Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can Openers (O/T?)

Hello,
This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her
hands as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives
her trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion of
a suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chade" wrote in message

Hello,
This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her
hands as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives
her trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion of
a suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?

Go to Argos and buy an electric one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 13:32:28 -0800 (PST), Chade
wrote:

Hello,
This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her
hands as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives
her trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion of
a suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?

My mother and my sister who has developed arthritis in wrists at an
unfortunately young age both use one of these.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16645/Culi...uch-Can-Opener

If her hands are weak your mum may appreciate one of these as well
http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~145205...uch-Jar-Opener

Again both my mum and sister use one and despite it's somewhat flimsy
appearance and the groans it makes in use I haven't seen it fail on a
tight lid yet.

The above links are for illustrative purposes only, I'm neutral on the
suppliers in them.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2013 21:32, Chade wrote:
Hello,
This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her
hands as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives
her trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion of
a suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?

My partner only buys cans with ring pulls and she has a device similar
to this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Safe-Easy-Ri.../dp/B004P336PE

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2013 21:32, Chade wrote:
This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her
hands as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives
her trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion of
a suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?

We've got one of these (bought for similar reasons):
http://tinyurl.com/ba8s9fa (or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-CO60...1951016&sr=1-9)

Works very well
--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote
Chade wrote

This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her
hands as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives
her trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion
of a suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?

My partner only buys cans with ring pulls

Just not feasible for some stuff.

and she has a device similar to this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Safe-Easy-Ri.../dp/B004P336PE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello,
This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her hands
as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives her
trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion of a
suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?

My mother and my sister who has developed arthritis in wrists at an
unfortunately young age both use one of these.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16645/Culi...uch-Can-Opener

I use a previous version of one of these, it's brilliant. I only recharge the eneloop batteries I use in it once or
twice a year.

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2013 08:01, Rod Speed wrote:
Nightjar wrote
Chade wrote

This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her
hands as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives
her trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion of
a suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?

My partner only buys cans with ring pulls

Just not feasible for some stuff.

Not had any problems in the past five years.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 8:01*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Nightjar wrote

My partner only buys cans with ring pulls

Just not feasible for some stuff.

Obviously feasible for everything his partner buys. Do you have
anything at all useful to contribute?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello,
This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her
hands as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives
her trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion of
a suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?

We went down this road a few months ago. Got my elderly mother both
the tin opener and jar opener described by damduck-egg. Both work
well. But subsequently we got the JML one mentioned by Grimly. It has
four batteries in it and is a little larger as a result, as opposed to
the two batteries in the Culinaire one, so I assume is more powerful.
It also works well. See http://tinyurl.com/byyhha2

A feature that I like and forgot to mention is that the JML can opener
cuts _through_ the rim of the tin, not below it nor down through the
top. As a result, you have a blunt edge on both the opened tin and the
removed top. Half the rim remains on the body of the can, and half on
the top that's cut off, so there's very little chance of cutting
yourself on an exposed sharp edge.

Sadly it also means it won't cope with some cans. Also build quality is
what you would expect of jML. We have three, two of them no longer open
cans. They make a noise, run around the edge - can not opened.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nthkentman wrote:

"Chade" wrote in message

Hello,
This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her
hands as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives
her trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion of
a suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?

Go to Argos and buy an electric one

Some electric ones require considerable hand pressure to get them started.

So I'd look for one specifically for those with a weak grip, etc.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , damduck-
says...

My mother and my sister who has developed arthritis in wrists at an
unfortunately young age both use one of these.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16645/Culi...uch-Can-Opener

I don't understand why people are so keen on openers which leave a lid
with a nice safe blunt edge - but also leave a tin with lethally sharp
edges!

My wife uses one and, in my view, the tin is far more dangerous than a
sharp edged lid.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Plusnet wrote
wrote

My mother and my sister who has developed arthritis in wrists
at an unfortunately young age both use one of these.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16645/Culi...uch-Can-Opener

I don't understand why people are so keen on openers which leave a lid
with a nice safe blunt edge - but also leave a tin with lethally sharp
edges!

