Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reckless electricity generating

Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

Charles McKenzie is accused of building a home-made generator in his flat at
Dudhope Court

A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing household
electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous transformer
assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I have one in my
car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:12:03 +0000, Vic wrote:

A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing
household electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator
system.

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous
transformer assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I
have one in my car.

Perhaps storing cans of petrol in a 14th floor flat is a significant
detail?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:12:03 +0000, Vic wrote:

A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing
household electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator
system.

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous
transformer assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I
have one in my car.

Perhaps storing cans of petrol in a 14th floor flat is a significant
detail?

I was given the keys to a top floor flat because I needed to get into
the loft to fix the TV system for the building. The council were holding
the keys because the tenant was doing a short stretch elsewhere. In the
loft I found a very large number of 5 litre plastic containers. There
was a smell of petrol. The council had to get the fire brigade to empty
the loft. The reason for the man to store the petrol remains unknown to me.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2013 14:14, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:12:03 +0000, Vic wrote:

A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing
household electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator
system.

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous
transformer assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I
have one in my car.

It certainly would be dangerous if you ran it inside a domestic garage
with the doors shut or in your living room for a few hours.

Perhaps storing cans of petrol in a 14th floor flat is a significant
detail?

And operating a petrol electric generator in a confined space can prove
lethal in a relatively short period of time from CO poisoning. The guy
is lucky to not be getting a Darwin Award instead. Presumably it made so
much noise that his neighbours complained about the racket.

Inspectors then found his stash of petrol which no doubt flouts several
rules about the storage of flammable liquids in the flat and totally
voids his household insurance for good measure.

Reckless seems absolutely the right description to me.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vic" wrote:
Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

Charles McKenzie is accused of building a home-made generator in his flat at
Dudhope Court

A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing household
electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous transformer
assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I have one in my
car.

Do keep up, this was aired here back in November. ;-)

The supposition then was that he had been a naughty boy and had his
electricity cut off (possibly fiddling his meter) and was running a petrol
generator (and storing petrol) in a multi storey flat. NOT the kind of
thing you'd want happening anywhere near you.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2013 14:37, Tim+ wrote:
"Vic" wrote:
Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

Charles McKenzie is accused of building a home-made generator in his flat at
Dudhope Court

A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing household
electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous transformer
assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I have one in my
car.

Do keep up, this was aired here back in November. ;-)

The supposition then was that he had been a naughty boy and had his
electricity cut off (possibly fiddling his meter) and was running a petrol
generator (and storing petrol) in a multi storey flat. NOT the kind of
thing you'd want happening anywhere near you.

"Mr McKenzie's make-shift system is said to have involved a fuel
generator suspended from his ceiling by ropes."

Again, by that description it does sound a bit reckless...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 13 March 2013 14:12 Vic wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

Charles McKenzie is accused of building a home-made generator in his flat
at Dudhope Court

A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing household
electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous
transformer assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I
have one in my car.

He was running a generator in a flat, presumably...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2013 14:45, David Hearn wrote:
On 13/03/2013 14:37, Tim+ wrote:
"Vic" wrote:
[...]

Isn't that usually done in cellars. Or dungeons. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hearn wrote:
On 13/03/2013 14:37, Tim+ wrote:
"Vic" wrote:
[...]

I want to know more about his fuel generator! Sounds like a handy gadget.
;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:12:03 -0000, "Vic" wrote:

A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing household
electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous transformer
assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I have one in my
car.

Don't be a knob - he was doing it in a block of flats, the stupid
****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:12:03 -0000, "Vic" wrote:

Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

Charles McKenzie is accused of building a home-made generator in his flat at
Dudhope Court

A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing household
electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous transformer
assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I have one in my
car.

For one brief moment as I saw the subject line I thought this was about a sudden
gust ramping wind generation up so fast the conventional generation had to vent
steam to waste as the governors closed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Come on many people have home made generators and even bike powered ones.
Was this perhaps the location and the lease conditions rather then the
actual gear concerned?

BRIAN

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"Vic" wrote in message ...
Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

Charles McKenzie is accused of building a home-made generator in his flat
at Dudhope Court

A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing household
electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous
transformer assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I
have one in my car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Some years ago, when a large fuel price hike was imminent, and there was a
bit of panic buying going on, I arrived at work to find many police cars and
fire engines around a nearby block of flats and the street sealed off. It
transpired that a family in one of the flats decided to bulk-buy petrol
before the price went up and store it in the bath. I seem to recall the
story made it to the national press the next day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2013 16:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
Come on many people have home made generators and even bike powered ones.
Was this perhaps the location and the lease conditions rather then the
actual gear concerned?

A home made twelve volt generator, hanging from thin ropes in a 14th
floor flat, attached to a battery, which was powering an inverter, with
cans of petrol being kept in the kitchen.

