Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connector blainking pin question

I'm making up some flat IDC cables which terminate in a 0.1 inch pitch
IDC header socket. This fits onto a board connector with 9 pins (one
omitted).

Clearly I'd like to fill the unused hole to make it impossible to plug
the things in the wrong way round. I'm probably going to use a blob of
epoxy, but does anyone have their own easy way of doing it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I'm making up some flat IDC cables which terminate in a 0.1 inch pitch
IDC header socket. This fits onto a board connector with 9 pins (one
omitted).

Clearly I'd like to fill the unused hole to make it impossible to plug
the things in the wrong way round. I'm probably going to use a blob of
epoxy, but does anyone have their own easy way of doing it?

is a proper Polarizing Pin or Key available for the series of connector
you're using?

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/bro...atchallpartial

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 01:08:36 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I'm making up some flat IDC cables which terminate in a 0.1 inch pitch
IDC header socket. This fits onto a board connector with 9 pins (one
omitted).

Clearly I'd like to fill the unused hole to make it impossible to plug
the things in the wrong way round. I'm probably going to use a blob of
epoxy, but does anyone have their own easy way of doing it?

is a proper Polarizing Pin or Key available for the series of connector
you're using?

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2031

+202548&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=polarizing&Ntx=mode+matc hallpartial

Not on that list. These are the 0.1" pitch headers used on things sich as
disk IDE cables; the holes are tiny. I haven't been able to source any,
and they'd probably cost a fortune.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I'm making up some flat IDC cables which terminate in a 0.1 inch pitch
IDC header socket. This fits onto a board connector with 9 pins (one
omitted).

Clearly I'd like to fill the unused hole to make it impossible to plug
the things in the wrong way round. I'm probably going to use a blob of
epoxy, but does anyone have their own easy way of doing it?

is a proper Polarizing Pin or Key available for the series of connector
you're using?

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2031

+202548&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=polarizing&Ntx=mode+matc hallpartial

Not on that list. These are the 0.1" pitch headers used on things sich as
disk IDE cables; the holes are tiny. I haven't been able to source any,

You can buy them with the hole missing.

and they'd probably cost a fortune.

Not when you buy them with the hole missing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bob Eager
escribió:

does anyone have their own easy way of doing it?

Bit of wire of the correct diameter for a tight fit, snip off. Job
done.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 10 March 2013 00:21 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm making up some flat IDC cables which terminate in a 0.1 inch pitch
IDC header socket. This fits onto a board connector with 9 pins (one
omitted).

Clearly I'd like to fill the unused hole to make it impossible to plug
the things in the wrong way round. I'm probably going to use a blob of
epoxy, but does anyone have their own easy way of doing it?

A long time ago I bought some plastic pegs that you could inset for this
purpose. They were V-shaped to hold into the hole and had a flat very thin
top to cover the hole.

Might well have been RS or Farnell.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 06:44:08 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Bob Eager
escribió:

does anyone have their own easy way of doing it?

Bit of wire of the correct diameter for a tight fit, snip off. Job
done.

Good idea!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 08:28:08 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On Sunday 10 March 2013 00:21 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm making up some flat IDC cables which terminate in a 0.1 inch pitch
IDC header socket. This fits onto a board connector with 9 pins (one
omitted).

Clearly I'd like to fill the unused hole to make it impossible to plug
the things in the wrong way round. I'm probably going to use a blob of
epoxy, but does anyone have their own easy way of doing it?

A long time ago I bought some plastic pegs that you could inset for this
purpose. They were V-shaped to hold into the hole and had a flat very
thin top to cover the hole.

Might well have been RS or Farnell.

I tried Farnell but I'll look at RS. They do at least exist, then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 08:28:08 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On Sunday 10 March 2013 00:21 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm making up some flat IDC cables which terminate in a 0.1 inch pitch
IDC header socket. This fits onto a board connector with 9 pins (one
omitted).

Clearly I'd like to fill the unused hole to make it impossible to plug
the things in the wrong way round. I'm probably going to use a blob of
epoxy, but does anyone have their own easy way of doing it?

