Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - any Raspberry PI / Debian Squeeze experts out there ?

HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about €40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along
the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...
anybody see other obvious snags ??

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2012 08:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about €40.

Is that a fruit based drink for the Ladies?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/12 08:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about ‚¬40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input

definitely.

b) run a slidehow of jpgs

I suspect so.

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along
the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...
anybody see other obvious snags ??

A bit of scripting required..
Thanks
Adrian

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2012 08:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about €40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along
the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...
anybody see other obvious snags ??

Thanks
Adrian

Sure, just don't go into X and use a console based utility for viewing a
slideshow of images. Perhaps using fbi which is available in raspbian.
Have it run as part of the boot.

Harder part might be doing HDMI to VGA. Converters for that weren't
cheap when I last looked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2012 08:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about €40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along
the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...
anybody see other obvious snags ??

Use a display with DVI or HDMI (the video part is the same and you just
need a cable to convert the video between them, but not the digital
audio, if you need it you need HDMI).

maybe you would be better off with

http://www.ebuyer.com/225049-xenta-h...-usb-sd-pdm05h

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/284514-full-hd...-player-a8-f10

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 09:14:33 +0000, HarpingOn
wrote:

[...]

It's was a big mistake to omit VGA output from the Pi IMHO. I looked
into the cost of a converter and decided instead to buy a new monitor.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb SD-card
for about €40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing keyboard
input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along the
lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...
anybody see other obvious snags ??

Similar to this
http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/...ter/dp/SC12764
at £39.99 or £47.99 including VAT?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2012 08:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about €40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along
the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...
anybody see other obvious snags ??

Thanks
Adrian

Anyone know if it is possible to use one of the USB-to-video (whether
VGA, DVI or HDMI) devices with a Raspberry Pi?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2012 08:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about €40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Yes and yes.

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along
the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...
anybody see other obvious snags ??

If you want true VGA then its somewhat harder. HDMI to DVI is just a
lead. To VGA is a more complicated converter. Having said that, any TV
will have HDMI these days.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 10:27*am, polygonum wrote:
On 08/11/2012 08:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about €40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along
the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...
anybody see other obvious snags ??

Thanks
Adrian

Anyone know if it is possible to use one of the USB-to-video (whether
VGA, DVI or HDMI) devices with a Raspberry Pi?

Don't know,but I do know there are problems with other USB devices due
to the drivers included with the particular flavour of Linux often
used with the R-Pi.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about ‚¬40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input

Yes, it auto-boots on power up anyway and you can set it to do
passwordless login. All that's then needed is to get a suitable
picture display program to run (see below) which should be easy enough
though you might have to ask for some help to do it.

b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Well it can certainly do this, I've set mine up to do it. I'm using a
program called jbrout and it chunters through displaying a 1080p image
from my digital camera jpegs quite happily. It takes about 4 seconds
to process the image (but the screen isn't blank, it just continues to
display the previous one).

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about €40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along
the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...

You could use something like
http://liliputing.com/2012/11/mele-a...m-storage.html
instead. Costs a bit more, but comes with a case and remote control, and
has VGA out.
http://dx.com/p/mele-a2000g-android-...-161843?item=5
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/12 11:13, wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about ‚¬40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input

Yes, it auto-boots on power up anyway and you can set it to do
passwordless login.

By login at all?

just run your program as root under the init process (or whatever its
called these days). Sick the script in /etc/rc2.d IIRC,

All that's then needed is to get a suitable
picture display program to run (see below) which should be easy enough
though you might have to ask for some help to do it.

b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Well it can certainly do this, I've set mine up to do it. I'm using a
program called jbrout and it chunters through displaying a 1080p image
from my digital camera jpegs quite happily. It takes about 4 seconds
to process the image (but the screen isn't blank, it just continues to
display the previous one).

Chug chug..

Everything written in python is slow..and often buggy too.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:10:54 +0000, Malcolm G wrote:
it has composite video

Hmm, that's interesting... wonder if it's configurable for NTSC rates, or
if it's PAL only?

and HDMI so most houses have something it can
talk to.

How is it for networking ability? If it's got Ethernet then presumably
there's nothing to stop you running graphical apps on it and using a
remote machine as the display.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:10:53 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
And any monitor will have DVI. Why is anyone farting about with VGA
these days?

Because that's all they need?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Harder part might be doing HDMI to VGA. Converters for that weren't
cheap when I last looked.

