Junior Member

Default German style toilets?

I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my plumber to install? I have various health problems which necessitate checking my 'leavings' which is impossible with the UK type loo. Also my grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms. The chemists said "so are there worms in your stools?" to which I replied, "how the hell should I know. It drops and disappears under the water. Should I plunge my hand into the water to retrieve it?" Personally I think the German style is a must for people with children and those who are proactive about our health. Perhaps the UK's poor cure rates for things like bowel cancer comes because we cannot check our stools, meaning that by the time pain is noticed, the disease has progressed too far to cure. I check the poo of all of my animals in order to ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 10:28:33 +0000, fenwoman
wrote:

I check the poo of all of my animals in order to ensure they are
parasite free and have no blood or anything in it, so why do humans not
do the same?

Because we have a thing about **** - we prefer to leave it out of
sight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
[...]

Because it stinks.
It's why the Water Closet was invented !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fenwoman spake thus:

I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one.

Ah, you want one with a "continental shelf".

Can't help you with your question, but a while back there was a funny true
story (in FHM ISTR) about a guy in Germany, went to one of the public
toilets there that had an attendant. He did his business but despite
pulling the chain several times the flush didn't work and his deposit was
left proudly on display. Rather than disgust the next user he called the
attendant over. Not being able to speak German, he pointed to the
offending excrement and pulled the chain to show that it didn't work.
Except, of course, it did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 August 2012 11:28:33 UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my
plumber to install?

Not a clue, sorry. I've been looking for one for a couple of years, as a friend wants one installed. No luck so far. Several "bathroom stores" have given various lies along the lines of "they're illegal", "they won't fit the pipes" and (best of all) "you can't have one of those because of EU rules"..

I know one person who had one installed. They bought it whilst visiting family in Germany and drove it back. Maybe you can find a reasonable price for pallet shipping? That's quite a sensible business these days.

In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a Japanese cistern for my outside toilet, one of those with a washbasin built in. Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
fenwoman

Having spent over three years in Germany and got used to the their toilets.
The big problem is that due to the stools not going under the water, it
creates a terrible smell which lingers. It is almost enough to put me off
drinking for the duration. The part I do like is the separation of the
bathroom and the toilet into two separate rooms
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my
plumber to install?

Amazon.de ?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
..
In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a Japanese cistern for
my outside toilet, one of those with a washbasin built in. Any ideas?

Get a Japanese toilet to go with it. One of those with the robot rectum
scrubber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 17:45:00 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote: .
In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a Japanese cistern
for my outside toilet, one of those with a washbasin built in. Any
ideas?

Get a Japanese toilet to go with it. One of those with the robot rectum
scrubber.

Do Japanese robots have rectums?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fenwoman wrote:
Personally I think the
German style is a must for people with children and those who are

You are Gillian McKeith AICMFP.

Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fenwoman" wrote in message

I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my
plumber to install? I have various health problems which necessitate
checking my 'leavings' which is impossible with the UK type loo.

If it's that important, use a bucket or tray, then dump the contents into
the WC.

The bucket will need cleaning, but that is no different to a children's
potty.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German

style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my

plumber to install?

The Flachspüler. Apparently they are less popular in Germany than formerly, but are available in some DIY stores there. Still popular in Austria, apparently.

Search for that word on E-Bay, selecting the European Union location option and see if anyone will deliver to the UK. Your chances of getting one without Postman Pat or the courier pulverising it are slim, IMHO.

They shocked many young cold war warriors on their first trip abroad; that and streets with NO litter. They were mentioned in a thread on Arrse, appropriately enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German

style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my

plumber to install?

Don't know whether it still does but Wickes basic bathroom suite used to contain a toilet with a German-style shelf. I think it was available separately too.

Also Aldi's weekly offers have included toilets - might they be German-style?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
Also my

grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms.

I was warned about those while doing plumbing for an education authority. Horrible bloody things, the worst arse itch you can get. Apparently 25 to 35% of primary school children are infected and the eggs are minute and easily ingested. A large percentage of the population is infected but live in ignorance because we don't like to discuss such things. You can scrub your hands and still pick them up from the tap or door handle on the way out, or from something that's been handled by someone who didn't wash theirs.

I've been told angelica will clear them, but have never had cause to try it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Onetap" wrote in message
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
Also my

grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms.

I was warned about those while doing plumbing for an education authority.
Horrible bloody things, the worst arse itch you can get.
Apparently 25 to 35% of primary school children are infected and the eggs
are minute and easily ingested.

