Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Interesting blog on fracking

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug 2013 17:25:37 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

Perhaps this is why:
Bad Request (Invalid URL)

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

I note the pre-disposed bias.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

Perhaps this is why:
Bad Request (Invalid URL)

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

I note the pre-disposed bias.

Did you include the '29.aspx' that line wrapped?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

Perhaps this is why:
Bad Request (Invalid URL)

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...cking-(1).aspx

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

Perhaps this is why:
Bad Request (Invalid URL)

That's if you miss out the last part of the URL. Copy and paste the
whole thing, and it works just fine.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2013 18:25, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

Cheers

Dave R

Should people who break the law (to the extend of being arrested) in
order to impose their views and therefore demonstrate their contempt for
democracy be allowed to remain members of the House of Commons?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

Perhaps this is why:
Bad Request (Invalid URL)

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

I note the pre-disposed bias.

Did you include the '29.aspx' that line wrapped?

Get a decent newsreader and post correctly.

--
Rescuers in Pakistan today reported rescuing a man from the rubble.
They became aware when they heard a faint voice saying "we're still open".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:25:37 +0100, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

Cheers

Dave R

Everything is dangerous, I see no problem with fracking, nuclear, etc, etc.

--
"You, you, and you ... Panic. The rest of you, come with me."
- U.S. Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/13 22:27, Michael Chare wrote:
On 20/08/2013 18:25, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

Cheers

Dave R

Should people who break the law (to the extend of being arrested) in
order to impose their views and therefore demonstrate their contempt
for democracy be allowed to remain members of the House of Commons?

As opposed to the ones there who break the law (but not to the extent of
being arrested) in order to impose their views and therefore demonstrate
their contempt for democracy ?

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

Cheers

Dave R

So how come a fellow with qualifications in zoology and in charge of
Northern Rock when it went bust is suddenly an expert in fracking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Ridley

Just another ignorant journalist now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain scribbled...

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

Cheers

Dave R

So how come a fellow with qualifications in zoology and in charge of
Northern Rock when it went bust is suddenly an expert in fracking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Ridley

Just another ignorant journalist now.

He's a ****. Anti-government, but sits in the Lords.
Born with a gold spoon up his arse and thinks he knows how to make the
poor richer by allowing a free market.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:29:45 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

[Some dribbling **** that's killfiled here]

Still, the greenwash Nimby proved that David was right by ignoring the
information that he didn't want to see.

--
€’DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/13 13:11, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 20/08/13 22:27, Michael Chare wrote:
On 20/08/2013 18:25, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

Should people who break the law (to the extend of being arrested) in
order to impose their views and therefore demonstrate their contempt
for democracy be allowed to remain members of the House of Commons?

As opposed to the ones there who break the law (but not to the extent of
being arrested) in order to impose their views and therefore demonstrate
their contempt for democracy ?

Are these the eco-fascists we are referring to?

er no. most of the parliamentary benches in fact..

There are good legal arguments for stating that really important things
like the Iraq war decision and indeed the climate change act were in
fact in contravention of the rules laid down for parliamentary
procedure, and in fact that joining the EU was in fact 'ultra vires',
as well.

That makes the governments that pushed them along criminals of one sort
or another, and in te case of various EU treaties renders them
technically null and void.

That's at the major legislation level.

Then we have insider trading. Anyone who buys up cheap properties in the
certain knowledge that relaxing constraints on housing loans will create
a massive boom is guilty of insider trading. Bliar comes to mind.

Likewise those with interests, declared or otherwise, who sponsor
'renewable energy' policies. Half the cabinet seems to have a finger in
that pie...

That is the problem with 'big state' : if more than half the nations GDP
is flowing through government, the money gets spent the way they decide,
to favour themselves and people who sponsor them. You dont get to spend
it the way YOU want.

What choice do most of us have, when it comes to education, or
healthcare. None. There is one monopoly supplier and a few independents
who will cost you far more OVER AND ABOVE the taxes you wont get back
for not using the state supplied ones size forts all non-choice.