It's was a big mistake to omit VGA output from the Pi IMHO. I looked
into the cost of a converter and decided instead to buy a new monitor.

I don't think their target market needed it enough to justify the cost -
it has composite video and HDMI so most houses have something it can
talk to. (The chip they are using does not have SVGA support)

They gave some crap about VGA being legacy technology but *every*
monitor has a VGA input, but many don't have HDMI/DVI. I had lots of
monitors lying around but not one with a digital input. I would be
happy to pay extra for a Pi with VGA output, if one was available.

And composite video is ****e. I won't use for TV let alone a monitor.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 14:07:11 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:10:53 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
And any monitor will have DVI. Why is anyone farting about with VGA
these days?

Because that's all they need?

None of my monitors have DVI (except the new one I bought especially
for the Pi) and none of my TVs have HDMI. I don't chuck out working
stuff just so I can buy the lastest fashions.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2012 14:04, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:10:54 +0000, Malcolm G wrote:
it has composite video

Hmm, that's interesting... wonder if it's configurable for NTSC rates, or
if it's PAL only?

Can do both I believe.

and HDMI so most houses have something it can
talk to.

How is it for networking ability? If it's got Ethernet then presumably
there's nothing to stop you running graphical apps on it and using a
remote machine as the display.

The model B has ethernet on board. The model A can use a USB to ethernet
adaptor.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-08, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:10:53 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
And any monitor will have DVI. Why is anyone farting about with VGA
these days?

Because that's all they need?

Because ICBA to buy more monitor leads when I have a big boxful of VGA ones?

In my case I have DVI capable monitors, and video cards, but not a dual
head KVM switch with DVI ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb SD-card
for about €40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing keyboard
input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

The best place to ask about that would be on the raspberry pi forum:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/index.php

I've not tried any slide shows. Large 10mpixel photos I have viewed take
quite a while to be rescaled on the pi. Don't think it would do complex
changes.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Everything written in python is slow..and often buggy too.

Bit of an over-generalization, some things work well with a Python JIT,
and the Python imaging library is a wrapper for a C shared library anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about ‚¬40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along
the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...
anybody see other obvious snags ??

Similar to this
http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/...i-model-b-basi
c-starter/dp/SC12764
at £39.99 or £47.99 including VAT?

There's been a safety recall on the cpc power supplies for anyone who is
interested in their house not burning down

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 21:41:33 +0000, geoff wrote:

There's been a safety recall on the cpc power supplies for anyone who
is interested in their house not burning down

Oh er, bought a USB supply from them not that long ago for another
project but I have feeling it's the same one that they supply with the Pi
kits. Any clues as to part numbers etc?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 15:01:29 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 08/11/2012 14:04, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:10:54 +0000, Malcolm G wrote:
it has composite video

Hmm, that's interesting... wonder if it's configurable for NTSC rates, or
if it's PAL only?

Can do both I believe.

and HDMI so most houses have something it can
talk to.

How is it for networking ability? If it's got Ethernet then presumably
there's nothing to stop you running graphical apps on it and using a
remote machine as the display.

The model B has ethernet on board. The model A can use a USB to ethernet
adaptor.

Except the Model A doesn't exist as a saleable product and there is a remote
possibility it never will.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 21:41:33 +0000, geoff wrote:

There's been a safety recall on the cpc power supplies for anyone who
is interested in their house not burning down

Oh er, bought a USB supply from them not that long ago for another
project but I have feeling it's the same one that they supply with the Pi
kits. Any clues as to part numbers etc?

Its specifically issued with the R-pi

I've sent the old one back freepost and the replacement is FOC (i.e.
ended up with a free PSU)

give them a ring or email them if you're not sure

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:10:53 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
And any monitor will have DVI. Why is anyone farting about with VGA
these days?

Because that's all they need?

None of my monitors have DVI (except the new one I bought especially for
the Pi) and none of my TVs have HDMI. I don't chuck out working stuff
just so I can buy the lastest fashions.

Exactly. I'm running this 'ere monitor at a decent resolution and the
picture quality is perfectly fine; having to "upgrade" to something that
gives me exactly the same end result seems like a waste.

I'm sure there are applications that do benefit from DVI, but that
doesn't mean that VGA is suddenly bad all across the board just because
something better might exist for certain cases.