Well don't eat the children then!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet into
two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying not
to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2012 19:29, Onetap wrote:
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
Also my

grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Threadw...roduction.aspx

Tells you more. Good hygiene is the crucial thing not the style of WC
you have.

--
Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , BartC writes
"fenwoman" wrote in message

I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my
plumber to install? I have various health problems which necessitate
checking my 'leavings' which is impossible with the UK type loo.

If it's that important, use a bucket or tray, then dump the contents into
the WC.

The bucket will need cleaning, but that is no different to a children's
potty.

Make a game of it and attempt to park a coil on a cone in a Mr Whippy
stylee!

Contrary to some other assertions I challenge anyone not to be aware
that they have a threadworm infection (paracitism?), it involves some
absolutely unignorable symptoms and any children in the family would be
wriggling like nobody's business from second one. Buying multiple family
packs of insert name of overpriced threadworm medicine here and dosing
every 8 hours prevents reoccurrence at least from the in-house source.

(Such an amusing thread ? that I had to suspend my rule of not
replying to posts originating from that worthless leech of usenet that
is diybanter)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crosland explained :
On 08/08/2012 19:29, Onetap wrote:
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
Also my

grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Threadw...roduction.aspx

Tells you more. Good hygiene is the crucial thing not the style of WC you
have.

But she said that she has various health issues that necessitate
inspection of her 'leavings'. The "grandson infecting with threadworm"
was just an added bit of info.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
news
On 08/08/2012 19:29, Onetap wrote:
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
Also my

grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Threadw...roduction.aspx

Tells you more. Good hygiene is the crucial thing not the style of WC you
have.

She wants the kraut dunny for other reasons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
Peter Crosland explained :
On 08/08/2012 19:29, Onetap wrote:
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
Also my

grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Threadw...roduction.aspx

Tells you more. Good hygiene is the crucial thing not the style of WC
you have.

But she said that she has various health issues that necessitate
inspection of her 'leavings'. The "grandson infecting with threadworm"
was just an added bit of info.

Assuming its not a troll ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-08, Mike Lane wrote:

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet into
two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying not
to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

I'm not condoning saving soap this way (5th "pro"), but overall the
cartoon is funny:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/peeing_sitting_down
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 21:18:42 +0100, geoff wrote:

Assuming its not a troll ...

Do Trolls get threadworms? I thought they were silicaceous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff explained on 08/08/2012 :
In message , Dave
writes
Peter Crosland explained :
On 08/08/2012 19:29, Onetap wrote:
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
Also my

grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Threadw...roduction.aspx

Tells you more. Good hygiene is the crucial thing not the style of WC you
have.

But she said that she has various health issues that necessitate inspection
of her 'leavings'. The "grandson infecting with threadworm" was just an
added bit of info.

Assuming its not a troll ...

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that "Fenwoman" was a pseudonym for
Mary Fisher who used to post in here regularly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes
On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 21:18:42 +0100, geoff wrote:

Assuming its not a troll ...

Do Trolls get threadworms? I thought they were silicaceous.

Glassworms, perhaps ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
geoff explained on 08/08/2012 :
In message , Dave
writes
Peter Crosland explained :
On 08/08/2012 19:29, Onetap wrote:
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
Also my

grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Threadw...roduction.aspx

Tells you more. Good hygiene is the crucial thing not the style of
WC you have.

But she said that she has various health issues that necessitate
inspection of her 'leavings'. The "grandson infecting with
threadworm" was just an added bit of info.

Assuming its not a troll ...

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that "Fenwoman" was a pseudonym for
Mary Fisher who used to post in here regularly?

Don't think so - she was a northerner

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/8/2012 5:53 PM, geoff wrote:
In message , Dave

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that "Fenwoman" was a pseudonym
for Mary Fisher who used to post in here regularly?

Don't think so - she was a northerner

Mary was sometimes 'Mary the Chandler' IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff brought next idea :
In message , Dave
writes
geoff explained on 08/08/2012 :
In message , Dave
writes
Peter Crosland explained :
On 08/08/2012 19:29, Onetap wrote:
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
Also my

grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Threadw...roduction.aspx

Tells you more. Good hygiene is the crucial thing not the style of WC
you have.

But she said that she has various health issues that necessitate
inspection of her 'leavings'. The "grandson infecting with threadworm"
was just an added bit of info.

Assuming its not a troll ...

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that "Fenwoman" was a pseudonym for Mary
Fisher who used to post in here regularly?