What I wonder would your reaction be if there was only one soft drink
you could buy, and you got taxed on the basis you could have it
delivered free. But you would have to pay if you wanted pepsi instead

You would scream corruption, monopoly, and unfair.

But as Miliband informs us 'we just don't GET the way things are done,
in Europe'

And long may it continue to be that way.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:50:19 +0000 (UTC), Steve Firth
wrote:

Huge wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:29:45 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

[Some dribbling **** that's killfiled here]

Well obviously it can't be, because otherwise you wouldn't have
replied to it.

Still, the greenwash Nimby proved that David was right by ignoring the
information that he didn't want to see.

As I'm not a 'greenwash Nimby' (sic), I take it you're referring to
someone else.

As for myself, I have read it. I think I have a more or less open
mind on shale gas, but I note the article's pro-shale gas, anti-wind
bias.

For example, he moans about the wind turbines on the landscapes he
drives through, but is apparently blind to the pylons, which almost
certainly outnumber the turbines by hundreds or thousands to one. A
turbine is only an eyesore, if you consider it such, I don't really,
at the point of installation. Pylons, in contrast, are all over the
Highlands & Islands, and are a much greater collective eyesore, yet
none of the anti-wind brigade ever complain about them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Java Jive wrote:
For example, he moans about the wind turbines on the landscapes he
drives through, but is apparently blind to the pylons, which almost
certainly outnumber the turbines by hundreds or thousands to one. A
turbine is only an eyesore, if you consider it such, I don't really,
at the point of installation. Pylons, in contrast, are all over the
Highlands & Islands, and are a much greater collective eyesore, yet
none of the anti-wind brigade ever complain about them.

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly intrusive,
they do tend to blend in somewhat, as they don't move. Wind turbines
have bloomin' great spinning bits which shout "I'm here!!!!" to all and
sundry. They're a lot more difficult to ignore, and under the right
circumstances, can be distracting if you're driving past a farm of them,
and keep catching movement out of the corner of your eye..

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:53:03 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly intrusive,
they do tend to blend in somewhat, as they don't move.

They are also grey not white so don't stand out against the back
ground, vegetation. Pylons are rarely all in a row along the top of
ridge as well. You might get one as the line passes over but that'll
be it. Nota good idea to have line exposed to the wind and ice...

Pylons don't have the same density as windmills either, one every
half mile or so in a line low down. Not one every 1/4 mile on a
grid(ish) over many square miles, on the higher ground.

Wind turbines have bloomin' great spinning bits which shout "I'm
here!!!!" to all and sundry.

Aye, a static plylon on the horizon doesn't attract attention a
whirling wind mill, even when you can't even see the hub, does.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:53:03 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly intrusive,
they do tend to blend in somewhat, as they don't move.

They are also grey not white so don't stand out against the back ground,
vegetation.

and in some cases green

Pylons are rarely all in a row along the top of ridge as well. You might
get one as the line passes over but that'll be it. Nota good idea to have
line exposed to the wind and ice...

Pylons don't have the same density as windmills either, one every half
mile or so in a line low down. Not one every 1/4 mile on a grid(ish) over
many square miles, on the higher ground.

Wind turbines have bloomin' great spinning bits which shout "I'm
here!!!!" to all and sundry.

Aye, a static plylon on the horizon doesn't attract attention a whirling
wind mill, even when you can't even see the hub, does.

and a line of pylons in the Highland of Scotland shows how puny are man's
works.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:52:46 +0100 (BST)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:53:03 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly
intrusive, they do tend to blend in somewhat, as they don't move.

They are also grey not white so don't stand out against the back
ground, vegetation. Pylons are rarely all in a row along the top of
ridge as well. You might get one as the line passes over but that'll
be it. Nota good idea to have line exposed to the wind and ice...

Pylons don't have the same density as windmills either, one every
half mile or so in a line low down. Not one every 1/4 mile on a
grid(ish) over many square miles, on the higher ground.

Wind turbines have bloomin' great spinning bits which shout "I'm
here!!!!" to all and sundry.

Aye, a static plylon on the horizon doesn't attract attention a
whirling wind mill, even when you can't even see the hub, does.

