Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default I thiought the opening ceremony was meant to make you feel proud to be British

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 20:38:32 +0100, Pete Shew
wrote:

I differentiate sports and non-sports by whether competitors can be
compared without opinion. Clearly the first runner to arrive is the
winner, but how can you measure artistic impression? That excludes
diving, gymnastics, synchronised swimming, dressage, dancing, etc.

Good point.

Perhaps it simplifies to - sports can have records, non-sports can't.

Ok, so now we have started to make something sensible out of it. How
about the next thing being also taking out those things that don't
really seem to need any real physical strength or stamina, like
straight air rifle shooting. Don't get me wrong, I've had / tried air
rifle / target shooting and I'm not patient enough to be any good at
it (and I prefer my targets moving quickly g) but I can't remember
working up a sweat whilst doing it?

Lawn bowls (is that in there?), archery (because it's similar to air
rifle, especially with a compound bow) or anything that relies mainly
on kit (like sailing) and you can just do sitting down (I've sailed
all day in a 14' dinghy and I'm no athlete). ;-)

No pole vault or any other event where you can't all use / share the
same kit (so including horses etc).

So, as you say, whatever's left that you do with just your body and
it's obvious who the winner is

We can also rule out anything that already has it's own championship /
world cup, like tennis and football

Oh and all entrants must have a day job or at least a life outside
their 'sport'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m.