Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Raspberry-pi newsgroup starts

On 2013-04-05, polygonum wrote:
On 05/04/2013 08:41, Huge wrote:
I agree, but Usenet is dying.

(

Not for another year - paid my Berlin sub the other day. :-)

Well, me too. I like Usenet, for all kinds of reasons, but someone
showed me a depressing graph of traffic analysis for the uk.* groups
(I wish I could find it again! Ah, here we go ...)

http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/spoolstats/

Is there some way we could make Usenet more popular? (Not "Facebook"
popular, but if we could get some new blood in - I suspect most Usenet
users are getting on...) Hmm; Someone's just claimed the first post made
on a Raspberry Pi.

(* Likely before that - if volumes fall too far, the existing providers
will drop out. Still, we could carry on as a hobbyist "service", I suppose.)

How much of the 50% reduction in message numbers and bytes used on the
greenend.org graph is due to people not using the binary groups to share
files with the rise of facebook and other sharing services such as
soundcloud and Flickr?

It's also only showing figures since 2010, so what happened before that?

Advantages of text only usenet are that it's cheap to operate, in
storage, processing and bandwidth. It's also resilient, and has been
known to work when other means of communication were cut off either by
government action or physical problems. IIRC, the first eyewitness
reports of 9/11 came out on newsgroups, though some cellphone calls nay
have beaten them.

It also works well over a slow connection.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.