Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting at low temps

On 11/4/2011 11:08 AM, Uno wrote:
http://i40.tinypic.com/35he1zp.jpg

Howdy forum,

Hope this finds you healthy, happy, and revolving.

I've always used the guideline of 50 degrees for the threshold of when
to be able to paint. Paint dries in less than ten minutes in abq. Does
it matter that it might hit 32 degrees 8 hours after it dries?

How about appropriate temps for applying bondo?

At colder temps, I think a person can cheat by keeping the material
(bondo, primer) warmer by leaving it in the sun that shines like a red
rubber ball here 300 days a year.

Let me also ask you this. I tell people that freezing ruins paint, if
it's stored in a garage for the entire month of february. Am I right or
just a worry-wart. I usually can't use the paints that I find in
people's garages or outbuildings because of this. My guess is that
freezing does ruin latex, but it happens after doing it several times.

Penny for your thoughts.

i think you should read the label on the can.

you owe me a penny.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

[...]

Peace, love, american autumn,
--
uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 1:08*pm, Uno wrote:
[...]

A good freeze can affect some latexes weeks after painting to blead a
white chalk like substance, best is read the cans instructions and not
push it. Within days I would not want it to freeze, as at low temps it
takes a real long time to cure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 2:08*pm, Uno wrote:
[...]

Having recently done some repairs of a window sill with DuraGlass
(Bondo-like substance with fiberglass strands added - much stronger
than Bondo) I can tell you what the can says:

They want both the product *and* the surface that it will be applied
to to be 70 - 80 degrees for optimal bonding and strength.

The product temp of 70 - 80 I was able to maintain, but the surface
temp of the sill was probably about 50.

The cured product laughed in the face of 100 grit sandpaper, so it
appears to have cured just fine. As long as it stays bonded to the
sill until spring, I'll be quite happy since that's when I'm having it
wrapped with aluminum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:08:39 -0700, Uno wrote:

[...]

Paint: follow directions on the cans. Same with primer. Wait for a
better day to start. Last year I had a ten-day window to paint fascia
in December. Perfect days and reminded me of an Indian Summer.

Bondo: (And fiberglass) You can change the set time by the mixture. It
gets hot and can set faster. Don't over do it, but your can enhance
the cure time on bondo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2011 03:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:08:39 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Thx, Oren, how would you describe your temperature region relative to abq?
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2011 01:29 PM, ransley wrote:

A good freeze can affect some latexes weeks after painting to blead a
white chalk like substance, best is read the cans instructions and not
push it. Within days I would not want it to freeze, as at low temps it
takes a real long time to cure.

If you applied a really thick coat of primer in Minnesota on a warm
winter day right after a big snowfall, and let's say you put it on at
the warmest point of the day, and that temp was the lowest that the
manufacturer recommends, then what chemical processes occur when a coat
"fails" due to freezing temps?

--
Uno

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2011 11:46 AM, chaniarts wrote:
On 11/4/2011 11:08 AM, Uno wrote:
[...]

I'm good for it if you're heading through abq.
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2011 02:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Having recently done some repairs of a window sill with DuraGlass
(Bondo-like substance with fiberglass strands added - much stronger
than Bondo) I can tell you what the can says:

Thanks all for responses. Where does one buy Duraglass?

They want both the product *and* the surface that it will be applied
to to be 70 - 80 degrees for optimal bonding and strength.

The product temp of 70 - 80 I was able to maintain, but the surface
temp of the sill was probably about 50.

The cured product laughed in the face of 100 grit sandpaper, so it
appears to have cured just fine. As long as it stays bonded to the
sill until spring, I'll be quite happy since that's when I'm having it
wrapped with aluminum.

DD, what temperature band are you in?
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 19:58:57 -0600, Uno wrote:

Paint: follow directions on the cans. Same with primer. Wait for a
better day to start. Last year I had a ten-day window to paint fascia
in December. Perfect days and reminded me of an Indian Summer.

Bondo: (And fiberglass) You can change the set time by the mixture. It
gets hot and can set faster. Don't over do it, but your can enhance
the cure time on bondo.

