Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I thiought the opening ceremony was meant to make you feel proud to be British

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 20:38:32 +0100, Pete Shew
wrote:

I differentiate sports and non-sports by whether competitors can be
compared without opinion. Clearly the first runner to arrive is the
winner, but how can you measure artistic impression? That excludes
diving, gymnastics, synchronised swimming, dressage, dancing, etc.

Good point.

Perhaps it simplifies to - sports can have records, non-sports can't.

Ok, so now we have started to make something sensible out of it. How
about the next thing being also taking out those things that don't
really seem to need any real physical strength or stamina, like
straight air rifle shooting. Don't get me wrong, I've had / tried air
rifle / target shooting and I'm not patient enough to be any good at
it (and I prefer my targets moving quickly g) but I can't remember
working up a sweat whilst doing it?

Lawn bowls (is that in there?), archery (because it's similar to air
rifle, especially with a compound bow) or anything that relies mainly
on kit (like sailing) and you can just do sitting down (I've sailed
all day in a 14' dinghy and I'm no athlete). ;-)

No pole vault or any other event where you can't all use / share the
same kit (so including horses etc).

So, as you say, whatever's left that you do with just your body and
it's obvious who the winner is

We can also rule out anything that already has it's own championship /
world cup, like tennis and football

Oh and all entrants must have a day job or at least a life outside
their 'sport'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many to imply
whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is Great.

Nope, hasn't been for a long time now.

Seems to have more appeal to you than your own country,

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

given the amount you post here.

I post a hell of a lot more elsewhere, stupid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Tad hard to quantify that last. Does getting ****ed down the pub qualify ?
Veging out in front of the TV ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 08:54:50 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Oh and all entrants must have a day job or at least a life outside their
'sport'. ;-)

Tad hard to quantify that last.

I thought that as I typed it. ;-)

Does getting ****ed down the pub qualify ?
Veging out in front of the TV ?

I think the answer to both could be 'yes'. As long as they aren't
doing the sport thing as a job, anything else is fine. And if you
*can* win some stuff with that sort of lifestyle then that might put
all of it in perspective. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 23:27:58 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Ignoring the scale of some of the effects (the chimneys, fiery rings
and the 'clever', kit_form cauldron) it could have been the local
drama college end of year show?

You must have a very large local drama college.

Hehe!

Mind you, I'm better you could get those sorts of numbers with a
flashmob theses days so ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2012 23:50, T i m wrote:
[SNIP]
Lawn bowls (is that in there?), archery (because it's similar
to air rifle, especially with a compound bow) or anything that relies
mainly on kit (like sailing) and you can just do sitting down (I've
sailed all day in a 14' dinghy and I'm no athlete). ;-)
[SNIP]
Cheers, T i m.

Cycling fits your non-sport criteria then.

I've sailed all day in boats large and small. I've also raced in
dinghies and 30' boats. There's a world of difference in the amount of
sweat you lose when racing - and how tired you are afterwards. Not much
sitting down either. A lot of sports rely on kit but still need training
and superb fitness to excel.

Rowing (boat,oars), orienteering (compass), formation skydiving (ok, you
don't need kit to do it, just to survive for the next round).

I presume that you would rule out performance enhancing clothing for
e.g. swimmers suit, running shoes.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 08:39:03 +0100, Pete Shew
wrote:

On 28/07/2012 23:50, T i m wrote:
[SNIP]
Lawn bowls (is that in there?), archery (because it's similar
to air rifle, especially with a compound bow) or anything that relies
mainly on kit (like sailing) and you can just do sitting down (I've
sailed all day in a 14' dinghy and I'm no athlete). ;-)
[SNIP]
Cheers, T i m.

Cycling fits your non-sport criteria then.

I've sailed all day in boats large and small. I've also raced in
dinghies and 30' boats. There's a world of difference in the amount of
sweat you lose when racing - and how tired you are afterwards.

Of course there can be but I'm guessing (no I'm not guessing as I've
done a fair bit of it) it depends on the wind. What I'm saying is you
don't *have* to be in peak physical form to be able to sail (and
potentially win). You do have to be in peak physical form to run 100m
fast.

