Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slugs!

I have had a problem with slugs now for years, every time I go into our
kitchen I find a slug. If I go into the kitchen late at night I will
probably find a few.

About 4 years ago I ripped the kitchen back to the walls as I assumed
there were breaches in the walls but it was all dry, complete and tidy.

I have since stripped the kitchen out again, in case I missed something,
and replaced the window, done some pointing outside, I can't see how they
are getting in.
There is no door in the kitchen, can they possible squeeze through the
closed UPVC window?

They might be getting in through the French doors in the living room and
slithering across, but then surely i'd see more of them in the living
room, where I only rarely see them.

We have wood floors with a space underneath, could they be living/
breeding under there?

They are doing my tree in, next job is to put some copper strip around
the outside of the house, hopefully that will be effective, until the
pikeys nick it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
[...]

You're me, you are. :-/

I've had similar problems since I moved into this house.

I used to have the same problem in the flat until I re-rendered the
outside and replaced all the windows with double glazed units. I'm not
saying that was what cured the problem, though...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
[...]

You don't happen to have a cat do you? Mine seems to bring them in every so
often!
--
Toby... remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:
You don't happen to have a cat do you? Mine seems to bring them in every so
often!

Remembers the dog finding a slug Shudders

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:42:22 +0000, Toby wrote:

You don't happen to have a cat do you? Mine seems to bring them in every
so often!

We don't.

We did once see a hedgehog and brought it home and put it in the yard as
I read they eat slugs, but it buggered off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
[...]

We had a long haired Maine Coon, and it used to bring in a couple
attached to its underside...then randomly drop them round the house.

Stepping on a slug in your bare feet at 3 a.m....yuk.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 October 2012 22:21:24 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
[...]

Exactly the same issue here. French doors are the only place that I can conceive that they are squeezing in, but the size of the buggers seems to suggest that they can't possibly get in that way. Never caught one in the act of breaking and entering, so can't give a definitive answer.

ALthough we do have some suspended floors, we only ever find them in the back of the house which is parque (?) onto a concrete slab. Their slime trails do generally seem to lead back to the door area, but we just put up with them, and SWMBO turns up with a pair of scissors to lift them outside before despatching them by closing the blade. Can't quite bring myself to do that...

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 01:14:45 -0700, larkim wrote:

but the size of the buggers...

I caught one squeezing under the plinth in the kitchen, where there is
barely a gap.

I'm going to give the back doors a thorough examination.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2012 22:56, R D S wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:42:22 +0000, Toby wrote:

You don't happen to have a cat do you? Mine seems to bring them in every
so often!

We don't.

We did once see a hedgehog and brought it home and put it in the yard as
I read they eat slugs, but it buggered off.

I have a healthy, well-fed hedgehog resident in my garden, but it
doesn't seem to make much impression on the number of slugs. I suspect
that would need a hedgehog army.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-10-19, Nightjar wrote:

On 18/10/2012 22:56, R D S wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:42:22 +0000, Toby wrote:

You don't happen to have a cat do you? Mine seems to bring them in every
so often!

We don't.

We did once see a hedgehog and brought it home and put it in the yard as
I read they eat slugs, but it buggered off.

I have a healthy, well-fed hedgehog resident in my garden, but it
doesn't seem to make much impression on the number of slugs. I suspect
that would need a hedgehog army.

Lucky! I saw my first hedgehog for some years this summer (in a
cemetery, but alive), and then saw two more in the month after that
(flattened, unfortunately).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 04:01:00 -0500, R D S wrote:

Similar here - they were being attracted by the dog's dish.

but the size of the buggers...

I caught one squeezing under the plinth in the kitchen, where there is
barely a gap.

I found one on the inside of the door, where it had squeezed under the
sealing strip - this was ( I thought) a very close-fitting DG door and
hadn't considered that possibility.

I'm going to give the back doors a thorough examination.

Spray all around likely entrance points with a strong solution of
bleach or disinfectant - it definitely puts the buggers off. Do it
every couple of evenings until you can be sure the problem's gone
away.
Every one you find and destroy /flush down the bog is one that can't
breed indoors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:44:47 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 04:01:00 -0500, R D S wrote:

Similar here - they were being attracted by the dog's dish.

but the size of the buggers...

