Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ford Focus headlight motor - changing

I need to change the off side headlight motor on my daughter's Ford Focus
5 door Hatchback 1999 T reg.

I have the Haynes manual on order from the library.

In the mean time has anyone done this job?

Is the motor integrated into the headlamp fitting?

I am assuming the motor has failed and this is not just a wiring fault.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, March 1, 2013 11:53:09 AM UTC, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I have the Haynes manual on order from the library.

A Haynes manual is unlikely to go into the detail of changing a headlamp motor as the 'official' repair is usually by replacement of the whole lamp.

In the mean time has anyone done this job?

No, but I've seen plenty of headlamp motors and they've been built in to the headlamp. However, they've all been replaceable too by virtue of how they're constructed but I don't know if you can buy replacement motors new - you might need to weigh up looking for a motor from a smashed lamp or just replacing the whole affair from a scrappy or eBay.

I am assuming the motor has failed and this is not just a wiring fault.

I'd wait until you dismantle the thing before assuming that. It could equally be the motor, wiring or position feedback mechanism.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:
[...]

I assume they will be the same as my Cmax?
I have a spare set of LHD headlights I swap when driving abroad and I've
just had a look at them.
One screw (torx and slot combination head) and disengage 4 plastic tabs
to remove headlight from the car and then prise off the electrical
connector.
Remove the rear cover as if changing a bulb. Four more plastic tabs
Motor is in between the bulbs. Turn firmly about 60 degrees and release
the motor. Slide out the ball head from the socket that moves the lamp
assy. Motor has a 3 wire connector.
I'm not sure that there is any feedback on these lights as they are not
auto levelling, just a simple up and down dash control.

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 14:55:09 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Mathew Newton wrote:
[...]

Thanks to you both.

{Bob} Looks as though there are two standard type bolts holding the light
in, one hex head with inset posi/philips screw driver slots which screws
into the wing, and a hex head nut which screws into the front cross brace
plus I may have to remove the plastic front grille to get the unit out
(hope not but it looks straightforward).

Main thing is that it looks as though the two bolts I can see are the two
bolts I need to remove.

I can source a replacement from a breaker for around £35 or less including
delivery.
[I used http://www.breakeryard.com/ which finds breakers then tries to
get you to ring the breaker via an expensive 0701 number to pay for the
service. One helpful breaker rang me and gave me his normal land line
number. Unfortunately, one of the more expensive ones - £35 including VAT
and delivery. However I now have guide pricing. I would prefer a local
breaker if possible.]

Useful to have it confirmed that everything is all in the one unit - I was
reluctant to start tearing stuff apart without guidance because IMHO
usually BAD THINGStm happen when I do that.

{Mathew} I'm pretty sure it is the motor or the wiring - had someone work
the roller switch in the car and I could hear the near side motor moving
the lamp but no sound from the offside.
I will take out and investigate before ordering a part.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:
[...]

I've just check my son's 56 plate focus and it is virtually identical to
my 54 plate Cmax. One screw and possibly only 2 plastic tabs.

Maybe your focus is an earlier model?

Still could be a wiring fault though. Maybe plug the working light/motor
into the plug on the defective side before spending on a motor.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"David.WE.Roberts" writes:
I need to change the off side headlight motor on my daughter's Ford Focus
5 door Hatchback 1999 T reg.

I have the Haynes manual on order from the library.

In the mean time has anyone done this job?

Is the motor integrated into the headlamp fitting?

I am assuming the motor has failed and this is not just a wiring fault.

If it's the same as a Fiesta (at least, my previous one), you can easily
get to the motor by unclipping the front glass, but none of the parts
are sold separately - it's a whole new headlamp unit. Damn annoying as
the glass simply unclips from the front. I had to replace the whole unit
twice when the glass was smashed by stones. Second time, I bought a
cheaper unit without a motor, and just swapped the glass over.

You might be able to find someone who has had to do the same, and still
has the old unit with the motor.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 March 2013 11:53:09 UTC, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I am assuming the motor has failed and this is not just a wiring fault.

Dave R

Is this the bit you need?

http://r.ebay.com/78CH6K

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 09:46:22 -0800, JohnW wrote:

On Friday, 1 March 2013 11:53:09 UTC, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I am assuming the motor has failed and this is not just a wiring fault.

Dave R

Is this the bit you need?

http://r.ebay.com/78CH6K

John

Thanks.
Looks as though it should be, also new and cheaper than most quotes from
breakers.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 19:24:59 +0000, Terry Casey wrote:

In article ,
says...

{Bob} Looks as though there are two standard type bolts holding the
light in, one hex head with inset posi/philips screw driver slots which
screws into the wing, and a hex head nut which screws into the front
cross brace

I'm sure there are no bolts or screws as I once managed to remove the
offside one on my 2001 Focus by mistake when I was trying to remove a
dud headlamp bulb by touch!

It looked identical to the one in the E-bay link and I'm sure that the
only thing that stopped it coming right out was the connector and wiring
harness.

Thanks.

Are you suggesting that you can get it out just by taking the square cover
off the back of the housing and rooting around inside?
Much as Bob describes, but without having to take the housing out of the
car?

This must have been 8 or 9 years ago, so you'll have to rely on my memory for
this but I grabbed it by mistake, twisted and pulled and it definitely
disengaged from the reflector and came out of the lamp housing.

After that it was loose in my hand but, as I said, I never removed the
connector to remove it completely. However, there was nothing else stopping
it as I recall.

It was bitterly cold at the time and my memory is of fiddling about with it
for ages persuading the adjuster to re-engage with the reflector as I put it
back ...!

I wouldn't like to try it on the nearside with the battery blocking the rear
access, though ...

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 11:53:09 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I need to change the off side headlight motor on my daughter's Ford
Focus 5 door Hatchback 1999 T reg.

I have the Haynes manual on order from the library.

In the mean time has anyone done this job?

Is the motor integrated into the headlamp fitting?

I am assuming the motor has failed and this is not just a wiring fault.

Just a quick update.
Probably more complex than for the later Focus because this was the first
of the Focus range.

I've now got the headlight out.
Not one bolt, not even two, but a third hidden one under the wheel arch.
Should be fun to get back in.
You also need to take the centre grille out so you can get the headlight
out diagonally.
However once it is worked out then it comes out easily, just needing the
power connector unclipped.

After that you just take the 4 torx screws out and the back panel off and
you can then easily access the motor.
Wiggled the connections but still no sign of life so I have ordered
another one.
Hopefully here in a couple of days.

Thanks to all who have helped.

Cheers