Not much
sitting down either.

Depending on the wind. ;-)

A lot of sports rely on kit but still need training
and superb fitness to excel.

Of course, but if 'the kit' can play a part in the result and if it's
not the same kit use by all competitors then how can you guarantee you
are looking at the 'Worlds Greatest Pole-vaulter' or simply a good
pole-vaulter with a technologically advanced pole? The level of how
much impact the kit has to play ranges from none (say weightlifting)
to 'potentially all' with say air rifle shooting (based on the idea
that as long as it's pointing in the right direction, *anyone* with an
arm and a finger could get a gold).

Rowing (boat,oars),

Yup.

orienteering (compass),

Not so much assuming the compass actually worked. ;-)

formation skydiving

Yup. That's 'controlled falling' and whilst a great hobby, not an
Olympic sport.

(ok, you
don't need kit to do it, just to survive for the next round).

Hehe.

Instructor: "Right, you jump out of the plan and when you are 6' from
the ground, you pull the ripcord"

Trainee: "But what if the chute doesn't open?"

Instructor: "You can jump 6' can't you ... "

sorry

I presume that you would rule out performance enhancing clothing for
e.g. swimmers suit, running shoes.

Potentially yes. See, that's the whole point of high levels of
restriction with stuff like Laser sailing where *in theory*, all the
boats would (should) be identical. Then and only then should the
competition be equal. However, even with that, the weight of the
competitors V the wind on the day can have an impact. Whereas, with
say running, the weight of the competitor will be a constant.

I think it should all just go back to jumpers for goalposts. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many to imply
whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is Great.

Nope, hasn't been for a long time now.

Seems to have more appeal to you than your own country,

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

given the amount you post here.

I post a hell of a lot more elsewhere, stupid.

Then you need to get out more.

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:05:20 +0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/07/2012 08:23, Terry Fields wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

Oh stop whinging. Some bits were really rather good.
There few only a few bits that were cloyingly tacky saccharine.

+1

Tim

Having now had a chance to watch all of it in small chunks I think it
turned out better than the other half and myself expected,but a lot of
the time there was something about a lot of it that reminded me of
something. This Morning I remembered what it was, being taken to the
Royal Tournament as a youngster where such scene changes were a lot
less technical but still impressive at the time. Now the production
of that would almost certainly use some modern techniques and also be
fairly impressive so the Olympic opening ceremony for me is now like
the Royal Tournament on steroids. Having the King's Troop charge
around with horse drawn field Guns would probably not be in the
Olympic spirit, but given the wackiness of some of the presentation
perhaps they could have dressed up as Bennie Hill on horse drawn Milk
floats performing to the Tune of " The fastest Milkmen in the West"
while being chased by girls of the Beach Volleyball teams.
He is a cult figure in France so at least they would have got it.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 23:44:29 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 23:20:34 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

polygonum wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 21:06:38 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Nope, nothing united about that particular kingdom.

Corse there isn't anything great about it either.

The "Great" refers to the largest of the British Isles - a purely
geographic term which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many
to imply whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is
Great.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So great Britain is Scotland, England and Wales, plus possibly a few
more local islands like Orkney Shetlands and Isles of Wight and Man. Not
sure about the channel islands

Doesn't include the locval islands, apparently.

Agreed.

Wiki says this:

Great Britain (Welsh: Prydain Fawr, Scottish Gaelic: Breatainn Mhòr,
Cornish: Breten Veur, Scots: Great Breetain), also known as Britain, is an
island situated to the north-west of Continental Europe. It is the ninth
largest island in the world, the largest European island and the largest
of the British Isles. With a population of about 60.0 million people in
mid-2009, it is the third most populous island in the world, after Java
and Honshū. Great Britain is surrounded by over 1,000 smaller islands and
islets. The island of Ireland lies to its west. Politically, Great Britain
may also refer to the island itself together with a number of surrounding
islands which comprise the territory of England, Scotland and Wales

And, broadly, I agree.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many to imply
whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is Great.

