Junior Member

Default German style toilets?

I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my plumber to install? I have various health problems which necessitate checking my 'leavings' which is impossible with the UK type loo. Also my grandson recently managed to infect me with threadworms. The chemists said "so are there worms in your stools?" to which I replied, "how the hell should I know. It drops and disappears under the water. Should I plunge my hand into the water to retrieve it?" Personally I think the German style is a must for people with children and those who are proactive about our health. Perhaps the UK's poor cure rates for things like bowel cancer comes because we cannot check our stools, meaning that by the time pain is noticed, the disease has progressed too far to cure. I check the poo of all of my animals in order to ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 10:28:33 +0000, fenwoman
wrote:

I check the poo of all of my animals in order to ensure they are
parasite free and have no blood or anything in it, so why do humans not
do the same?

Because we have a thing about **** - we prefer to leave it out of
sight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, "Brian Gaff" writ:

Yes interesting this one. Not many medications applied up the bum in this
country, but go abroad and they are everywhere.

Brian

Is that because they can't keep them up there?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 8:08*am, Percy wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, "Brian Gaff" writ:

Yes interesting this one. Not many medications applied up the bum in this
country, but go abroad and they are everywhere.

Brian

Is that because they can't keep them up there?

"They don't like it up 'em", said corporal Jones.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

I check the poo of all of my animals in order to ensure they are
parasite free and have no blood or anything in it, so why do humans not
do the same?

Because we have a thing about **** - we prefer to leave it out of
sight.

And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
wrote

I check the poo of all of my animals in order to
ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or
anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?

Because we have a thing about ****
- we prefer to leave it out of sight.

And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

The bowel cancer death rates aren't any lower in germany.

Visual inspection of turds is useless for detecting bowel cancer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 8:09*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
MM wrote

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
wrote
I check the poo of all of my animals in order to
ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or
anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?
Because we have a thing about ****
- we prefer to leave it out of sight.

And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

The bowel cancer death rates aren't any lower in germany.

Visual inspection of turds is useless for detecting bowel cancer.

It can however give visual clues to the posibility of bowel cancer or
other conditions.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote
Rod Speed wrote
MM wrote
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
wrote

I check the poo of all of my animals in order to
ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or
anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?

Because we have a thing about ****
- we prefer to leave it out of sight.

And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

The bowel cancer death rates aren't any lower in germany.

Visual inspection of turds is useless for detecting bowel cancer.

It can however give visual clues to the posibility of bowel cancer

Nope, when you can see anything in the turds, its MUCH too late.

There's a reason that bowel cancer screening
doesn't just tell you to look at your turds, stupid.

or other conditions.

Not fatal ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Man at B&Q scribeth thus
On Aug 9, 8:09*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
MM wrote

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
wrote
I check the poo of all of my animals in order to
ensure they are parasite free and have no blood or
anything in it, so why do humans not do the same?
Because we have a thing about ****
- we prefer to leave it out of sight.
And suffer an early death from bowel cancer...

The bowel cancer death rates aren't any lower in germany.

Visual inspection of turds is useless for detecting bowel cancer.

Umm .. beg to differ to the idiot post above....

It is useful for visible blood. Any blood in faeces is a warning sign of
something wrong. Sometimes if its bright red it can be simple piles AKA
Haemorrhoids, but a duller shade usually means its come from higher up
the digestive tract.

So any blood in faeces is a warning and should be checked out as soon as
possible especially if your male and over 50 or any history of bowel
cancer in your family..

Occult blood this is blood in faeces but not visible usually comes from
the same source. There is a simple test for this and screening programs
are available.

Oddly enough if it is bowel cancer and can be caught early enough it is
one of the simplest cancers to cure, just snip out the offender before
it has any chance to go anywhere and bobs yer whatsisname;!.

However once its spread it can be rather difficult to treat..

As for detection an Endoscopy is the gold standard test. This site has a
lot more info them most and its well worth a good look.

http://www.gihealth.com/

So next time your at the docs and are as said over 50 odd then ASK him
or her for a test..

There are some photos and videos of tests in progress.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fenwoman spake thus:

I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one.

Ah, you want one with a "continental shelf".

Can't help you with your question, but a while back there was a funny true
story (in FHM ISTR) about a guy in Germany, went to one of the public
toilets there that had an attendant. He did his business but despite
pulling the chain several times the flush didn't work and his deposit was
left proudly on display. Rather than disgust the next user he called the
attendant over. Not being able to speak German, he pointed to the
offending excrement and pulled the chain to show that it didn't work.
Except, of course, it did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:28:33 AM UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
[...]

Because it stinks.
It's why the Water Closet was invented !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 August 2012 11:28:33 UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one. Does anyone have any idea where I could buy one for my
plumber to install?

Not a clue, sorry. I've been looking for one for a couple of years, as a friend wants one installed. No luck so far. Several "bathroom stores" have given various lies along the lines of "they're illegal", "they won't fit the pipes" and (best of all) "you can't have one of those because of EU rules"..