Don't think so - she was a northerner

Ah, right, sorry then ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:56:44 PM UTC+1, fred wrote:

Contrary to some other assertions I challenge anyone not to be aware

that they have a threadworm infection (paracitism?), it involves some

absolutely unignorable symptoms and any children in the family would be

wriggling like nobody's business from second one. Buying multiple family

packs of insert name of overpriced threadworm medicine here and dosing

every 8 hours prevents reoccurrence at least from the in-house source.

Probably, but the thing is that many people won't go and seek help about a raging itch in their anus and go around infected for months, years or decades, spreading it around.

You may have seen that TV advertising campaign aimed at middle-aged/ elderly people about bowel cancer. Same thing, they notice something different but won't go to see their GP about passing blood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:20:09 PM UTC+1, Tim Streater wrote:

Personally I find the whole concept disgusting.

It is/was a German thing, probably evolved from eating a lot of pork and inspecting the stools for signs of tapeworms;
less disgusting than tapeworms.

Certainly a major culture shock on first encountering one. Less os than the French squat crappers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 7:21:32 PM UTC+1, Onetap wrote:

The Flachspüler. Apparently they are less popular in Germany than formerly, but are available in some DIY stores there. Still popular in Austria, apparently.

Search for that word on E-Bay, selecting the European Union location option and see if anyone will deliver to the UK. Your chances of getting one without Postman Pat or the courier pulverising it are slim, IMHO.

PS Many of those being sold on E-bay.de are made by Ideal Standard. I thought they were a UK manufacturer, but may be wrong. Contact Ideal Standard through their UK website and ask if they can supply one to a local plumbers' merchant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 7:40:29 PM UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

I was warned about those while doing plumbing for an education authority.

Horrible bloody things, the worst arse itch you can get.

Apparently 25 to 35% of primary school children are infected and the eggs

are minute and easily ingested.

Well don't eat the children then!

Or ensure they are thoroughly cooked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 19:46:43 +0100 Mike Lane wrote :
In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying
not to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

Same here in Australia - though you can wash your hands in the separate
laundry: it doesn't seem to occur to Aussies that washing your hands after
using the loo and before touching door handles would be a good idea but they're
appalled by the idea of mixing dirty washing and food, thus every house has a
separate laundry (or in flats like mine, wm and laundry sink in the bathroom).

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote
Mike Lane wrote

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to
include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying
not to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

Same here in Australia

Nope, plenty, including mine, have a sink in the dunny,
tho often one that doesn't come out from the all all
that far and are only good for washing your hands.

- though you can wash your hands in the separate laundry: it
doesn't seem to occur to Aussies that washing your hands after using
the loo and before touching door handles would be a good idea

Bull**** it doesn't. Both of mine have a small basin in each dunny.

but they're appalled by the idea of mixing dirty washing and food,

That's just plain wrong too. Plenty of places like Canberra have
always allowed that and the washing machine in the kitchen is
very common there.

thus every house has a separate laundry

That's just plain wrong too.

(or in flats like mine, wm and laundry sink in the bathroom).

And that isnt just seen in flats either. It is how I did one
of my bathrooms in a full bigger than normal house.

You havent got a ****ing clue about how much of Australia does things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

I check the poo of all of my animals in order to ensure they are
parasite free and have no blood or anything in it, so why do humans not
do the same?

Because we have a thing about **** - we prefer to leave it out of
sight.

And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Andy Dingley wrote: .
In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a Japanese cistern
for my outside toilet, one of those with a washbasin built in. Any
ideas?

Get a Japanese toilet to go with it. One of those with the robot rectum
scrubber.

Do Japanese robots have rectums?

For verisimilitude I expect they do. Like when the Yanks all had
tailfins on their cars because they'd stopped believing in creationism
and knew we are all descended from fish.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, "Brian Gaff" writ:

Yes interesting this one. Not many medications applied up the bum in this
country, but go abroad and they are everywhere.

Brian

Is that because they can't keep them up there?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
wrote

I check the poo of all of my animals in order to
ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or
anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?

Because we have a thing about ****
- we prefer to leave it out of sight.

And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

The bowel cancer death rates aren't any lower in germany.

Visual inspection of turds is useless for detecting bowel cancer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fenwoman wrote:
I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my
plumber to install? I have various health problems which necessitate
checking my 'leavings' which is impossible with the UK type loo.

Before you go to all the trouble of sourcing and fitting a German loo,
perhaps you should think again about why you think it's "impossible" with a
UK style loo.

I'd agree that you can't admire a stinking pile of poo so easily in a UK
type loo but then you don't have to drop it in the water. A few sheets of
loo paper, a strategically placed hand, "squeeze" and Bob's your uncle. You
now have a portion of poo to examine as closely as you like and which can
then be dropped down the loo when you're finished.

Tim