Thx, Oren, how would you describe your temperature region relative to abq?

shrugs I'm in Las Vegas. I've not compared the two cities :-/

What are you fixin' anyway?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 11/5/2011 2:07 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 19:58:57 -0600, wrote:

Paint: follow directions on the cans. Same with primer. Wait for a
better day to start. Last year I had a ten-day window to paint fascia
in December. Perfect days and reminded me of an Indian Summer.

Bondo: (And fiberglass) You can change the set time by the mixture. It
gets hot and can set faster. Don't over do it, but your can enhance
the cure time on bondo.

Thx, Oren, how would you describe your temperature region relative to abq?

shrugs I'm in Las Vegas. I've not compared the two cities :-/

You're even drier than I am. Do you guys not get a monsoon season?

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c486.html

What are you fixin' anyway?

It's a west-facing pergola with 5 22' long exposed beams. I'll post
some pictures soon.

I've got my little bondo factory all set up. I cut a bunch of 3"x4"
cardboard rectangles with a glossy surface and then a bunch of little
mini stir rods. Everything gets thrown out then. (That's also a good
visual for my client to actually be able to see how many batches I mixed.)

If you indeed are a handyman, I have a friend and client named Janet who
can use some help with her Lost Wages properties. She pays fairly.
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:36:33 -0700, Uno wrote:

If you indeed are a handyman, I have a friend and client named Janet who
can use some help with her Lost Wages properties. She pays fairly.

I'm local here, not cheap and make sure she knows that, okay?

Two miles from The Strip.

I'll entertain her offers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 11/5/2011 6:08 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:36:33 -0700, wrote:

If you indeed are a handyman, I have a friend and client named Janet who
can use some help with her Lost Wages properties. She pays fairly.

I'm local here, not cheap and make sure she knows that, okay?

Two miles from The Strip.

I'll entertain her offers.

I'll keep you in mind.

One of these days, she and I will show up at the same church event and
I'll asked how her vegas properties are doing.

It makes a big difference when you know someone who has the skills and
ethos, like you.
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 1:08*pm, Uno wrote:
http://i40.tinypic.com/35he1zp.jpg

Howdy forum,

Hope this finds you healthy, happy, and revolving.

I've always used the guideline of 50 degrees for the threshold of when
to be able to paint. *Paint dries in less than ten minutes in abq. *Does
it matter that it might hit 32 degrees 8 hours after it dries?

How about appropriate temps for applying bondo?

At colder temps, I think a person can cheat by keeping the material
(bondo, primer) warmer by leaving it in the sun that shines like a red
rubber ball here 300 days a year.

I think the answer to this is that whether you can get away with
it or not depends on the specific product and how far you
choose to push it. It would seem to me that manufacturers would like
to make their product as universal as possible, so they can sell more
of it, so when they say only use it above X
degrees, I would suspect they have good reason to do so.
Given the consequences of failure, eg a whole house with
peeling paint that is a bitch to resolve, I would not push my
luck. How lucky do you feel based on anything anyone here
can tell you? If you want to push it, then I'd call or email the
product manufacturer and see what they have to say.

Let me also ask you this. *I tell people that freezing ruins paint, if
it's stored in a garage for the entire month of february. *Am I right or
just a worry-wart. *I usually can't use the paints that I find in
people's garages or outbuildings because of this. *My guess is that
freezing does ruin latex, but it happens after doing it several times.

Penny for your thoughts.

Peace, love, american autumn,
--
uno

I think the latex paint thing is that again, it depends on the
actual paint. I agree that the freeze and how many times
it's done are factors. Partially frozen once, probably OK.
Solid frozen several times, it's more likely shot.

Garage heater - low temps Mark[_10_] Home Repair 56 November 12th 15 09:23 PM
kerosene in low temps Phil Donnelly UK diy 14 January 14th 10 11:13 AM
combi water temps gazz UK diy 7 November 5th 08 08:30 AM
Ultra Boiler and 60s Outside Temps Michael Gallagher Home Repair 0 May 30th 06 06:43 PM
high GFA plenum temps? Barb Grajewski Home Repair 6 October 16th 03 11:21 PM