Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slugs in the shower

Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last
couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep
clinging to the tiled wall of the shower Since I found the first one I
keep the bifold door fully closed, and wear my glasses into the
bathroom and check before going in. They still arrive. Where on earth
can they be coming from?

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2013 10:34 a.m., jgharston wrote:
Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last
couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep
clinging to the tiled wall of the shower Since I found the first one I
keep the bifold door fully closed, and wear my glasses into the
bathroom and check before going in. They still arrive. Where on earth
can they be coming from?

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

JGH

Yesterday I found a snail clinging to the curtain in our bedroom. The
window next to it had been opened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jgharston writes:
Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last
couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep
clinging to the tiled wall of the shower Since I found the first one I
keep the bifold door fully closed, and wear my glasses into the
bathroom and check before going in. They still arrive. Where on earth
can they be coming from?

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

I used to get them when I moved into my first house.
When I came to redo the bathroom, there was an old hole through
the wall from an old bath waste which was not visible on the
outside as it emerged below the top of the grass, i.e. just
where the snails crawl. Blocked it up with mortar, and never
saw one afterwards.

I've been doing some plumbing in the crawl space under the floor
of a 1920's house, and there are lots down there. Some of them
squeeze through gaps in the floorboards (usually at the edge of
a room, and leave trails on the carpet to be found next morning,
although the slugs themselves have returned by base by then.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last
couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep
clinging to the tiled wall of the shower

Are you sure he was asleep, and not just frozen with fear at the big pink
hairy thing that had just walked into his home.

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

That's very kind of you, hand relief for slugs, what ever next

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last
couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep
clinging to the tiled wall of the shower Since I found the first one I
keep the bifold door fully closed, and wear my glasses into the
bathroom and check before going in. They still arrive. Where on earth
can they be coming from?

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

JGH

No problem.
http://www.anapsid.org/slugcleaner.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston writes:

Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last
couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep
clinging to the tiled wall of the shower Since I found the first one I
keep the bifold door fully closed, and wear my glasses into the
bathroom and check before going in. They still arrive. Where on earth
can they be coming from?

We don't get slugs but every time I use the bath/shower theres woodlice
and spiders in it. Found a huge centipede too the other day.

I think they come up the plughole. I've never actually checked because
they don't bother me, but there's a squashed lead pipe on the outside
which, I'm guessing, doesn't have a trap under the bath, so they can
just crawl up it and get cozy.

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

Poor dears. You could at least bung em out the window.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 23:13, F Murtz wrote:
jgharston wrote:
Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last
couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep
clinging to the tiled wall of the shower Since I found the first one I
keep the bifold door fully closed, and wear my glasses into the
bathroom and check before going in. They still arrive. Where on earth
can they be coming from?

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

JGH

No problem.
http://www.anapsid.org/slugcleaner.html

Brilliant, it takes all sorts! I loved this bit

Unless they are spiders, that is. "There was a bit of a problem when a
large banded huntsman spider I'd introduced to the garden took up
residence in a drawer," admits Robinson. "When Lynne went to take out
her favourite grey jumper, part of it moved under her hand," he recalls.
Her piercing scream persuaded him to put the spider at the farthest part
of the garden. "It never returned," he says, "probably because its sound
receptors are still ringing."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 11:06 PM, Gazz wrote:

"jgharston" wrote in message
Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last
couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep
clinging to the tiled wall of the shower

Are you sure he was asleep, and not just frozen with fear at the big
pink hairy thing that had just walked into his home.

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

That's very kind of you, hand relief for slugs, what ever next

Well, there is the old trick by farmers who, when catching and killing
a fox, would rope the fox up near the entry point. Would slugs take heed
of this method?

(sorry)

....Ray.

--
Learn why we are suffering..
www.zeitgeistthefilm.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message

Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last

couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep

clinging to the tiled wall of the shower

Are you sure he was asleep, and not just frozen with fear at the big

pink hairy thing that had just walked into his home.

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

That's very kind of you, hand relief for slugs, what ever next

Well, there is the old trick by farmers who, when catching and killing

a fox, would rope the fox up near the entry point. Would slugs take heed

of this method?

(sorry)

...Ray.

--

Learn why we are suffering..

www.zeitgeistthefilm.com/

Why bother picking it up. Sprinkle it with salt and wash the resulting foam down the plug hole. Or you could try keeping a robin in the batheroom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 11:13 PM, F Murtz wrote:
jgharston wrote:
Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last
couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep
clinging to the tiled wall of the shower Since I found the first one I
keep the bifold door fully closed, and wear my glasses into the
bathroom and check before going in. They still arrive. Where on earth
can they be coming from?

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

JGH

No problem.
http://www.anapsid.org/slugcleaner.html

I love the line... 'Pests may get used to chemicals, but they never get
used to being eaten.'