None of my TVs have anything other than RF* input, incidentally, but
that's still good enough for watching the odd half-hour of broadcast
dross or the occasional film (composite-RF converter box betwen DVD and
TV).

* well, I do have one with S-video, but the vertical sync's collapsed and
ICBA to fix it.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Harder part might be doing HDMI to VGA. Converters for that weren't
cheap when I last looked.

It's was a big mistake to omit VGA output from the Pi IMHO. I looked
into the cost of a converter and decided instead to buy a new monitor.

I don't think their target market needed it enough to justify the cost -
it has composite video and HDMI so most houses have something it can
talk to. (The chip they are using does not have SVGA support)

They gave some crap about VGA being legacy technology but *every*
monitor has a VGA input, but many don't have HDMI/DVI. I had lots of
monitors lying around but not one with a digital input. I would be
happy to pay extra for a Pi with VGA output, if one was available.

The reason it doesn't have VGA is because the SoC produces HDMI and
Composite video natively. To produce VGA would need a differert SoC or
an adapter and neither fit into the target price of $35.

HDMI to VGA adapters are becoming affordable - if £25 is affordable.

And composite video is ****e. I won't use for TV let alone a monitor.

It's usable. No worse than a BBC Micro was 30 years ago. I've displayed
640x480 on my (tube) TV - just about readable. Not really acceptible in
this modern day and age though, but ...

It is surprisingly more than good enough to enable me to watch videos
on my old tube TV though - quality appears better than some highly
compressed boradcast stuff on the same TV..

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 00:57:06 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Plus £50 delivery from China, I expect.

And composite video is ****e. I won't use for TV let alone a monitor.

It's usable. No worse than a BBC Micro was 30 years ago. I've displayed
640x480 on my (tube) TV - just about readable. Not really acceptible in
this modern day and age though, but ...

YMMV, but composite is not acceptable for me. It was just about OK on
a low-res BBC Micro but not now.

It is surprisingly more than good enough to enable me to watch videos
on my old tube TV though - quality appears better than some highly
compressed boradcast stuff on the same TV..

Yuck.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 22:44:14 +0000, geoff wrote:

Oh er, bought a USB supply from them not that long ago for another
project but I have feeling it's the same one that they supply with the
Pi kits. Any clues as to part numbers etc?

Its specifically issued with the R-pi

Pretty sure that they don't have a specific Pi PSU. They have generic USB
supply that they use in the Pi kits but is also available seperately.
Will have to dig about later.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:48:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 22:44:14 +0000, geoff wrote:

Oh er, bought a USB supply from them not that long ago for another
project but I have feeling it's the same one that they supply with the
Pi kits. Any clues as to part numbers etc?

Its specifically issued with the R-pi

Pretty sure that they don't have a specific Pi PSU. They have generic USB
supply that they use in the Pi kits but is also available seperately.
Will have to dig about later.

A lot of modern mobile phone PSUs will do the job. Just check it can
supply enough current.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 22:16:15 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 21:41:33 +0000, geoff wrote:

There's been a safety recall on the cpc power supplies for anyone who
is interested in their house not burning down

Oh er, bought a USB supply from them not that long ago for another
project but I have feeling it's the same one that they supply with the Pi
kits. Any clues as to part numbers etc?

This is a scan of a letter from CPC that someone posted on ****ter

https://twitter.com/FY5/status/25353.../photo/1/large

Post on the Raspberry Pi forum

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...p?f=63&t=18382

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

HDMI to VGA adapters are becoming affordable - if £25 is affordable.

Plus £50 delivery from China, I expect.

It's often cheaper to buy from China and have it delivered than drive say five
miles to a local supplier and pick it up. Similarly if a UK based online
supplier has a minimum order level for free delivery, it's often cheaper to go
on ebay, buy a similar or identical item from China, and just wait a week or
two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Harder part might be doing HDMI to VGA. Converters for that weren't
cheap when I last looked.

It's was a big mistake to omit VGA output from the Pi IMHO. I looked
into the cost of a converter and decided instead to buy a new monitor.

I don't think their target market needed it enough to justify the cost -
it has composite video and HDMI so most houses have something it can
talk to. (The chip they are using does not have SVGA support)

They gave some crap about VGA being legacy technology but *every*
monitor has a VGA input, but many don't have HDMI/DVI. I had lots of
monitors lying around but not one with a digital input. I would be
happy to pay extra for a Pi with VGA output, if one was available.

