Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Raspberry-pi newsgroup starts

Another Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Only just? I'd have thought it would have had one a long time ago.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Another Dave" wrote in message

Another Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2013 16:13, Brian Gaff wrote:
Only just? I'd have thought it would have had one a long time ago.

Within the last week. It seems they're a lot more picky than they used
to be about starting newsgroups or maybe it's persuading servers to
carry it that's the difficulty. I supported a campaign to get it going
so it's not automatic.

Another Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2013 15:26, Another Dave wrote:

Ta...

Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ta...

Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

Something up with your news server? I see 11 active threads at the moment.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:

just as the Pi goes on sale in the USA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

En el artículo , John
Rumm escribió:

Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

Get posting then. A decent x86 emulator has just come out for it, and
it'll play Doom! What other reason do you need to get a Pi?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...lator-tips-up-
for-the-raspberry-pi

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 18:18:08 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

eh? Around 28 posts today.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On Apr 4, 8:02*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Another Dave wrote:

just as the Pi goes on sale in the USA.

I thought it was available worldwide anyway. Has something else
happened to aid sales in America?

James
Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On Apr 4, 8:28*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 18:18:08 +0100, John Rumm wrote:
Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

eh? Around 28 posts today.

Quite - I currently see 66 posts since Tuesday. Maybe John needs a new
news provider! ;-)

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message

Another Dave

Which news server are you using, Dave? Astraweb doesn't seem to carry it, so
far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

wrote:
On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 18:18:08 +0100, John Rumm wrote:
Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

eh? Around 28 posts today.

Quite - I currently see 66 posts since Tuesday. Maybe John needs a new
news provider! ;-)

Perhaps giganews is too much of a backwater! ;-)

To be fair, I can see some thread there now - just not when Dave posted
the original message.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

En el artículo
roups.com, James Harris escribió:

I thought it was available worldwide anyway. Has something else
happened to aid sales in America?

model B available for a year, model A just launched, according to this:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-pi-sells-out-
in-the-us-on-launch-day

beats me why anyone would save a couple bucks by going for the A.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo om, bm
escribió:

Which news server are you using, Dave? Astraweb doesn't seem to carry it, so
far.

Individual.net and Eternal-September have it.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 05/04/2013 03:45, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo
roups.com, James Harris escribió:

I thought it was available worldwide anyway. Has something else
happened to aid sales in America?

model B available for a year, model A just launched, according to this:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-pi-sells-out-
in-the-us-on-launch-day

beats me why anyone would save a couple bucks by going for the A.

The main attraction of an A is the low power consumption. Being cheaper
is also a bonus for some "embedded" style applications.

I used one the other day for a client who wanted a promo video running
on a TV in a window display. The original plan was simply to stick it on
a USB flash drive and let the TV's media player deal with it. Alas it
gave an ugly warning each time it started to play the particular video
they had had prepared. So a bit of experimentation with a pi showed that
it would play it flawlessly over HDMI. A model A had a low enough power
requirement that it could be powered from the TV's USB port, giving a
simple self contained solution.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

James Harris wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

just as the Pi goes on sale in the USA.

I thought it was available worldwide anyway.

Ah, looks like it was the cheaper Model A going on sale.

http://www.alliedelec.com/lp/130124rasomodela/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave writes:

Great! I hate to use all those web based forums. It's so inefficient to
point, click, type, paste, and copy in the browser. It's so much better
to browse the threaded groups and typing messages in emacs/gnus.

//Petter
--
..sig removed by request.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Petter Gustad
escribió:

Great! I hate to use all those web based forums.

+1

It's so inefficient to
point, click, type, paste, and copy in the browser.

And you can't killfile idiots and trolls.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes

I agree, but Usenet is dying.

Still twitching, but I fear 'Film at 11' will shortly become a reality.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2013 23:50, bm wrote:

Which news server are you using, Dave? Astraweb doesn't seem to carry it, so
far.

news.eternal-september.org

Another Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-04-05, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Petter Gustad
escribió:

Great! I hate to use all those web based forums.

+1

It's so inefficient to
point, click, type, paste, and copy in the browser.

And you can't killfile idiots and trolls.

I agree, but Usenet is dying.

(

Not for another year - paid my Berlin sub the other day. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Great! I hate to use all those web based forums.

+1

It's so inefficient to
point, click, type, paste, and copy in the browser.

And you can't killfile idiots and trolls.

I agree, but Usenet is dying.

No: just shrinking back to the places where it actually is a superior
way of doing things.

(

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-04-05, polygonum wrote:
On 05/04/2013 08:41, Huge wrote:
I agree, but Usenet is dying.

(

Not for another year - paid my Berlin sub the other day. :-)

Well, me too. I like Usenet, for all kinds of reasons, but someone
showed me a depressing graph of traffic analysis for the uk.* groups
(I wish I could find it again! Ah, here we go ...)

http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/spoolstats/

Is there some way we could make Usenet more popular? (Not "Facebook"
popular, but if we could get some new blood in - I suspect most Usenet
users are getting on...) Hmm; Someone's just claimed the first post made
on a Raspberry Pi.

