Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Ford Focus headlight motor - changing

Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, March 1, 2013 11:53:09 AM UTC, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I have the Haynes manual on order from the library.

A Haynes manual is unlikely to go into the detail of changing a headlamp motor as the 'official' repair is usually by replacement of the whole lamp.

In the mean time has anyone done this job?

No, but I've seen plenty of headlamp motors and they've been built in to the headlamp. However, they've all been replaceable too by virtue of how they're constructed but I don't know if you can buy replacement motors new - you might need to weigh up looking for a motor from a smashed lamp or just replacing the whole affair from a scrappy or eBay.

I am assuming the motor has failed and this is not just a wiring fault.

I'd wait until you dismantle the thing before assuming that. It could equally be the motor, wiring or position feedback mechanism.

Mathew

I assume they will be the same as my Cmax?
I have a spare set of LHD headlights I swap when driving abroad and I've
just had a look at them.
One screw (torx and slot combination head) and disengage 4 plastic tabs
to remove headlight from the car and then prise off the electrical
connector.
Remove the rear cover as if changing a bulb. Four more plastic tabs
Motor is in between the bulbs. Turn firmly about 60 degrees and release
the motor. Slide out the ball head from the socket that moves the lamp
assy. Motor has a 3 wire connector.
I'm not sure that there is any feedback on these lights as they are not
auto levelling, just a simple up and down dash control.

hth

Bob