Mine doesn't leave the tin with lethally sharp edges.

The only effect I get is that the tins arent as rigid at the top so they
aren't always as useful as empty tin cans when opened that way.

My wife uses one and, in my view, the tin is
far more dangerous than a sharp edged lid.

My tins arent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Feb, 21:32, Chade wrote:
Hello,
This may be off topic but my Mum has developed difficulty with her
hands as she has got older. One of the things that particularly gives
her trouble is opening cans of food. Does anyone have a suggestion of
a suitable opener? I am thinking maybe something electric?

Thanks everyone for your replies. The Culinare looks good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2013 18:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article , damduck-
says...

My mother and my sister who has developed arthritis in wrists at an
unfortunately young age both use one of these.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16645/Culi...uch-Can-Opener

I don't understand why people are so keen on openers which leave a lid
with a nice safe blunt edge - but also leave a tin with lethally sharp
edges!

My wife uses one and, in my view, the tin is far more dangerous than a
sharp edged lid.

If you have a can sealing machine, you want to take the rolled edge off,
so that the can may be reused. Not that I expect that there are many
people who do that these days.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 27/02/2013 18:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article , damduck-
says...

My mother and my sister who has developed arthritis in wrists at an
unfortunately young age both use one of these.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16645/Culi...uch-Can-Opener

I don't understand why people are so keen on openers which leave a lid
with a nice safe blunt edge - but also leave a tin with lethally sharp
edges!

My wife uses one and, in my view, the tin is far more dangerous than a
sharp edged lid.

If you have a can sealing machine, you want to take the rolled edge off,
so that the can may be reused. Not that I expect that there are many
people who do that these days.

I do still uses them a bit, mainly for the fat left over after a
roast lamb etc before putting the roast pan in the dishwasher.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2013 03:12, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 27/02/2013 18:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article , damduck-
says...

My mother and my sister who has developed arthritis in wrists at an
unfortunately young age both use one of these.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16645/Culi...uch-Can-Opener

I don't understand why people are so keen on openers which leave a lid
with a nice safe blunt edge - but also leave a tin with lethally sharp
edges!

My wife uses one and, in my view, the tin is far more dangerous than a
sharp edged lid.

If you have a can sealing machine, you want to take the rolled edge
off, so that the can may be reused. Not that I expect that there are
many people who do that these days.

I do still uses them a bit, mainly for the fat left over after a
roast lamb etc before putting the roast pan in the dishwasher.

You tin and preserve left over fat?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, just find it a convenient place to pour it into
and throw it in the garbage once its solidified.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:51:14 -0800 (PST), Chade
wrote:

Thanks everyone for your replies. The Culinare looks good.

If still reading... I asked similar a while ago. Oxo brand [ avail
from dunelm] was recommended to me. Bought one and proved excellent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 07:56:47 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

We went down this road a few months ago. Got my elderly mother both
the tin opener and jar opener described by damduck-egg. Both work
well. But subsequently we got the JML one mentioned by Grimly. It has
four batteries in it and is a little larger as a result, as opposed to
the two batteries in the Culinaire one, so I assume is more powerful.
It also works well. See http://tinyurl.com/byyhha2

I see a few buyers slagging off the JML one, but I suspect it's more
to do with their cack-handed manner of positioning the opener on the
tin. It is possible to mis-align it, and if you do that with every tin
it will probably buggerup the cutting edge.
Fortunately, it doesn't take much of a clue to get it right and
perhaps that's too much of a stretch for some people.

I hate can openers!! steamer Metalworking 21 March 28th 11 03:09 AM
Update: Tin / Can openers. T i m UK diy 5 April 24th 10 10:27 AM
Tin / can openers? T i m UK diy 102 April 20th 10 02:14 PM
Tin openers Tim Decker UK diy 55 September 21st 08 03:06 PM
Gate Openers [email protected] UK diy 0 April 7th 08 01:28 AM