Near here, there is a small community wind turbine. On the rare
occasions when it is working, the spinning blades can be seen from
afar above the tree-line. It is an eyesore, which attracts attention in
a way that no fixed pylon does.
It has also been moved once, and still is the subject of complaints
from the nearby householders.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:53:03 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly
intrusive,
they do tend to blend in somewhat, as they don't move.

They are also grey not white so don't stand out against the back
ground, vegetation. Pylons are rarely all in a row along the top of
ridge as well. You might get one as the line passes over but that'll
be it. Nota good idea to have line exposed to the wind and ice...

Pylons don't have the same density as windmills either, one every
half mile or so in a line low down. Not one every 1/4 mile on a
grid(ish) over many square miles, on the higher ground.

Wind turbines have bloomin' great spinning bits which shout "I'm
here!!!!" to all and sundry.

Aye, a static plylon on the horizon doesn't attract attention a
whirling wind mill, even when you can't even see the hub, does.

Aren't lots of these Scottish pylons there to harvest the windfarms when
it's suitably windy?

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/13 20:19, Edgar wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:53:03 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly
[...]

and like most things scottish, spend the rest of the time idle?

Edgar

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

and like most things scottish, spend the rest of the time idle?

Charming.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:35:48 +0100, charles wrote:

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly

intrusive,
they do tend to blend in somewhat, as they don't move.

They are also grey not white so don't stand out against the back
ground, vegetation.

and in some cases green

Can't say I've seen or heard of green ones. Pink on the other hand...

http://www.pinkpylon.co.uk/

and a line of pylons in the Highland of Scotland shows how puny are
man's works.

They appear to be trying to take over like the tripods from War of
the Worlds along the southern end of the M74. Ruin the landscape.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Java Jive wrote:
For example, he moans about the wind turbines on the landscapes he
drives through, but is apparently blind to the pylons, which almost
certainly outnumber the turbines by hundreds or thousands to one. A
turbine is only an eyesore, if you consider it such, I don't really,
at the point of installation. Pylons, in contrast, are all over the
Highlands & Islands, and are a much greater collective eyesore, yet
none of the anti-wind brigade ever complain about them.

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly intrusive,
they do tend to blend in somewhat, as they don't move. Wind turbines have
bloomin' great spinning bits which shout "I'm here!!!!" to all and sundry.
They're a lot more difficult to ignore, and under the right circumstances,
can be distracting if you're driving past a farm of them, and keep
catching movement out of the corner of your eye..

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

And, of course, add to this that pylons are spindly and what ? 60 feet tall
maybe ? Whereas those bloody wind eyesores are sodding great solid tubes
hundreds of feet tall, visible for miles ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...
harryagain scribbled...

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

Cheers

Dave R

So how come a fellow with qualifications in zoology and in charge of
Northern Rock when it went bust is suddenly an expert in fracking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Ridley

Just another ignorant journalist now.

He's a ****. Anti-government, but sits in the Lords.
Born with a gold spoon up his arse and thinks he knows how to make the
poor richer by allowing a free market.

Remind me again ... Which charm school was it that you went to ... ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:35:48 +0100, charles wrote:

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly

intrusive,
they do tend to blend in somewhat, as they don't move.
They are also grey not white so don't stand out against the back
ground, vegetation.

and in some cases green

Can't say I've seen or heard of green ones. Pink on the other hand...

http://www.pinkpylon.co.uk/

and a line of pylons in the Highland of Scotland shows how puny are
man's works.

They appear to be trying to take over like the tripods from War of
the Worlds along the southern end of the M74. Ruin the landscape.

Some of the wind turbines in Belgium and Germany are painted a dark
green or blue colour at the base, and get paler as they go up. Then,
depending on how close to an airport they are, they paint the blades
with a fetching red and white pattern, presumably so pilots can see them
more easily.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeremy Nicoll - news posts" wrote
in message nvalid...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

and like most things scottish, spend the rest of the time idle?

Charming.

He forgot to take his lithium last night.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 22:27:33 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

Should people who break the law (to the extend of being arrested) in
order to impose their views and therefore demonstrate their contempt for
democracy be allowed to remain members of the House of Commons?