I know one person who had one installed. They bought it whilst visiting family in Germany and drove it back. Maybe you can find a reasonable price for pallet shipping? That's quite a sensible business these days.

In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a Japanese cistern for my outside toilet, one of those with a washbasin built in. Any ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
..
In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a Japanese cistern for
my outside toilet, one of those with a washbasin built in. Any ideas?

Get a Japanese toilet to go with it. One of those with the robot rectum
scrubber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 17:45:00 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote: .
In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a Japanese cistern
for my outside toilet, one of those with a washbasin built in. Any
ideas?

Get a Japanese toilet to go with it. One of those with the robot rectum
scrubber.

Do Japanese robots have rectums?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Andy Dingley wrote: .
In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a Japanese cistern
for my outside toilet, one of those with a washbasin built in. Any
ideas?

Get a Japanese toilet to go with it. One of those with the robot rectum
scrubber.

Do Japanese robots have rectums?

For verisimilitude I expect they do. Like when the Yanks all had
tailfins on their cars because they'd stopped believing in creationism
and knew we are all descended from fish.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 8, 7:03*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:

Get a Japanese toilet to go with it. One of those with the robot rectum
scrubber.

Do Japanese robots have rectums?

I presume Bristol's SlugBot must do....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
In other toilet-related shopping, I'd like to get a
Japanese cistern for my outside toilet, one of those with
a washbasin built in. Any ideas?

If that's a washbasin as the top of the cistern, I saw one
in a Leroy Merlin (France I'm afraid) a few weeks ago

John

--
John Mulrooney

The world is full of willing people; some willing to work, the rest willing to let them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 8:52*am, JTM wrote:
If that's a washbasin as the top of the cistern, I saw one
in a Leroy Merlin (France I'm afraid) a few weeks ago

You mean the British now have to go to France to find decent plumbing?

The country really has gone to the dogs...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2012 08:52, JTM wrote:
If that's a washbasin as the top of the cistern, I saw one
in a Leroy Merlin (France I'm afraid) a few weeks ago

You didn't have to say it was France, it's always France.

Nowhere else in the developed world has squat toilets, urinals on the
outside, urinals placed so the ladies have to walk past them, or toilets
with lights that only stay on for 5 seconds...

.... and that's the ones I saw last week.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-09, Andy Champ wrote:

On 09/08/2012 08:52, JTM wrote:
If that's a washbasin as the top of the cistern, I saw one
in a Leroy Merlin (France I'm afraid) a few weeks ago

You didn't have to say it was France, it's always France.

Nowhere else in the developed world has squat toilets, urinals on the
outside, urinals placed so the ladies have to walk past them, or toilets
with lights that only stay on for 5 seconds...

... and that's the ones I saw last week.

The outdoor urinals have disappeared --- at least in Paris in recent
years (I think they were still around in 1990).

http://www.millerwalks.com/content/public-urinals
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-09, Andy Champ wrote:

On 09/08/2012 08:52, JTM wrote:
If that's a washbasin as the top of the cistern, I saw one
in a Leroy Merlin (France I'm afraid) a few weeks ago

You didn't have to say it was France, it's always France.

Nowhere else in the developed world has squat toilets, urinals on the
outside, urinals placed so the ladies have to walk past them, or toilets
with lights that only stay on for 5 seconds...

... and that's the ones I saw last week.

The outdoor urinals have disappeared --- at least in Paris in recent
years (I think they were still around in 1990).

http://www.millerwalks.com/content/public-urinals

Italy still has "all of the above" as does Belgium and Luxembourg.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-09, Andy Champ wrote:

On 09/08/2012 08:52, JTM wrote:
If that's a washbasin as the top of the cistern, I saw one
in a Leroy Merlin (France I'm afraid) a few weeks ago

You didn't have to say it was France, it's always France.

Nowhere else in the developed world has squat toilets, urinals on the
outside, urinals placed so the ladies have to walk past them, or toilets
with lights that only stay on for 5 seconds...

... and that's the ones I saw last week.

The outdoor urinals have disappeared --- at least in Paris in recent
years (I think they were still around in 1990).

http://www.millerwalks.com/content/public-urinals

And yet, ironically, they are appearing in London - eg just over the Strand
from Charing X Station
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-09, Andy Champ wrote:

On 09/08/2012 08:52, JTM wrote:
If that's a washbasin as the top of the cistern, I saw one
in a Leroy Merlin (France I'm afraid) a few weeks ago

You didn't have to say it was France, it's always France.

Nowhere else in the developed world has squat toilets, urinals on the
outside, urinals placed so the ladies have to walk past them, or toilets
with lights that only stay on for 5 seconds...

... and that's the ones I saw last week.

The outdoor urinals have disappeared --- at least in Paris in recent
years (I think they were still around in 1990).

I've certainly used urinals that were arranged on the outside of the
toilet block on a French campsite and used the urinals on a French ferry
while the female cleaner was working in there - all the French were, so
I gave a shrug (possibly Gallic) and just went ahead.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:18:26 PM UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

There is this one, but it's not cheap.
http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/B...nd-Basin-.html

There must be a less expensive DIY solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
[...]

