Posted to uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT Raspberry-pi newsgroup starts

On 05/04/2013 03:45, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo
roups.com, James Harris escribió:

I thought it was available worldwide anyway. Has something else
happened to aid sales in America?

model B available for a year, model A just launched, according to this:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-pi-sells-out-
in-the-us-on-launch-day

beats me why anyone would save a couple bucks by going for the A.

The main attraction of an A is the low power consumption. Being cheaper
is also a bonus for some "embedded" style applications.

I used one the other day for a client who wanted a promo video running
on a TV in a window display. The original plan was simply to stick it on
a USB flash drive and let the TV's media player deal with it. Alas it
gave an ugly warning each time it started to play the particular video
they had had prepared. So a bit of experimentation with a pi showed that
it would play it flawlessly over HDMI. A model A had a low enough power
requirement that it could be powered from the TV's USB port, giving a
simple self contained solution.

--
Cheers,

John.