Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default I thiought the opening ceremony was meant to make you feel proud to be British

In article , damduck-
scribeth thus
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:05:20 +0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/07/2012 08:23, Terry Fields wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

Oh stop whinging. Some bits were really rather good.
There few only a few bits that were cloyingly tacky saccharine.

+1

Tim

Having now had a chance to watch all of it in small chunks I think it
turned out better than the other half and myself expected,but a lot of
the time there was something about a lot of it that reminded me of
something. This Morning I remembered what it was, being taken to the
Royal Tournament as a youngster where such scene changes were a lot
less technical but still impressive at the time. Now the production
of that would almost certainly use some modern techniques and also be
fairly impressive so the Olympic opening ceremony for me is now like
the Royal Tournament on steroids. Having the King's Troop charge
around with horse drawn field Guns would probably not be in the
Olympic spirit, but given the wackiness of some of the presentation
perhaps they could have dressed up as Bennie Hill on horse drawn Milk
floats performing to the Tune of " The fastest Milkmen in the West"
while being chased by girls of the Beach Volleyball teams.
He is a cult figure in France so at least they would have got it.

G.Harman

Interesting that a few people we know elsewhere in the world have all
been in touch and commented that it was an excellent production
especially the French contingent who really understand Mr Bean;!)...

--
Tony Sayer