A long time ago I bought some plastic pegs that you could inset for this
purpose. They were V-shaped to hold into the hole and had a flat very
thin top to cover the hole.

Might well have been RS or Farnell.

I tried Farnell but I'll look at RS. They do at least exist, then.

Yep, definitely seen them.

Next best thing is to dip a the end of a cocktail stick in epoxy and
push it in firmly, cutting off the excess with flush cutters for a
professional finish :-)

Not too much glue in case it migrates.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:51:11 +0000, fred wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

That's a good uk-d-i-y one!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2013 09:12, Bob Eager wrote:
I tried Farnell but I'll look at RS. They do at least exist, then.

We used to key our cable so you had to put them the right way around.
However as I only ever ordered the ready made cable I've no idea where
you get the bit of plastic. Thinking about it I've never see one loose -
so I can only tell you the head was square, and had a mark in the top as
if it had been broken from a bit of sprue.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:19:05 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

On 10/03/2013 09:12, Bob Eager wrote:
I tried Farnell but I'll look at RS. They do at least exist, then.

We used to key our cable so you had to put them the right way around.
However as I only ever ordered the ready made cable I've no idea where
you get the bit of plastic. Thinking about it I've never see one loose -
so I can only tell you the head was square, and had a mark in the top as
if it had been broken from a bit of sprue.

That's the ones. Just ordered somew from RS. I note that some of them
actually come with a handle and you break them off yourself after
insertion.

Took a long time to find them though!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, because cocktail sticks are much too thick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

You'd be much better off cutting off a single pin from a
dead drive and gluing that into the hole you want to block.

Not too much glue in case it migrates.

And doesn't need to be epoxy, any decent glue will be fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:19:05 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

On 10/03/2013 09:12, Bob Eager wrote:
I tried Farnell but I'll look at RS. They do at least exist, then.

We used to key our cable so you had to put them the right way around.
However as I only ever ordered the ready made cable I've no idea where
you get the bit of plastic. Thinking about it I've never see one loose -
so I can only tell you the head was square, and had a mark in the top as
if it had been broken from a bit of sprue.

That's the ones. Just ordered somew from RS. I note that some of them
actually come with a handle and you break them off yourself after
insertion.

Took a long time to find them though!

What's wrong with a single tooth from a fine hair comb? Far easier - shove
it in, cut off with craft knife. Her indoors won't notice a single tooth
missing!!!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2013 18:59, Bob Eager wrote:
That's the ones. Just ordered somew from RS. I note that some of them
actually come with a handle and you break them off yourself after
insertion.

Took a long time to find them though!

What do they call them?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

-
so I can only tell you the head was square, and had a mark in the top
as if it had been broken from a bit of sprue.

That's the ones. Just ordered somew from RS. I note that some of them
actually come with a handle and you break them off yourself after
insertion.

Took a long time to find them though!

What's wrong with a single tooth from a fine hair comb? Far easier -
shove it in, cut off with craft knife. Her indoors won't notice a single
tooth missing!!!!

I have quite a few to do...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:25:24 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

On 10/03/2013 18:59, Bob Eager wrote:
That's the ones. Just ordered somew from RS. I note that some of them
actually come with a handle and you break them off yourself after
insertion.

Took a long time to find them though!

What do they call them?

Those particular ones - "Keying Plugs".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2013 21:37, Bob Eager wrote:
Those particular ones - "Keying Plugs".

It's just knowing the keyword. That phrase shows 56 products on RS's
website!

Ta

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:56:35 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

On 10/03/2013 21:37, Bob Eager wrote:
Those particular ones - "Keying Plugs".

It's just knowing the keyword. That phrase shows 56 products on RS's
website!

I tried about a dozen phrases on there before I happened on a similar
product and thus found the phrase...

Name that connector Theo Markettos UK diy 7 May 22nd 15 02:44 PM
What's the name of this connector JoeJoe UK diy 19 May 29th 10 10:33 PM
Idiot tap connector question Tim S UK diy 6 August 26th 09 10:51 AM
Old arcade monitor neck connector question jhuie Electronics Repair 9 April 12th 06 02:08 AM
BSP Connector Help [email protected] UK diy 3 June 16th 05 12:16 PM