Sounds reckless to me. Not to mention blooming dangerous.

The generator would have been fine in a shed. Maybe...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 13/03/2013 16:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
Come on many people have home made generators and even bike powered ones.
Was this perhaps the location and the lease conditions rather then the
actual gear concerned?

A home made twelve volt generator, hanging from thin ropes in a 14th floor
flat, attached to a battery, which was powering an inverter, with cans of
petrol being kept in the kitchen.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vic wrote:

Some years ago, when a large fuel price hike was imminent, and there was a
bit of panic buying going on, I arrived at work to find many police cars and
fire engines around a nearby block of flats and the street sealed off. It
transpired that a family in one of the flats decided to bulk-buy petrol
before the price went up and store it in the bath. I seem to recall the
story made it to the national press the next day.

How about this guy from an earlier fuel shortage:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-in-brief.html

"Fuel hoarder sentenced

12 September 2000: Panic as the pumps run dry

A TAXI driver who tried to beat the fuel crisis by storing petrol
in a wheelie-bin at home was given a suspended prison sentence
yesterday. Saquib Bashir, 28, caused a major alert, leading to
the evacuation of 60 neighbouring properties and a £100,000
clean-up bill when fuel melted the bottom of the plastic bin and
leaked into the cellar of his terraced house.

At Derby Crown Court, Bashir admitted storing petrol without a
licence and in non-metal containers. He was sentenced to eight
months' imprisonment, suspended for two years, and ordered to pay
£1,000 costs. Bashir had stockpiled 90 litres of fuel in a
wheelie-bin, a beer barrel and a cooking-oil container at his
home in Normanton, Derby. Later he told trading standards
officers that he had no idea that petrol was so flammable."

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2013 17:34, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

A TAXI driver who tried to beat the fuel crisis by storing petrol
in a wheelie-bin at home was given a suspended prison sentence
yesterday. Saquib Bashir, 28, caused a major alert, leading to
the evacuation of 60 neighbouring properties and a £100,000
clean-up bill when fuel melted the bottom of the plastic bin and
leaked into the cellar of his terraced house.

Can we find (and donate a kick in the nuts to) the ignorant journo who
thinks that "melt" is the correct word in this context (rather than
"dissolve")?

If we kicked ignorant journos in the nuts every time we notice them...

Nothing would ever be done.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

On Mar 13, 3:12 pm, "Vic" wrote:
Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

So, a 12V generator, car battery and an inverter is a "dangerous
transformer assembly" and clearly illegal. I must remember that, since I
have one in my car.

He rather recklessly has not appeared in court:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-22015227

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a man accused of "recklessly
producing household electricity" in a 14th storey Dundee flat.

Charles McKenzie was due to appear at Dundee Sheriff Court over claims he
had assembled a DIY power station.

Is the reckless bit of the original charge just that of using a
petrol(?)-powered machine inside a flat? The original report's mention of
the battery & inverter & extension lead etc seems irrelevant to me.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:12:03 PM UTC, Vic wrote:

Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

"Dundee Sheriff Court was told he had created a "dangerous man made transformer assembly"."

It's the 'man made' bit that tickled me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-04-03, wrote:

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:12:03 PM UTC, Vic wrote:

Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

"Dundee Sheriff Court was told he had created a "dangerous man made transformer assembly"."

It's the 'man made' bit that tickled me.

Using alien technology isn't illegal yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-04-03, wrote:

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:12:03 PM UTC, Vic wrote:

Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

"Dundee Sheriff Court was told he had created a "dangerous man made transformer assembly"."

It's the 'man made' bit that tickled me.

Using alien technology isn't illegal yet.

Could have grown on a tree... :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 13:55:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:12:03 PM UTC, Vic wrote:

Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

"Dundee Sheriff Court was told he had created a "dangerous man made transformer assembly"."

It's the 'man made' bit that tickled me.

Made by a dangerous man, perhaps?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-04-03, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 13:55:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:12:03 PM UTC, Vic wrote:

Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

"Dundee Sheriff Court was told he had created a "dangerous man made transformer assembly"."

It's the 'man made' bit that tickled me.

Made by a dangerous man, perhaps?

Apparently so, in this case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:12:03 PM UTC, Vic wrote:
Dundee man to face reckless electricity generating charges
A Dundee man is to stand trial accused of "recklessly producing household
electricity" in a 14th storey flat using a home-made generator system.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21770421

Update at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-23465863

Charles McKenzie, 55, from Dundee, suspended a generator from the ceiling of his bedroom after his electricity supply was cut off in February last year.

Fiscal depute Lynne Mannion said that in the early hours of 28 August 2012 the police and fire service were contacted by a neighbour who had heard drilling and could smell petrol from McKenzie's 14th-floor flat.

"In a bedroom there was a generator suspended by thin ropes. It was connected to a transformer and a car battery with an extension lead running to the living room. There were two cans of petrol beside the generator."