I caught one squeezing under the plinth in the kitchen, where there is
barely a gap.

I found one on the inside of the door, where it had squeezed under the
sealing strip - this was ( I thought) a very close-fitting DG door and
hadn't considered that possibility.

We had a greenhouse installed a couple of years ago,metal framed
mounted a low brick foundation. Before I got around to sealing the gap
between frame and brick a slug around 10mm diameter was found
entering one day. The gap was only about 1 or 2mm but the bugger had
the ability to shrink down and get through, when found it was about
10mm diameter either side of a section where it was squeezing through
the gap. It got through fairly quickly but seconds after was about 1mm
thick over a larger area due to a boot.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We have wood floors with a space underneath, could they be living/
breeding under there?

It may be the time of year for it, I found one a couple of days ago. He
was sitting on the floor gazing longingly at the fridge. They are very
flexible, he fitted down the gaps in the plug hole, with a hot water
enema to aid him on his way.

I think your problem lies in the snip ^
If you have a suspended wooden floor, you will have vented air bricks at
almost ground level. The holes are about 10 mm square, and are very
inviting for the curious gastropod.

Ok, that is almost certainly how they get in, how you stop it is another
matter. Periodic scattering of slug pellets under and in the air brick?
Cheap to try, relatively safe and will not interfere with teh underfloor
ventilation.

Good luck

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2012 10:55, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A very large one came out through a tiny air vent slot rather
quickly in the lawnmower motor casing as I started cutting the lawn.

Have slugs got bigger?

I remember from childhood seeing small ones- half to one inch. Now I
seem to see them so large they are thinking about using a deed poll to
call themselves Anaconda. And instead of being nondescript pale-to-grey
they have orange skirts and things.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:59:10 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 20/10/2012 10:55, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A very large one came out through a tiny air vent slot rather
quickly in the lawnmower motor casing as I started cutting the lawn.

Have slugs got bigger?

I remember from childhood seeing small ones- half to one inch. Now I
seem to see them so large they are thinking about using a deed poll to
call themselves Anaconda. And instead of being nondescript pale-to-grey
they have orange skirts and things.

Strictly's on - they're tango skirts.

My water barrel has a nice little colony of leaches that are about the size
of the big slugs. I thought that the first one was a slug at first glance,
then it headed down into the water. I don't know what effect the frosts will
have.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2012 12:45, PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:59:10 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 20/10/2012 10:55, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A very large one came out through a tiny air vent slot rather
quickly in the lawnmower motor casing as I started cutting the lawn.

Have slugs got bigger?

I remember from childhood seeing small ones- half to one inch. Now I
seem to see them so large they are thinking about using a deed poll to
call themselves Anaconda. And instead of being nondescript pale-to-grey
they have orange skirts and things.

Strictly's on - they're tango skirts.

My water barrel has a nice little colony of leaches that are about the size
of the big slugs. I thought that the first one was a slug at first glance,
then it headed down into the water. I don't know what effect the frosts will
have.

I thought tango was the colour of their skin?

Actually, have a sort of affection for tango colour - ICL 2900
mainframes in Hot Tango!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 12:55:26 +0100, polygonum wrote:

[...]

Don't remind me....

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
[...]

For what it's worth on a thread this old.
I caught one sneaking out from the side of the washing machine.
Washing machine out, salt down and I have never seen one since.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:09:46 +0000, Mr Pounder wrote:

For what it's worth on a thread this old.
I caught one sneaking out from the side of the washing machine.
Washing machine out, salt down and I have never seen one since.

The tit that fitted my kitchen made a pigs ear of the drain pipes from
the sink & washer. At a push they could possibly be getting in up the
pipe that the washer waste fits loosely into.

I've bought a 20m roll of roofing copper. If it's true that they don't
like the stuff, they are going to have their work cut out.

Slugs JIMMIE Home Repair 10 December 6th 11 03:27 PM
Need Brass Disks/Slugs/Planchets Earl Metalworking 1 May 29th 06 04:16 AM
Tuning slugs [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 24th 05 11:28 PM
Mice, slugs, trails? Nat UK diy 6 June 29th 05 12:10 AM
Test equipment manuals & Wattmeter slugs for sale Cowboy67 Electronics 1 September 11th 03 01:50 AM