They must be *old* monitors then.

My current monitor has two DVI-D ports, one HDMI port and one VGA
port. Next generation will probably have no VGA. Our TV has four
HDMI ports and just one VGA.

I think you'll find it quite easy to buy a new monitor with only DVI-D
and/or HDMI inputs nowadays.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:48:56 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 22:44:14 +0000, geoff wrote:

Oh er, bought a USB supply from them not that long ago for another
project but I have feeling it's the same one that they supply with the
Pi kits. Any clues as to part numbers etc?

Its specifically issued with the R-pi

Pretty sure that they don't have a specific Pi PSU. They have generic
USB supply that they use in the Pi kits but is also available
seperately. Will have to dig about later.

I'd like to know too. I bought a generic USB supply from them too, but ot
with a Pi.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 10:25:23 +0000, Mark wrote:

Pretty sure that they don't have a specific Pi PSU. They have generic
USB supply that they use in the Pi kits but is also available
seperately. Will have to dig about later.

A lot of modern mobile phone PSUs will do the job. Just check it can
supply enough current.

That makes the assumption people have a modern mobile phone PSU... My
phone is about 8 years old might be a older. Makes voice calls, handles
texts, allows data, what else do you wanta phone to do?

I'll be interested in how it's going to start working on 3G as per the
flyer I got with this months bill though. B-)

As for Pi PSU's not sure now having hada look at the CPC site. The images
in the kits show a hardwired cable on the PSU. Mine is a USB supply with
detachable cable. I don't suppose anyone has the details of the recalled
one. No obvious mention of a recall on the CPC site either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 10:31:25 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:
This is a scan of a letter from CPC that someone posted on ****ter

https://twitter.com/FY5/status/25353.../photo/1/large

Thanks for that. Not the one I bought. B-)

The affected part is CPC part No. PW03039 a PowerPax SW4142, SW4142-R or
SW4142-N.

The letter says it's just a case problem that could expose live bits,
rather than a fire risk.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:

To produce VGA would need a differert SoC or
an adapter and neither fit into the target price of $35.

HDMI to VGA adapters are becoming affordable - if £25 is affordable.

When I bought a case for my R-Pi from Amazon, there were HDMI to VGA
adapters in the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section
for under £12 (including delivery).

--
Geoff Clare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 00:57:06 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
The reason it doesn't have VGA is because the SoC produces HDMI and
Composite video natively. To produce VGA would need a differert SoC or
an adapter and neither fit into the target price of $35.

Hmm, I wonder if the analogue YUV signals needed to form the single
analogue composite signal are brought out as pins on the video IC? It'd
still need conversion to RGB, but I think there are ways of doing this
quite cheaply, and the quality would be a lot better than deconstructing
a single composite signal into RGB and sync.

It's usable. No worse than a BBC Micro was 30 years ago. I've displayed
640x480 on my (tube) TV - just about readable. Not really acceptible in
this modern day and age though, but ...

Yeah, I've got an old PC with composite output on the video (it's an ATI
card, I think) and it's watchable on a TV. Not good, but watchable.

I've got another board kicking around which has S-video output, so it's
on the to-do list to build a converter for that and try it (I've still
only got composite input at the far end, but I'm curious to see if
running the video via a good-quality S-video cable and then doing the
conversion at the far end improves things)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2012 08:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb
SD-card for about €40.

Does anybody know if this kit can can
a) be set up to auto-run a program from power-on without needing
keyboard input
b) run a slidehow of jpgs

Application is a cheapie way of running a shop-window display - along
the lines of the 'digital picture frames' - but with a bigger display ?

I see that the output is HDMI so I'd need to adapt that to VGA...
anybody see other obvious snags ??

Thanks
Adrian

I'm using a Pi to display live results of a sporting event with the data
being served from a Windows PC over WiFi. The Pi has no keyboard, is
connected to the monitor with an HDMI-DVI-D cable and a USB cable for
power. The Pi boots straight into the application and contact with the
server and configuration is automatic.

The display results are received by a Python script and displayed on a
scrolling display.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:48:14 AM UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 08/11/2012 08:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

HI Folks

I see CPC are doing the Raspberry PI with Debian Squeeze on a 4gb

SD-card for about €40.

Is that a fruit based drink for the Ladies?

I thought they cooked that on professional masterchef the other night :-0