--
Learn why we are suffering..
www.zeitgeistthefilm.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 11:33 PM, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
writes:

[...]

Insects generally fall from tiled or, smooth walls and once in the bath
cannot climb the smooth bath surface. Leave a strip of cloth (read,
towel) over the bath edge into the bath bottom.

--
Learn why we are suffering..
www.zeitgeistthefilm.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last
couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep
clinging to the tiled wall of the shower Since I found the first one I
keep the bifold door fully closed, and wear my glasses into the
bathroom and check before going in. They still arrive. Where on earth
can they be coming from?

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

An *old* loo roll????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

An *old* loo roll????

Yes, in traditional Blue Peter manner - the cardboard inner.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2013 10:14, newshound wrote:

Unless they are spiders, that is. "There was a bit of a problem when a
large banded huntsman spider I'd introduced to the garden took up
residence in a drawer," admits Robinson. "When Lynne went to take out
her favourite grey jumper, part of it moved under her hand," he recalls.
Her piercing scream persuaded him to put the spider at the farthest part
of the garden. "It never returned," he says, "probably because its sound
receptors are still ringing."

I've heard that the Huntsman is the number 1 killer spider in Australia.
It's actually harmless, but looks horrible. And it likes to live in
cars. So there you are half way down the Pacific Highway when this
horrible looking thing crawls out... and your attention is distracted
from driving...

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2013 8:32 PM, Andy Champ wrote:
On 20/03/2013 10:14, newshound wrote:

Unless they are spiders, that is. "There was a bit of a problem when a
large banded huntsman spider I'd introduced to the garden took up
residence in a drawer," admits Robinson. "When Lynne went to take out
her favourite grey jumper, part of it moved under her hand," he recalls.
Her piercing scream persuaded him to put the spider at the farthest part
of the garden. "It never returned," he says, "probably because its sound
receptors are still ringing."

I've heard that the Huntsman is the number 1 killer spider in Australia.
It's actually harmless, but looks horrible. And it likes to live in
cars. So there you are half way down the Pacific Highway when this
horrible looking thing crawls out... and your attention is distracted
from driving...

Andy

LOL. A funny story when I was working for a local hard-landscaping
company. Having worked in bushes cutting back, etc. I was driving the
tipper crew-cab back to base with six young college trainees.

As we were moving along the busy road I felt something crawling up my
neck on the right side of my face. I didn't let it bother me until this
little bush-monster(I don't know, don't ask) began to crawl down my
forehead across the bridge of my nose to the left side of my face and
under my left eye. My only good eye! I say, good. What I mean is my
dominant eye. My right eye can still see lamp-posts so is OK for driving.

Anyway, now the spider is on my left, I can call on one of the lads to
take it off my face without turning my head or, taking my eyes off the
road. So, I calmly asked the lad sat in the seat next to me, 'NAME,
...take this thing off my face, will yer'. I leaned sideways slightly in
his direction.

I did 'not' expect him to scream. The other lads, all in unison
shouting each, their own version of 'what's happening'?! Name said,
SPIDERRR! and everyone, all of them, started screaming, shouting,
get-out! get-out! with ****!, ****, ****, coming from all quarters.

I was doing 30mph with a spider trying to drink from my eye while 6
lads try to crawl over each other to exit and, 2 doors swinging open.
Thankfully, the lad behind me wasn't so frightened as to open the
offside door and jump out into oncoming traffic.

I did pull over and the situation was calmed. Apart from when I walked
towards the lads with spider in hand so I can release it into the grass.
In which case 'one or two' wanted me to stamp on it. LOL.

Someone in the traffic did report us to base and I had to go in and
explain to my 'superiors' what happened. He had a good laugh with me and
he understood why I swerved towards the kerb and came to a sudden stop
as 6 lads poured out of the cabin 'Keystone Cops' style.

Good memories. I laughed through writing this and while reliving it,
it has taken 35minutes to write. Sorry if a bit off topic.

....Ray.

--
Learn why we are suffering..
www.zeitgeistthefilm.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

[...]

Slugs are not insects. They do not fall off a wall, and can climb
virtually any smooth surface.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2013 11:58 a.m., RayL12 wrote:
[...]

Great story! As a kid I was tremendously impressed by a friend's dad
who would let a giant weta crawl up his face. We were scared of wetas
but he knew it was harmless.

Slugs! R D S[_2_] UK diy 19 November 1st 12 01:26 PM
Slugs JIMMIE Home Repair 10 December 6th 11 03:27 PM
Need Brass Disks/Slugs/Planchets Earl Metalworking 1 May 29th 06 04:16 AM
Tuning slugs [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 24th 05 11:28 PM
Mice, slugs, trails? Nat UK diy 6 June 29th 05 12:10 AM