She said the emergency services noted that McKenzie was a smoker which increased the risk of an accident.

Sheriff Elizabeth Munro deferred sentence until October for the case to call alongside another charge that McKenzie earlier admitted.

She said: "Thank goodness the neighbour alerted police - he could have killed himself or the neighbours. Could he not have just paid his electricity bill rather than going to this extent?"

The sheriff added: "You are getting too old to be appearing in the sheriff court on this kind of nonsense."

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:05:09 PM UTC+13, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Bashir had stockpiled 90 litres of fuel in a

wheelie-bin, a beer barrel and a cooking-oil container at his

home in Normanton, Derby. Later he told trading standards

officers that he had no idea that petrol was so flammable."

I have more than 90 litres of fuel in a walnut and leather container out in the garage. There's also a quality British (or is it Indian now?) V8 engine and a big battery and an inverter. Very handy when there's a power cut. I don't see the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 00:08:00 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:05:09 PM UTC+13, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Bashir had stockpiled 90 litres of fuel in a

wheelie-bin, a beer barrel and a cooking-oil container at his

home in Normanton, Derby. Later he told trading standards

officers that he had no idea that petrol was so flammable."

I have more than 90 litres of fuel in a walnut and leather container out in the garage. There's also a quality British (or is it Indian now?) V8 engine and a big battery and an inverter. Very handy when there's a power cut. I don't see the problem.

I'd be intrigued as to how you propose to suspend the arrangement from
youre bedroom ceiling.

I presume you are not married?

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2013 08:08, Matty F wrote:
On Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:05:09 PM UTC+13, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Bashir had stockpiled 90 litres of fuel in a

wheelie-bin, a beer barrel and a cooking-oil container at his

home in Normanton, Derby. Later he told trading standards

officers that he had no idea that petrol was so flammable."

I have more than 90 litres of fuel in a walnut and leather container
out in the garage. There's also a quality British (or is it Indian
now?) V8 engine and a big battery and an inverter. Very handy when
there's a power cut. I don't see the problem.

Your garage is halfway up a tower block?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Point
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
scribeth thus
[...]

Its a wonder he didn't accidentally gas himself;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 I wrote:
Update at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-23465863
Charles McKenzie, 55, from Dundee, suspended a generator from the ceiling of his bedroom after his electricity supply was cut off in February last year.

Update at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-24656203

Charles McKenzie pled guilty to a charge of culpable and reckless conduct as well as two charges of stealing electricity.

Sheriff George Way issued the community payback order and ordered a review hearing in January.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:35:41 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Charles McKenzie pled guilty

Shirley you mean 'pleaded', pled is American and this is uk.d-i-y!

TOJ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Other John
writes
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:35:41 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Charles McKenzie pled guilty

Shirley you mean 'pleaded', pled is American and this is uk.d-i-y!

Look at the article again, he was clearly wearing a checked shirt in the
dock.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2013 22:45, The Other John wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:35:41 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Charles McKenzie pled guilty

Shirley you mean 'pleaded', pled is American and this is uk.d-i-y!

TOJ.

They are funny that way in Scotland as well.

I wonder what the charge (if any) would have been in England.

"He pled guilty to a charge of culpable and reckless conduct as well as
two charges of stealing electricity."

No doubt someone will be along in a minute to tell me that 'culpable and
reckless conduct' is an offence in England and Wales as well.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Saturday, July 27, 2013 I wrote:
Update at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-23465863
Charles McKenzie, 55, from Dundee, suspended a generator from the ceiling
of his bedroom after his electricity supply was cut off in February last
year.

Update at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-24656203

Charles McKenzie pled guilty to a charge of culpable and reckless conduct
as well as two charges of stealing electricity.

Sheriff George Way issued the community payback order and ordered a review
hearing in January.

The description of his equipment makes no sense,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, July 27, 2013 I wrote:
Update at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-23465863
Charles McKenzie, 55, from Dundee, suspended a generator from the ceiling
of his bedroom after his electricity supply was cut off in February last
year.

Update at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-24656203

Charles McKenzie pled guilty to a charge of culpable and reckless conduct
as well as two charges of stealing electricity.

Sheriff George Way issued the community payback order and ordered a review
hearing in January.

The description of his equipment makes no sense,

I think for "transformer", read "12V battery charger".

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could someone explain what this is actually about then? I'm confused.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , The Other John
writes
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:35:41 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Charles McKenzie pled guilty

Shirley you mean 'pleaded', pled is American and this is uk.d-i-y!

Look at the article again, he was clearly wearing a checked shirt in the
dock.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, most people who steal electricity simply bypass the meter completely,
or nick it froma convenient street light cable.
There have been some creative ideas like the farmer who strung a very long
wire alongside a power cable to get induced power to power some remote
equipment. I also wonder about all those demos of holding up fluorescent
tubes undeneath pylons as well.

None of those indirect methods are very efficient.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active