Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default German style toilets?

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012, "Adam Funk" writ:

On 2012-08-08, Mike Lane wrote:

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet into
two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to
include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying not
to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

I'm not condoning saving soap this way (5th "pro"), but overall the
cartoon is funny:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/peeing_sitting_down

Some of us with prostate conditions have to pee sitting down. Standing
at a urinal for 5 minutes and having the residue dribble down your
trousers is no fun.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, "Tony Bryer" writ:

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 19:46:43 +0100 Mike Lane wrote :
In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to
include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying
not to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

Same here in Australia - though you can wash your hands in the separate
laundry: it doesn't seem to occur to Aussies that washing your hands after
using the loo and before touching door handles would be a good idea but
they're
appalled by the idea of mixing dirty washing and food, thus every house has a
separate laundry (or in flats like mine, wm and laundry sink in the bathroom).

On some cruise ships I have sailed on there is a sign by the door asking
one to turn the door handle with a paper towel and deposit it in the bin
outside. Only in the gent's though. Is this because men are notorious
for not washing their hands after a wiz?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a
Japanese cistern for my outside toilet, one of those with
a washbasin built in. Any ideas?

If that's a washbasin as the top of the cistern, I saw one
in a Leroy Merlin (France I'm afraid) a few weeks ago

John

--
John Mulrooney

The world is full of willing people; some willing to work, the rest willing to let them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 11:32:49 +1000 Rod Speed wrote :
Like hell you do. The MOST that you can claim is that
SOME of the houses are done the way he described.

Look at the floor plans on any developer's site and you'll
soon see what the norm for new housing is, for example
http://www.simonds.com.au/our-homes.php

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Like hell you do. The MOST that you can claim is that
SOME of the houses are done the way he described.

Look at the floor plans on any developer's site and you'll
soon see what the norm for new housing is, for example
http://www.simonds.com.au/our-homes.php

Irrelevant to your stupid pig ignorant claim that they are all done like
that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2012 08:11 Tim+ wrote:

I'd agree that you can't admire a stinking pile of poo so easily in a UK
type loo but then you don't have to drop it in the water. A few sheets of
loo paper, a strategically placed hand, "squeeze" and Bob's your uncle.

Exactly! And is how the NHS bowel cancer screening works. Except you've
then to use the mini shovel to smear some onto a card.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/08/2012 08:11 Tim+ wrote:

I'd agree that you can't admire a stinking pile of poo so easily in a UK
type loo but then you don't have to drop it in the water. A few sheets
of
loo paper, a strategically placed hand, "squeeze" and Bob's your uncle.

Exactly! And is how the NHS bowel cancer screening works. Except you've
then to use the mini shovel to smear some onto a card.

At wodneys you just crap on the tarmac and sort it out from there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fenwoman wrote in message

I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my
plumber to install? I have various health problems which necessitate
checking my 'leavings' which is impossible with the UK type loo. Also my
grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms. The chemists
said "so are there worms in your stools?" to which I replied, "how the
hell should I know. It drops and disappears under the water. Should I
plunge my hand into the water to retrieve it?" Personally I think the
German style is a must for people with children and those who are
proactive about our health. Perhaps the UK's poor cure rates for things
like bowel cancer comes because we cannot check our stools, meaning that
by the time pain is noticed, the disease has progressed too far to cure.
I check the poo of all of my animals in order to ensure they are
parasite free and have no blood or anything in it, so why do humans not
do the same?

--
fenwoman

For anyone having to do such inspections , much more straightforward
process.
Halve / halve ... etc ordinary newspaper newsprint, not magazines , until
rectangles just bigger than the water area of the trap. One sheet at a time,
before doing your business, has never been known to cause a blockage, if
using flimsy newsprint that is.
The nail on the bog door is not obligatory. Nor is selecting newspaper pics
of the Prime Ministor to do your business on, but it may help your mental
health .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-08, Mike Lane wrote:

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet into
two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to
include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying not
to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

I'm not condoning saving soap this way (5th "pro"), but overall the
cartoon is funny:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/peeing_sitting_down

Some of us with prostate conditions have to pee sitting down. Standing
at a urinal for 5 minutes and having the residue dribble down your
trousers is no fun.

I'm sorry if that was offensive. I was just out to mock the idea that
people can get away without washing their hands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , N_Cook
writes

For anyone having to do such inspections , much more straightforward
process.
Halve / halve ... etc ordinary newspaper newsprint, not magazines , until
rectangles just bigger than the water area of the trap. One sheet at a time,
before doing your business, has never been known to cause a blockage, if
using flimsy newsprint that is.