Nope, hasn't been for a long time now.

Seems to have more appeal to you than your own country,

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

given the amount you post here.

I post a hell of a lot more elsewhere, stupid.

Then you need to get out more.

Get out a hell of a lot more than you do, stupid.

And even managed to noticed that diagnostics don’t produce
the result you claim is inevitable with computers too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote
Bob Eager wrote
[...]

Funny that. Hilarious, actually.

is an island situated to the north-west of Continental Europe. It is the
ninth largest island in the world, the largest European island and the
largest of the British Isles. With a population of about 60.0 million
people in mid-2009, it is the third most populous island in the world,
after Java and Honshū. Great Britain is surrounded by over 1,000 smaller
islands and islets. The island of Ireland lies to its west. Politically,
Great Britain may also refer to the island itself together with a number
of surrounding islands which comprise the territory of England, Scotland
and Wales

And, broadly, I agree.

Nothing like your original tho. And the word Britain without
the posturing Great works just as well anyway. And that
soggy little island hasnt been great for a long time now.

Once Great Britain, possibly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , damduck-
scribeth thus
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Interesting that a few people we know elsewhere in the world have all
been in touch and commented that it was an excellent production
especially the French contingent who really understand Mr Bean;!)...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:02:22 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

polygonum wrote
Bob Eager wrote
[...]

Very like my original.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:02:22 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

polygonum wrote
Bob Eager wrote
[...]

Everyone can see for themselves that you are lying, again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , damduck-
scribeth thus
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Best thing about it - totally EU free.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:23:06 AM UTC+1, Terry Fields wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote: Instead of cringingly ashamed.. It appeared to be the history of a country that was agrarian, then industrial. Germany undertook much property redevelopment at one point. Then an event called the Empire Windrush happened and now the population's changed from all white to majority black, or so it would seem. Popular music is now the economic powerhouse. The NHS and Great Ormond Street Hospital appeared to have something to do with the transition though it's unclear what their role was. Some winged bicycles appeared, and an old bloke sang an old song. The great and the good spoke, then it all sort of fizzled out. Terry Field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

Shame, shame, shame, I missed it

An unavoidable need to be in germany

.... did I miss anything ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes

Right, I'm going to cycle down the shops and get enough beer to knock
me out for 16 days ... ;-)

I'd forgotten how much a pack of 20 Becks weighs. Don't normally take
the car to the Co Op

BECKS ??????

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

Shame, shame, shame, I missed it

An unavoidable need to be in germany

... did I miss anything ?

I dunno. I gave up after about 5 minutes, checked back shortly
afterwards to see a nursery school dancing in lampshades and singing out
of tune and switched back to NCIS

If all there is is trash, at least make it well produces relaxing sort
of trash.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

Shame, shame, shame, I missed it

An unavoidable need to be in germany

... did I miss anything ?

Nothing special, but it's up on iPlayer until Friday, with the option of
watching the version without the inane commentary.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I dunno. I gave up after about 5 minutes, checked back shortly
afterwards to see a nursery school dancing in lampshades and singing out
of tune and switched back to NCIS

So you call a program rubbish after just watching a tiny part of it?
I could understand that from a teenager.

--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I dunno. I gave up after about 5 minutes, checked back shortly
afterwards to see a nursery school dancing in lampshades and singing out
of tune and switched back to NCIS

So you call a program rubbish after just watching a tiny part of it?
I could understand that from a teenager.

I just said it made me feel ashamed to be British.

The part I watched did, enough to not want to suffer any more.

The part I did watch was rubbish as far as I am concerned. You may like
digesting other peoples diarrhoea, but that's up to you.
..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:40:44 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

The real cringy bit was Mohamed Ali supposedly leading the olympic flag

bearers, he didn't appear to know who he is, let alone where he was,

fair enough he's got problems, but don't "wheel" him out like that ...