(* Likely before that - if volumes fall too far, the existing providers
will drop out. Still, we could carry on as a hobbyist "service", I suppose.)

How much of the 50% reduction in message numbers and bytes used on the
greenend.org graph is due to people not using the binary groups to share
files with the rise of facebook and other sharing services such as
soundcloud and Flickr?

It's also only showing figures since 2010, so what happened before that?

Advantages of text only usenet are that it's cheap to operate, in
storage, processing and bandwidth. It's also resilient, and has been
known to work when other means of communication were cut off either by
government action or physical problems. IIRC, the first eyewitness
reports of 9/11 came out on newsgroups, though some cellphone calls nay
have beaten them.

It also works well over a slow connection.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2013 10:55, Huge wrote:

Well, me too. I like Usenet, for all kinds of reasons, but someone
showed me a depressing graph of traffic analysis for the uk.* groups
(I wish I could find it again! Ah, here we go ...)

http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/spoolstats/

It's not so much the steady decline in volumes, although if continued, Usenet
will be gone by 2016(*), but the 'number of posters' figures. There are 40
million people on the internet in the UK and only 1500 of them post to
Usenet? (Actually fewer than that, given that a some of them will be sock
puppets).

Is there some way we could make Usenet more popular? (Not "Facebook"
popular, but if we could get some new blood in - I suspect most Usenet
users are getting on...) Hmm; Someone's just claimed the first post made
on a Raspberry Pi.

(* Likely before that - if volumes fall too far, the existing providers
will drop out. Still, we could carry on as a hobbyist "service", I suppose.)

I hate to say it, could there be a DIY-banter style web interface - but
one that did not have all the crap associated with the existing web
interface sites? In fact, simply a recreation of a typical news reader
on a web page.

Or a Facebook Usenet page? :-)

Or feed uk.d-i-y into Twitter?

I was very sad few years ago - an alt.support group lost large numbers
of posters due to a combination of:

A ludicrous family spat where several of the extended family saw fit to
post masses of very unpleasant stuff.

A huge wave of spam many of them saw - which was largely blocked by Berlin.

A particular very odd individual who posted in a way that some found
deeply upsetting. He was permanently on medical marijuana (seriously)
but had a habit of putting the blame for being unwell on the posters
themselves.

The removal of usenet server access from many in the USA.

Add onto that the travesty which was Google's handling of everything to
do with Usenet...

Now we see at most a dozen posts in a month and most of them are without
any real reason - sort of keep-awake posts with the odd response.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-04-05, polygonum wrote:
On 05/04/2013 08:41, Huge wrote:
I agree, but Usenet is dying.

(

[...]

Agreed. That some servers seem to allow non-text was also an issue. As
far as I am concerned, I would be happy for Usenet to be 100% pure text.
After all we now have at least dozens of ways of sharing non-text files
as and when required.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-04-05, polygonum wrote:
On 05/04/2013 08:41, Huge wrote:
I agree, but Usenet is dying.

(

[...]

You have obviously never run a news server.

Its MASSiVELY STUPENDOUSLY expensive to provide storage,.. Even for
text only.

Or it was back in the day. Multiple copies of every single message ever
written, or even the last 6 weeks or so, mean storage is replicated for
the entire usenet traffic right across the internet, and back in the day
of modems and UUCP, beyond as well.

All one could say was that it was a best efforts way of propagating text
messages across an unreliable and intermittent network of peer to peer
machines. The ONLY thing it was good at was bandwidth.

Even that wasn't great. Again back in the day running a full text only
server was chewing 30% of total bandwidth he had. Today of course with
streaming videos its barely noticeable.

It's also resilient, and has been
known to work when other means of communication were cut off either by
government action or physical problems. IIRC, the first eyewitness
reports of 9/11 came out on newsgroups, though some cellphone calls nay
have beaten them.

It also works well over a slow connection.

those are its advantages.

But they are the only ones.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

I demand that Mike Tomlinson may or may not have written...

En el artículo , John
Rumm escribió:
Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

Get posting then. A decent x86 emulator has just come out for it, and
it'll play Doom! What other reason do you need to get a Pi?

Why x86 emulation when you can (or should be able to) run a native build?

--
| _ | Darren Salt, using Debian GNU/Linux (and Android)
| ( ) |
| X | ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML e-mail
| / \ | http://www.asciiribbon.org/

Don't everyone thank me at once.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 05/04/13 12:30, Darren Salt wrote:
I demand that Mike Tomlinson may or may not have written...

En el artÃ*culo , John
Rumm escribió:
Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

Get posting then. A decent x86 emulator has just come out for it, and
it'll play Doom! What other reason do you need to get a Pi?

Why x86 emulation when you can (or should be able to) run a native build?

probably because a native build wont run on ARM?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rumm escribió:
Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

Get posting then. A decent x86 emulator has just come out for it, and
it'll play Doom! What other reason do you need to get a Pi?

Why x86 emulation when you can (or should be able to) run a native build?

probably because a native build wont run on ARM?

Runs just fine using prboom, etc.

http://unicorn.drogon.net/doom2.jpg

That photo was taken almost 11 months ago fwiw. Do keep up!

-Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rumm escribió:
Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

Get posting then. A decent x86 emulator has just come out for it, and
it'll play Doom! What other reason do you need to get a Pi?

Why x86 emulation when you can (or should be able to) run a native build?

probably because a native build wont run on ARM?

Runs just fine using prboom, etc.

prboom is not strictly doom.

http://unicorn.drogon.net/doom2.jpg

That photo was taken almost 11 months ago fwiw. Do keep up!

-Gordon

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/13 13:04, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 05/04/13 12:30, Darren Salt wrote:
I demand that Mike Tomlinson may or may not have written...

En el artÃ*culo ,
John
Rumm escribió:
Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

Get posting then. A decent x86 emulator has just come out for it, and
it'll play Doom! What other reason do you need to get a Pi?

Why x86 emulation when you can (or should be able to) run a native
build?

probably because a native build wont run on ARM?

Runs just fine using prboom, etc.

prboom is not strictly doom.

...and nor is it precompiled to run on other than .86x architecture.

http://unicorn.drogon.net/doom2.jpg

That photo was taken almost 11 months ago fwiw. Do keep up!

-Gordon

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rumm escribió:
Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

Get posting then. A decent x86 emulator has just come out for it, and
it'll play Doom! What other reason do you need to get a Pi?

Why x86 emulation when you can (or should be able to) run a native build?

probably because a native build wont run on ARM?

There is a native build of Quake IIRC...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rumm escribió:
Looks rather devoid of messages at the moment!

Get posting then. A decent x86 emulator has just come out for it, and
it'll play Doom! What other reason do you need to get a Pi?

Why x86 emulation when you can (or should be able to) run a native
build?

probably because a native build wont run on ARM?

Runs just fine using prboom, etc.

prboom is not strictly doom.

..and nor is it precompiled to run on other than .86x architecture.

I've no idea what you're on about.

apt-get install prboom

installs the precompiled version of prboom for the Raspberry Pi (ARM)

Which is what I did 11 months ago when I took that photo.

http://unicorn.drogon.net/doom2.jpg

That photo was taken almost 11 months ago fwiw. Do keep up!

Doom has been playable on the Pi since it came out. It may not be
doom.exe, but it's Doom the game and plays identically.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

In article , Darren Salt
writes

Why x86 emulation when you can (or should be able to) run a native build?

Because there's loads of other stuff that'll run on DOS for which
sources are not available.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

[...]

Traffic on uk.d-i-y is still holding strong though... 7.5k posts / month
for the last 12 months. in fact a rise from 2007, but not quite up to
the peak of 10k at the end of 2004.

If not using the new google groups, this may still work:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/about

The all time posting figures are interesting:

24492
23878
22336
21456
16034
15966
13688
12038
11291
11130

from which we can conclude:

TNP is winning since he has more than one posting address...
Andy Hall is still doing well is spite of being deceased!
and I obviously spend too much time here

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2013 11:14, polygonum wrote:
On 05/04/2013 10:55, Huge wrote:

[...]

I have yet to see a web forum that is not a slow horrid thing to use...
it really ought to be possible to do something responsive these days
that allows proper threaded conversations.

I suppose even an email list server could do it these days - it would
not be that onerous to receive a full group feed, and email progs like
TB can do threaded email as well.

No reason we could not have group access built into the FAQ page either
I suppose.

Or a Facebook Usenet page? :-)

Or feed uk.d-i-y into Twitter?

For DIY that can be done in 140 characters... ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 05/04/2013 14:49, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Darren Salt
writes

Why x86 emulation when you can (or should be able to) run a native build?

Because there's loads of other stuff that'll run on DOS for which
sources are not available.

I recall seeing mention of a 486 PC emulator that runs in a javascript
in a browser...

There is a linux version he

http://bellard.org/jslinux/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-04-05, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Petter
Gustad
escribió:

[...]

Care to say what on earth that means?

I certainly don't have more than one posting address right now.

I was at b.c till someone pointed out it was not net friendly

Andy Hall is still doing well is spite of being deceased!
and I obviously spend too much time here

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2013 10:55, Huge wrote:

[...]

course it is, but it requires a real programmer, and I am busy at the moment

I suppose even an email list server could do it these days - it would
not be that onerous to receive a full group feed, and email progs like
TB can do threaded email as well.

No reason we could not have group access built into the FAQ page either
I suppose.

Or a Facebook Usenet page? :-)

Or feed uk.d-i-y into Twitter?

For DIY that can be done in 140 characters... ;-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 2013-04-05, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/04/2013 14:49, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Darren Salt
writes

Why x86 emulation when you can (or should be able to) run a native build?

Because there's loads of other stuff that'll run on DOS for which
sources are not available.

I recall seeing mention of a 486 PC emulator that runs in a javascript
in a browser...

There is a linux version he

http://bellard.org/jslinux/

A 486 emulator written in Javascript?

Its a bit like writing the theory of relativity in welsh, I know.

I bet that's going to be almost as quick as the LISP interpreter written
in MUMPS I came across once.

MUMPS is a communicable disease