The nail on the bog door is not obligatory. Nor is selecting newspaper pics
of the Prime Ministor to do your business on, but it may help your mental
health .

Bloody politicians sticking their nose in our business again . . . . ?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 8:08*am, Percy wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, "Brian Gaff" writ:

Yes interesting this one. Not many medications applied up the bum in this
country, but go abroad and they are everywhere.

Brian

Is that because they can't keep them up there?

"They don't like it up 'em", said corporal Jones.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 8:09*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
MM wrote

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
wrote
I check the poo of all of my animals in order to
ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or
anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?
Because we have a thing about ****
- we prefer to leave it out of sight.

And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

The bowel cancer death rates aren't any lower in germany.

Visual inspection of turds is useless for detecting bowel cancer.

It can however give visual clues to the posibility of bowel cancer or
other conditions.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 8, 7:46*pm, Mike Lane wrote:
Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet into
two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this,

Quite common in the UK at one time. Often get knocked into one room.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, "Adam Funk" writ:

On 2012-08-08, Mike Lane wrote:

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

[...]

You did not offend me. I was just making an observation. The link was
amusing but, I thought I would point out that it can be necessary for
real reasons )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote
Rod Speed wrote
MM wrote
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
wrote

I check the poo of all of my animals in order to
ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or
anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?

Because we have a thing about ****
- we prefer to leave it out of sight.

And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

The bowel cancer death rates aren't any lower in germany.

Visual inspection of turds is useless for detecting bowel cancer.

It can however give visual clues to the posibility of bowel cancer

Nope, when you can see anything in the turds, its MUCH too late.

There's a reason that bowel cancer screening
doesn't just tell you to look at your turds, stupid.

or other conditions.

Not fatal ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 8:52*am, JTM wrote:
If that's a washbasin as the top of the cistern, I saw one
in a Leroy Merlin (France I'm afraid) a few weeks ago

You mean the British now have to go to France to find decent plumbing?

The country really has gone to the dogs...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 8, 7:03*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:

Get a Japanese toilet to go with it. One of those with the robot rectum
scrubber.

Do Japanese robots have rectums?

I presume Bristol's SlugBot must do....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote
Mike Lane wrote
Roberts wrote

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom
and the toilet into two separate rooms

In France they often do this,

Quite common in the UK at one time.

Yeah, when the ****ter was out in the yard and
the bathroom was the kitchen, used one a year.

Often get knocked into one room.

Only by fools.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 9:59*am, F news@nowhere wrote:
Exactly! And is how the NHS bowel cancer screening works. Except you've
then to use the mini shovel to smear some onto a card.

Puts you right off having a tub of icecream at the cinema too
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 08:15:38 +0100, Percy wrote:

On some cruise ships I have sailed on there is a sign by the door asking
one to turn the door handle with a paper towel and deposit it in the bin
outside. Only in the gent's though. Is this because men are notorious
for not washing their hands after a wiz?

Yep; I can't answer for most other men, but from what I've seen,
British and Irish men are generally filthy, dirty *******s for that
kind of unthinking, careless, behaviour.
Total pigs, most of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:21:56 +0100, "brass monkey" wrote:

At wodneys you just crap on the tarmac and sort it out from there.

Tarmac? That would be around at Wod's richer siblings, the ones with
the decorated caravan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 08:15:38 +0100, Percy wrote:

On some cruise ships I have sailed on there is a sign by the door asking
one to turn the door handle with a paper towel and deposit it in the bin
outside. Only in the gent's though. Is this because men are notorious
for not washing their hands after a wiz?

Yep; I can't answer for most other men, but from what I've seen,
British and Irish men are generally filthy, dirty *******s for that
kind of unthinking, careless, behaviour.
Total pigs, most of them.

Now look, I take a bath at least once a year whether I need it or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 12:03*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote

Rod Speed wrote
MM wrote
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
wrote
I check the poo of all of my animals in order to
ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or
anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?
Because we have a thing about ****
- we prefer to leave it out of sight.
And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...
The bowel cancer death rates aren't any lower in germany.
Visual inspection of turds is useless for detecting bowel cancer.

It can however give visual clues to the posibility of bowel cancer

Nope, when you can see anything in the turds, its MUCH too late.

There's a reason that bowel cancer screening
doesn't just tell you to look at your turds, stupid.

It may well be too late, if you have never been screened. It's stil
true.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ spake thus:

fenwoman wrote:
I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my
plumber to install? I have various health problems which necessitate
checking my 'leavings' which is impossible with the UK type loo.

