Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Connector blainking pin question

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 08:28:08 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On Sunday 10 March 2013 00:21 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm making up some flat IDC cables which terminate in a 0.1 inch pitch
IDC header socket. This fits onto a board connector with 9 pins (one
omitted).

Clearly I'd like to fill the unused hole to make it impossible to plug
the things in the wrong way round. I'm probably going to use a blob of
epoxy, but does anyone have their own easy way of doing it?

A long time ago I bought some plastic pegs that you could inset for this
purpose. They were V-shaped to hold into the hole and had a flat very
thin top to cover the hole.

Might well have been RS or Farnell.

I tried Farnell but I'll look at RS. They do at least exist, then.

Yep, definitely seen them.

Next best thing is to dip a the end of a cocktail stick in epoxy and push
it in firmly, cutting off the excess with flush cutters for a professional
finish :-)

You'd be much better off cutting off a single pin from a
dead drive and gluing that into the hole you want to block.

Not too much glue in case it migrates.

And doesn't need to be epoxy, any decent glue will be fine.