No. Strap her in a ducking stool and dip her a few times in a slurry pit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily scribbled...

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...
harryagain scribbled...

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%
29.aspx

Don't think it has been posted here before.

No doubt it will be ignored by the greenwash NIMBYs.

Cheers

Dave R

So how come a fellow with qualifications in zoology and in charge of
Northern Rock when it went bust is suddenly an expert in fracking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Ridley

Just another ignorant journalist now.

He's a ****. Anti-government, but sits in the Lords.
Born with a gold spoon up his arse and thinks he knows how to make the
poor richer by allowing a free market.

Remind me again ... Which charm school was it that you went to ... ?

Arfa

John Precott's in 'ull

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:25:37 PM UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%

29.aspx

erm....

"......... there are just 13 chemicals, all of which can be found in your kitchen, garage or bathroom: snip potassium chloride (intravenous drips),snip"

where do you keep yours?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 01:23:03 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

And, of course, add to this that pylons are spindly and what ? 60 feet
tall maybe ?

Small ones might be only 60' the 400 kV ones are just a *tad* bigger.
The insulator chains are a good 15' to 20' long. Each segment is a
large dinner plate in diameter and adds over a foot to the chain
length.

There is a set of insulators hanging in a corner of the Museum of
Science & Industry, Manchester, no information label though. It spans
two floors.

http://www.howhill.com/images/PICT0295.png

So 15' * 3 + spacings an up to earth wire at top 15' * 3, lower line
is about half way up the structure * 2 giving something of the order
of 200', or 60 m. About the height of the *hub* of a 2 MW windmill,
add another 40 m for the blades...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/13 10:21, Jim K wrote:
On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:25:37 PM UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%

29.aspx

erm....

"......... there are just 13 chemicals, all of which can be found in your kitchen, garage or bathroom: snip potassium chloride (intravenous drips),snip"

where do you keep yours?

in the sea salt container.

potassium chloride is a fairly common salt found in most living things
as well. so the veggie rack.

Jim K

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:41:55 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 22/08/13 10:21, Jim K wrote:

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:25:37 PM UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog...fracking-%281%

29.aspx

erm....

"......... there are just 13 chemicals, all of which can be found in your kitchen, garage or bathroom: snip potassium chloride (intravenous drips),snip"

where do you keep yours?

in the sea salt container.

potassium chloride is a fairly common salt found in most living things

as well. so the veggie rack.

er...yersss...

I meant the household" "intravenous drips Widdely mentions

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 00:34:34 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:35:48 +0100, charles wrote:

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly

intrusive,
they do tend to blend in somewhat, as they don't move.

They are also grey not white so don't stand out against the back
ground, vegetation.

and in some cases green

Can't say I've seen or heard of green ones. Pink on the other hand...

http://www.pinkpylon.co.uk/

and a line of pylons in the Highland of Scotland shows how puny are
man's works.

They appear to be trying to take over like the tripods from War of
the Worlds along the southern end of the M74. Ruin the landscape.

Alongside the road is the only viable route in that area and was chosen to
minimise the visual impact. The line was restrung and some towers rebuilt
around 20 years ago when half the route was upgraded to 400kV, way before any
wind turbines came on the scene.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:35:48 +0100, charles wrote:

From a personal point of view, while I find pylons slightly

intrusive,
they do tend to blend in somewhat, as they don't move.
They are also grey not white so don't stand out against the back
ground, vegetation.
and in some cases green

Can't say I've seen or heard of green ones. Pink on the other hand...

http://www.pinkpylon.co.uk/

and a line of pylons in the Highland of Scotland shows how puny are
man's works.

They appear to be trying to take over like the tripods from War of
the Worlds along the southern end of the M74. Ruin the landscape.

Alongside the road is the only viable route in that area and was chosen to
minimise the visual impact. The line was restrung and some towers rebuilt
around 20 years ago when half the route was upgraded to 400kV, way before any
wind turbines came on the scene.

Then they put the turbines on the nearby hilltops for quite a distance
along it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim
Streater scribeth thus
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 01:23:03 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

And, of course, add to this that pylons are spindly and what ? 60 feet
tall maybe ?