Before you go to all the trouble of sourcing and fitting a German loo,
perhaps you should think again about why you think it's "impossible"
with a UK style loo.

I'd agree that you can't admire a stinking pile of poo so easily in a UK
type loo but then you don't have to drop it in the water. A few sheets
of loo paper, a strategically placed hand, "squeeze" and Bob's your
uncle. You now have a portion of poo to examine as closely as you like
and which can then be dropped down the loo when you're finished.

Tim

If Gilbert and George can do it...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 12:05*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote

Mike Lane wrote
Roberts wrote
The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom
and the toilet into two separate rooms
In France they often do this,

Quite common in the UK at one time.

Yeah, when the ****ter was out in the yard and
the bathroom was the kitchen, used one a year.

Wrong again, as usual.

Often get knocked into one room.

Only by fools.

Don't judge others by your own standards.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Man at B&Q scribeth thus
On Aug 9, 8:09*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
MM wrote

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
wrote
I check the poo of all of my animals in order to
ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or
anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?
Because we have a thing about ****
- we prefer to leave it out of sight.
And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

The bowel cancer death rates aren't any lower in germany.

Visual inspection of turds is useless for detecting bowel cancer.

Umm .. beg to differ to the idiot post above....

It is useful for visible blood. Any blood in faeces is a warning sign of
something wrong. Sometimes if its bright red it can be simple piles AKA
Haemorrhoids, but a duller shade usually means its come from higher up
the digestive tract.

So any blood in faeces is a warning and should be checked out as soon as
possible especially if your male and over 50 or any history of bowel
cancer in your family..

Occult blood this is blood in faeces but not visible usually comes from
the same source. There is a simple test for this and screening programs
are available.

Oddly enough if it is bowel cancer and can be caught early enough it is
one of the simplest cancers to cure, just snip out the offender before
it has any chance to go anywhere and bobs yer whatsisname;!.

However once its spread it can be rather difficult to treat..

As for detection an Endoscopy is the gold standard test. This site has a
lot more info them most and its well worth a good look.

http://www.gihealth.com/

So next time your at the docs and are as said over 50 odd then ASK him
or her for a test..

There are some photos and videos of tests in progress.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:46:43 +0100, Mike Lane wrote:

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet
into two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to
include any kind of washing facility in the separate loo.

Our place has bath/toilet in one room and the sink in an adjacent room.
It might be because it was originally a farmhouse, and it was useful to
grant employee access to the sink area even when the toilet was in use -
although looking in the basement there's also evidence that the house was
doubled in size during the 1940s, and half of it is actually a much older
structure, so it's perhaps just an evolutionary thing.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 10:06:08 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:
Nope, plenty, including mine, have a sink in the dunny, tho often one
that doesn't come out from the all all that far and are only good for
washing your hands.

Are you sure that you haven't been ****ing in the bath and washing your
hands in the bog?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-08, Mike Lane wrote:

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

[...]

Thanks!

amusing but, I thought I would point out that it can be necessary for
real reasons )

Right, but wash your hands anyway. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-09, Scion wrote:

Tim+ spake thus:

fenwoman wrote:
I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my
plumber to install? I have various health problems which necessitate
checking my 'leavings' which is impossible with the UK type loo.

Before you go to all the trouble of sourcing and fitting a German loo,
perhaps you should think again about why you think it's "impossible"
with a UK style loo.

I'd agree that you can't admire a stinking pile of poo so easily in a UK
type loo but then you don't have to drop it in the water. A few sheets
of loo paper, a strategically placed hand, "squeeze" and Bob's your
uncle. You now have a portion of poo to examine as closely as you like
and which can then be dropped down the loo when you're finished.

If Gilbert and George can do it...

They're practising art, not medicine!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

You havent got a ****ing clue about how much of Australia does things.

And yet you're an expert on Italy - despite never having been there.

Australia is easy to understand. It's a ****ing big beach full of failed
cockney criminals, liberally supplied with chip shops and the beer is
gnats' ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2012 10:49, fred wrote:
In article , N_Cook writes

For anyone having to do such inspections , much more straightforward
process.
Halve / halve ... etc ordinary newspaper newsprint, not magazines ,
until
rectangles just bigger than the water area of the trap. One sheet at a
time,
before doing your business, has never been known to cause a blockage, if
using flimsy newsprint that is.

The nail on the bog door is not obligatory. Nor is selecting newspaper
pics
of the Prime Ministor to do your business on, but it may help your mental
health .

