Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default I thiought the opening ceremony was meant to make you feel proud to be British

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 08:39:03 +0100, Pete Shew
wrote:

On 28/07/2012 23:50, T i m wrote:
[SNIP]
Lawn bowls (is that in there?), archery (because it's similar
to air rifle, especially with a compound bow) or anything that relies
mainly on kit (like sailing) and you can just do sitting down (I've
sailed all day in a 14' dinghy and I'm no athlete). ;-)
[SNIP]
Cheers, T i m.

Cycling fits your non-sport criteria then.

I've sailed all day in boats large and small. I've also raced in
dinghies and 30' boats. There's a world of difference in the amount of
sweat you lose when racing - and how tired you are afterwards.

Of course there can be but I'm guessing (no I'm not guessing as I've
done a fair bit of it) it depends on the wind. What I'm saying is you
don't *have* to be in peak physical form to be able to sail (and
potentially win). You do have to be in peak physical form to run 100m
fast.

Not much
sitting down either.

Depending on the wind. ;-)

A lot of sports rely on kit but still need training
and superb fitness to excel.

Of course, but if 'the kit' can play a part in the result and if it's
not the same kit use by all competitors then how can you guarantee you
are looking at the 'Worlds Greatest Pole-vaulter' or simply a good
pole-vaulter with a technologically advanced pole? The level of how
much impact the kit has to play ranges from none (say weightlifting)
to 'potentially all' with say air rifle shooting (based on the idea
that as long as it's pointing in the right direction, *anyone* with an
arm and a finger could get a gold).

Rowing (boat,oars),

Yup.

orienteering (compass),

Not so much assuming the compass actually worked. ;-)

formation skydiving

Yup. That's 'controlled falling' and whilst a great hobby, not an
Olympic sport.

(ok, you
don't need kit to do it, just to survive for the next round).

Hehe.

Instructor: "Right, you jump out of the plan and when you are 6' from
the ground, you pull the ripcord"

Trainee: "But what if the chute doesn't open?"

Instructor: "You can jump 6' can't you ... "

sorry

I presume that you would rule out performance enhancing clothing for
e.g. swimmers suit, running shoes.

Potentially yes. See, that's the whole point of high levels of
restriction with stuff like Laser sailing where *in theory*, all the
boats would (should) be identical. Then and only then should the
competition be equal. However, even with that, the weight of the
competitors V the wind on the day can have an impact. Whereas, with
say running, the weight of the competitor will be a constant.

I think it should all just go back to jumpers for goalposts. ;-)

Cheers, T i m