Small ones might be only 60' the 400 kV ones are just a *tad* bigger.
The insulator chains are a good 15' to 20' long. Each segment is a
large dinner plate in diameter and adds over a foot to the chain
length.

There is a set of insulators hanging in a corner of the Museum of
Science & Industry, Manchester, no information label though. It spans
two floors.

http://www.howhill.com/images/PICT0295.png

So 15' * 3 + spacings an up to earth wire at top 15' * 3, lower line
is about half way up the structure * 2 giving something of the order
of 200', or 60 m. About the height of the *hub* of a 2 MW windmill,
add another 40 m for the blades...

I sometimes observe that on switch gear and pylons insulators etc there
are odd pointy bits of wire etc - I even see that on rural lines where
there seem to be some sort of breakers. Assuming these are not merely
artistic whimsy on the part of the designer, what are they for?

I think your referring to "Arcing Horns" these are there to form a safe
point on most all HV installations for incidences like when lightning
hits the line they make a safe place for the current to discharge to
earth..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

And, of course, add to this that pylons are spindly and what ? 60 feet tall
maybe ?

Over 130 feet for a typical 400 kV pylon. Nearer 100ft in rural areas.
Slightly lower profile towers have been used more recently.

Ground clearance is a minimum of 25ft at 400kV and nearer 40ft in most cases

The tallest UK towers are the ones across the Thames and the Severn 623ft &
488ft respectively.

Some pics here

http://www.timbouckley.com/news/?cat=19

http://www.gorge.org/pylons/structure.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:39:39 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

I sometimes observe that on switch gear and pylons insulators etc there
are odd pointy bits of wire etc - I even see that on rural lines where
there seem to be some sort of breakers. Assuming these are not merely
artistic whimsy on the part of the designer, what are they for?

They are arcing horns and are fitted so any arcing from overvoltage that occurs
takes place across them and not across the porcelain insulators.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Other Mike
scribeth thus
wrote:

And, of course, add to this that pylons are spindly and what ? 60 feet tall
maybe ?

Over 130 feet for a typical 400 kV pylon. Nearer 100ft in rural areas.
Slightly lower profile towers have been used more recently.

Ground clearance is a minimum of 25ft at 400kV and nearer 40ft in most cases

The tallest UK towers are the ones across the Thames and the Severn 623ft &
488ft respectively.

Some pics here

http://www.timbouckley.com/news/?cat=19

http://www.gorge.org/pylons/structure.shtml

You couldn't make this one up;!...

http://s202.photobucket.com/user/Pag...ylons.gif.html
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

And, of course, add to this that pylons are spindly and what ? 60 feet tall
maybe ?

Over 130 feet for a typical 400 kV pylon. Nearer 100ft in rural areas.

Very crap and variable conversion from m to ft there - 50m & 46.5m

*Over 160 feet for a typical 400 kV pylon. Nearer 150ft in rural areas.*

Slightly lower profile towers have been used more recently.

Ground clearance is a minimum of 25ft at 400kV and nearer 40ft in most cases

*Conductor* ground clearance (it sags!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

And, of course, add to this that pylons are spindly and what ? 60 feet
tall maybe ?

Over 130 feet for a typical 400 kV pylon. Nearer 100ft in rural areas.
Slightly lower profile towers have been used more recently.

Ground clearance is a minimum of 25ft at 400kV and nearer 40ft in most
cases

The tallest UK towers are the ones across the Thames and the Severn
623ft & 488ft respectively.

How about the one at Kincardine over the River Forth? the southern tower
is listed at 505ft.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

OT Fracking harryagain[_2_] UK diy 79 July 31st 13 09:08 PM
O.T. Fracking ... Arfa Daily UK diy 25 July 3rd 13 08:55 PM
OT. Fracking. harryagain UK diy 10 July 28th 12 01:21 AM
Interesting Blog Gina Bull Home Ownership 3 August 11th 07 06:04 PM
WoodWorking Magazine blog - interesting bench charlie b Woodworking 4 February 2nd 07 12:36 AM