Bloody politicians sticking their nose in our business again . . . . ?

I could not be arsed to read all the posts. But having lived in Germany
for a number (tempted to add 2 here) years I was a convert. What I like
is there is no splash back, which is an inconvenience. The only solution
in this country is to line the pan first with paper. Thanks goodness it
is recycled these days!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:18:26 PM UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 August 2012 11:28:33 UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:

I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German

style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my

plumber to install?

Not a clue, sorry. I've been looking for one for a couple of years, as a friend wants one installed. No luck so far. Several "bathroom stores" have given various lies along the lines of "they're illegal", "they won't fit the pipes" and (best of all) "you can't have one of those because of EU rules".

I know one person who had one installed. They bought it whilst visiting family in Germany and drove it back. Maybe you can find a reasonable price for pallet shipping? That's quite a sensible business these days.

In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a Japanese cistern for my outside toilet, one of those with a washbasin built in. Any ideas?

There is this one, but it's not cheap.
http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/B...nd-Basin-.html

There must be a less expensive DIY solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2012 12:06 Andy Dingley wrote:

On Aug 9, 9:59 am, F news@nowhere wrote:
Exactly! And is how the NHS bowel cancer screening works. Except you've
then to use the mini shovel to smear some onto a card.

Puts you right off having a tub of icecream at the cinema too

Not really: just make sure you wash the shovel thoroughly first and ask
for strawberry or vanilla rather than chocolate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
[...]

See my previous reply. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2012 08:52, JTM wrote:
If that's a washbasin as the top of the cistern, I saw one
in a Leroy Merlin (France I'm afraid) a few weeks ago

You didn't have to say it was France, it's always France.

Nowhere else in the developed world has squat toilets, urinals on the
outside, urinals placed so the ladies have to walk past them, or toilets
with lights that only stay on for 5 seconds...

.... and that's the ones I saw last week.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 21:03:30 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Nope, when you can see anything in the turds, its MUCH too late.

Rubbish. Thousands of people detect a trace of blood from a duodenal
ulcer, IBS, colitis, or diverticulosis and subsequently are found not
to have cancer.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote
Man at B&Q wrote
Rod Speed wrote
MM wrote
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
wrote

I check the poo of all of my animals in order to
ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or
anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?

Because we have a thing about ****
- we prefer to leave it out of sight.

And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

The bowel cancer death rates aren't any lower in germany.

Visual inspection of turds is useless for detecting bowel cancer.

Umm .. beg to differ to the idiot post above....

Down on your knees, fool.

It is useful for visible blood.

Which is much too late for viable bowel cancer detection.

Any blood in faeces is a warning sign of something wrong.

Wrong, as always. Its usually just haemorrhoids.

Sometimes if its bright red it can be simple piles AKA Haemorrhoids,

Normally, not sometimes.

but a duller shade usually means its come from higher up the digestive
tract.

But when its visible, its much too late for viable bowel cancer detection.

So any blood in faeces is a warning and
should be checked out as soon as possible

But when its visible, its much too late for viable bowel cancer detection.

especially if your male and over 50 or any
history of bowel cancer in your family..

But when its visible, its much too late for viable bowel cancer detection.

Occult blood this is blood in faeces but not visible
usually comes from the same source. There is a simple
test for this and screening programs are available.

What I said, stupid.

Oddly enough if it is bowel cancer and can be caught early enough

And that isn't going to happen by scrutinising your turds.

it is one of the simplest cancers to cure, just snip out the offender
before it has any chance to go anywhere and bobs yer whatsisname;!.

However once its spread it can be rather difficult to treat..

As for detection an Endoscopy is the gold standard test.

But isn't the best approach to early detection.
That's best left until after a screening positive.

This site has a lot more info them most and its well worth a good look.
http://www.gihealth.com/

Not if you understand the basics already.

So next time your at the docs and are as said
over 50 odd then ASK him or her for a test..

No point, he already knows what needs to be done.

There are some photos and videos of tests in progress.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote
Rod Speed wrote

You havent got a ****ing clue about how much of Australia does things.

And yet you're an expert on Italy - despite never having been there.

You have no ****ing idea about where I have been, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:
Steve Firth wrote Rod Speed wrote

You havent got a ****ing clue about how much of Australia does things.

And yet you're an expert on Italy - despite never having been there.

You have no ****ing idea about where I have been, ****wit.

I know that you've never been to Italy. Go on, tell me where you have been
in Italy. I like to watch you wriggle, squirm and lie.