See my previous reply. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 09:18:26 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Wednesday, 8 August 2012 11:28:33 UTC+1, fenwoman wrote:
I am fed up with the UK type toilet and would much prefer the German
style one.

I know one person who had one installed. They bought it whilst visiting family in Germany and drove it back.

That must have been a sight to behold, Left hand drive I presume.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fenwoman" wrote in message

[...]

Having spent over three years in Germany and got used to the their toilets.
The big problem is that due to the stools not going under the water, it
creates a terrible smell which lingers. It is almost enough to put me off
drinking for the duration. The part I do like is the separation of the
bathroom and the toilet into two separate rooms
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet into
two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying not
to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-08, Mike Lane wrote:

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet into
two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying not
to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

I'm not condoning saving soap this way (5th "pro"), but overall the
cartoon is funny:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/peeing_sitting_down
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012, "Adam Funk" writ:

On 2012-08-08, Mike Lane wrote:

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet into
two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to
include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying not
to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

I'm not condoning saving soap this way (5th "pro"), but overall the
cartoon is funny:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/peeing_sitting_down

Some of us with prostate conditions have to pee sitting down. Standing
at a urinal for 5 minutes and having the residue dribble down your
trousers is no fun.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-08, Mike Lane wrote:

Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet into
two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to
include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying not
to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

I'm not condoning saving soap this way (5th "pro"), but overall the
cartoon is funny:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/peeing_sitting_down

Some of us with prostate conditions have to pee sitting down. Standing
at a urinal for 5 minutes and having the residue dribble down your
trousers is no fun.

I'm sorry if that was offensive. I was just out to mock the idea that
people can get away without washing their hands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 19:46:43 +0100 Mike Lane wrote :
In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying
not to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

Same here in Australia - though you can wash your hands in the separate
laundry: it doesn't seem to occur to Aussies that washing your hands after
using the loo and before touching door handles would be a good idea but they're
appalled by the idea of mixing dirty washing and food, thus every house has a
separate laundry (or in flats like mine, wm and laundry sink in the bathroom).

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote
Mike Lane wrote

In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to
include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying
not to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

Same here in Australia

Nope, plenty, including mine, have a sink in the dunny,
tho often one that doesn't come out from the all all
that far and are only good for washing your hands.

- though you can wash your hands in the separate laundry: it
doesn't seem to occur to Aussies that washing your hands after using
the loo and before touching door handles would be a good idea

Bull**** it doesn't. Both of mine have a small basin in each dunny.

but they're appalled by the idea of mixing dirty washing and food,

That's just plain wrong too. Plenty of places like Canberra have
always allowed that and the washing machine in the kitchen is
very common there.

thus every house has a separate laundry

That's just plain wrong too.

(or in flats like mine, wm and laundry sink in the bathroom).

And that isnt just seen in flats either. It is how I did one
of my bathrooms in a full bigger than normal house.

You havent got a ****ing clue about how much of Australia does things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 10:06:08 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:
Nope, plenty, including mine, have a sink in the dunny, tho often one
that doesn't come out from the all all that far and are only good for
washing your hands.

Are you sure that you haven't been ****ing in the bath and washing your
hands in the bog?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

You havent got a ****ing clue about how much of Australia does things.

And yet you're an expert on Italy - despite never having been there.

Australia is easy to understand. It's a ****ing big beach full of failed
cockney criminals, liberally supplied with chip shops and the beer is
gnats' ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, "Tony Bryer" writ:

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 19:46:43 +0100 Mike Lane wrote :
In France they often do this, but unfortunately they often neglect to
include
any kind of washing facility in the separate loo. To me this negates the
advantage of separating them in the first place. If you use the loo while
someone else is in the bathroom, you still have to wait outside, trying
not to touch anything until you can get in to wash your hands.

Same here in Australia - though you can wash your hands in the separate
laundry: it doesn't seem to occur to Aussies that washing your hands after
using the loo and before touching door handles would be a good idea but
they're
appalled by the idea of mixing dirty washing and food, thus every house has a
separate laundry (or in flats like mine, wm and laundry sink in the bathroom).

On some cruise ships I have sailed on there is a sign by the door asking
one to turn the door handle with a paper towel and deposit it in the bin
outside. Only in the gent's though. Is this because men are notorious
for not washing their hands after a wiz?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 08:15:38 +0100, Percy wrote:

On some cruise ships I have sailed on there is a sign by the door asking
one to turn the door handle with a paper towel and deposit it in the bin
outside. Only in the gent's though. Is this because men are notorious
for not washing their hands after a wiz?

Yep; I can't answer for most other men, but from what I've seen,
British and Irish men are generally filthy, dirty *******s for that
kind of unthinking, careless, behaviour.
Total pigs, most of them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 8, 7:46*pm, Mike Lane wrote:
Roberts wrote on Aug 8, 2012:

The part I do like is the separation of the bathroom and the toilet into
two separate rooms
Robbie

In France they often do this,

Quite common in the UK at one time. Often get knocked into one room.

MBQ