:21 PM