Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default OT - any Raspberry PI / Debian Squeeze experts out there ?

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 00:57:06 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
The reason it doesn't have VGA is because the SoC produces HDMI and
Composite video natively. To produce VGA would need a differert SoC or
an adapter and neither fit into the target price of $35.

Hmm, I wonder if the analogue YUV signals needed to form the single
analogue composite signal are brought out as pins on the video IC? It'd
still need conversion to RGB, but I think there are ways of doing this
quite cheaply, and the quality would be a lot better than deconstructing
a single composite signal into RGB and sync.

It's usable. No worse than a BBC Micro was 30 years ago. I've displayed
640x480 on my (tube) TV - just about readable. Not really acceptible in
this modern day and age though, but ...

Yeah, I've got an old PC with composite output on the video (it's an ATI
card, I think) and it's watchable on a TV. Not good, but watchable.

I've got another board kicking around which has S-video output, so it's
on the to-do list to build a converter for that and try it (I've still
only got composite input at the far end, but I'm curious to see if
running the video via a good-quality S-video cable and then doing the
conversion at the far end improves things)

cheers

Jules