I felt the same way aboutb Paul Mcartney ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2012 11:52, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:40:44 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

The real cringy bit was Mohamed Ali supposedly leading the olympic flag

bearers, he didn't appear to know who he is, let alone where he was,

fair enough he's got problems, but don't "wheel" him out like that ...

I felt the same way aboutb Paul Mcartney ....

And where was Brucey? I guess he wouldn't do a gig for free

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , damduck-
scribeth thus
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
wrote:

Nope, nothing united about that particular kingdom.

Corse there isn't anything great about it either.

The "Great" refers to the largest of the British Isles - a purely
geographic term which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many
to imply whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is
Great.

I thought it came from the distinction between Great Britain and Britony
(lesser briton)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 22:14:27 +0100, geoff wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

I don't have a TV set and until the other day didn't know anything
about some sports day or other in London.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , geoff
wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

Oh poor you!

Iv may have watched some of it. I watched some horses galloping around
jumping things. That was interesting for almost 20 minutes hoping one
would fall over.

The SWMBO got all excited when a couple of sweaty girls rowed a boat
across a line at a different time to a lot of other sweaty girls.

But that's it really.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 22:14:27 +0100, geoff wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

I don't have a TV set and until the other day didn't know anything
about some sports day or other in London.

Come off it - didn't teacher tell you to whitewash your plimsolls?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 22:14:27 +0100, geoff wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

I don't have a TV set and until the other day didn't know anything
about some sports day or other in London.

Blimey, the corner of your lounge must look bare.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 22:14:27 +0100, geoff wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

I don't have a TV set and until the other day didn't know anything
about some sports day or other in London.

Blimey, the corner of your lounge must look bare.

A TV in the corner looks old fashioned. Wall mounted only or nothing at all.
I chose the second option.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
brass monkey wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 22:14:27 +0100, geoff wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

I don't have a TV set and until the other day didn't know anything
about some sports day or other in London.

Blimey, the corner of your lounge must look bare.

A TV in the corner looks old fashioned. Wall mounted only or nothing at
all. I chose the second option.

Hey, I AM old fashioned

--
....and still have change from a farthing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 19:10:22 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 22:14:27 +0100, geoff wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

I don't have a TV set and until the other day didn't know anything
about some sports day or other in London.

Come off it - didn't teacher tell you to whitewash your plimsolls?

Blanco seems spring to mind, but a Goolie search just brings up
kitchen sinks 'n' things.
..
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 19:27:34 +0100, "brass monkey" wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 22:14:27 +0100, geoff wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

I don't have a TV set and until the other day didn't know anything
about some sports day or other in London.

Blimey, the corner of your lounge must look bare.

No - there's a wooden ("1+3") telephone switchboard there, surmounted
by a BT Homehub 3.

Oh - and a GPO flameproof telephone on the floor there - it's been
there for at least a decade.
--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 19:10:22 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 22:14:27 +0100, geoff wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

I don't have a TV set and until the other day didn't know anything
about some sports day or other in London.

Come off it - didn't teacher tell you to whitewash your plimsolls?

Blanco seems spring to mind, but a Goolie search just brings up
kitchen sinks 'n' things.
.

Ah that was it - in a glass bottle with a captive sponge in the lid

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 22:58:29 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 19:10:22 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 22:14:27 +0100, geoff wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

I don't have a TV set and until the other day didn't know anything
about some sports day or other in London.

Come off it - didn't teacher tell you to whitewash your plimsolls?

Blanco seems spring to mind, but a Goolie search just brings up kitchen
sinks 'n' things.
.

Try harder.

http://www.blancoandbull.com/blanco-.../blanco-white/

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I thought the opening ceremony was meant to make you feel proud

in 1150024 20120802 085122 The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , geoff
wrote:

I was in Germany and managed to miss it completely

Oh poor you!

Iv may have watched some of it. I watched some horses galloping around
jumping things. That was interesting for almost 20 minutes hoping one
would fall over.

The SWMBO got all excited when a couple of sweaty girls rowed a boat
across a line at a different time to a lot of other sweaty girls.

One of you is normal then? ;-)