Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I thiought the opening ceremony was meant to make you feel proudto be British

On Saturday, 28 July 2012 12:05:04 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
I seriously thought that Doctor Who was going to descend in his Tardis

Didn't you hear it whoosh past at one point?

I liked it. Not a fan of the Olympics at all, but Danny Boyle did us proud with this show.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2012 12:18, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Saturday, 28 July 2012 12:05:04 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
I seriously thought that Doctor Who was going to descend in his Tardis

Didn't you hear it whoosh past at one point?

I liked it. Not a fan of the Olympics at all, but Danny Boyle did us proud with this show.

Everything's a bloody show these days. Since when did putting on a show
solve anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2012 10:28, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 10:08:34 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Right, I'm going to cycle down the shops and get enough beer to knock
me out for 16 days ... ;-)

I'd forgotten how much a pack of 20 Becks weighs. Don't normally take
the car to the Co Op

;-)

I think with my total lack of appreciation of 'sport' as anything
other than something people do for fun (not money, and certainly not
as 'a living'), it's going to have to be Special Brew for me as a
solution to this particular problem. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Ah, Easy Start. I've seen your sort in the park :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2012 12:05, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Jethro_uk
scribeth thus
On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 23:25:21 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 23:11:45 +0100, Tim+
wrote:

Opening ceremony? Have I missed something?

History.

Nazi salutes and everything.

You noticed that too ?

I hardly did .. my daughters did and it was well twittered about;!..

Wasn't it the wrong arm to ba Nazi salute?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:32:27 +0100, SteveW
wrote:

History.

Nazi salutes and everything.

You noticed that too ?

I hardly did .. my daughters did and it was well twittered about;!..

Wasn't it the wrong arm to ba Nazi salute?

Nazi Lite.
He was probably a lefty Nazi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:31:50 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

I think with my total lack of appreciation of 'sport' as anything
other than something people do for fun (not money, and certainly not
as 'a living'), it's going to have to be Special Brew for me as a
solution to this particular problem. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Ah, Easy Start. I've seen your sort in the park :-)

The Aussie version - Drunk, Ya *******.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Right, I'm going to cycle down the shops and get enough beer to knock
me out for 16 days ... ;-)

I'd forgotten how much a pack of 20 Becks weighs. Don't normally take
the car to the Co Op

;-)

I think with my total lack of appreciation of 'sport' as anything
other than something people do for fun (not money, and certainly not
as 'a living'), it's going to have to be Special Brew for me as a
solution to this particular problem. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Ah, Easy Start. I've seen your sort in the park :-)

Probably wiv me mates, Slasher, Dogga, Stinky, Trumper and Dave?

I have three sorts of preference.

2% - 4_for_a_quid to make a change from cordial or plain water.

4-6% If I fancy a sociable drink or where I actually want to taste
something.

8-11% If I want to forget my troubles or get to sleep because of bad
tinnitus.

It also only took one or two cans of the latter before the Mrs looked
'attractive' and that worked ok. Now it's a very fine line between
having enough to drink to be up for the challenge and being able to be
up for the challenge / not passing out. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim
Streater scribeth thus

wrote:

Right, I'm going to cycle down the shops and get enough beer to knock
me out for 16 days ... ;-)

I'd forgotten how much a pack of 20 Becks weighs. Don't normally take
the car to the Co Op

;-)

I think with my total lack of appreciation of 'sport' as anything
other than something people do for fun (not money, and certainly not
as 'a living'), it's going to have to be Special Brew for me as a
solution to this particular problem. ;-(

I'm well with you on this one, T i m. Although I did end up watching
the show and it was amusing in parts. Anyone know why so many of them
felt they had to put their faces 1cm away from the camera and yell?

Because /.. well because they could I suppose .. and after all its not
everyone who can do that, gets to do that, and it'll be a long time
before you can do it again;!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

You appear to be one of a tiny minority.

Perhaps you wanted something boringly conventional? So not a philosopher
at all?

I found it a refreshingly novel approach to such things - and all the more
so in that it was mainly performed by amateurs. Who appeared to be
enjoying every minute of it. Worth it for that alone.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 08:23:06 +0100, Terry Fields wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

It appeared to be the history of a country that was agrarian, then
industrial. Germany undertook much property redevelopment at one
point. Then an event called the Empire Windrush happened and now the
population's changed from all white to majority black, or so it would
seem. Popular music is now the economic powerhouse. The NHS and Great
Ormond Street Hospital appeared to have something to do with the
transition though it's unclear what their role was. Some winged
bicycles appeared, and an old bloke sang an old song. The great and
the good spoke, then it all sort of fizzled out.

Terry Fields

I watched (and recorded) it until dear old Paul seemed to get stuck in a
groove, then went to bed. I did wonder if Paul had had gender reassignment
and gone Gaga.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

You appear to be one of a tiny minority.

Ah, the old BBC/Big Brother trick. You weren't impressed so you're in a
tiny minority.
I personally don't know a single person who gives a toss about The
Olympics, so I guess they're all in this tiny minority of yours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2012 08:23, Terry Fields wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

Oh stop whinging. Some bits were really rather good.
There few only a few bits that were cloyingly tacky saccharine.

It appeared to be the history of a country that was agrarian, then

We missed the Bo Peep part due to being late back home.

industrial. Germany undertook much property redevelopment at one
point. Then an event called the Empire Windrush happened and now the
population's changed from all white to majority black, or so it would
seem. Popular music is now the economic powerhouse.

Certainly one of them. IKB was quite fun as were the rising chimneys.
Reminded me of an abbreviated version of Lord of the Rings.

The NHS and Great
Ormond Street Hospital appeared to have something to do with the
transition though it's unclear what their role was. Some winged

Perhaps they were there just to rub Mitt Romney's nose in it again.

bicycles appeared, and an old bloke sang an old song. The great and
the good spoke, then it all sort of fizzled out.

Terry Fields

I thought the queen being in a spoof James Bond video and "arriving" by
skydiving from a helicopter was excellent and Mr Bean on keyboards for
the performance of "Chariots of Fire" were about the best bits.

The pyrotechnics, lighting and Olympic torch was very impressive too.

They could never have topped Chinese style massed dancers or fireworks
but what they did worked very well for the most part.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I thought that the Mr Bean sequencer was an insult to Simon Rattle & the
LSo. After all THEY had been announced.

The pyrotechnics, lighting and Olympic torch was very impressive too.

yes.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

I thought that the Mr Bean sequencer was an insult to Simon Rattle & the
LSo. After all THEY had been announced.

The tilt up to reveal Rowan Atkinson got a laugh here, they should have
left it at that rather than continuing with the coughing/sneezing routine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2012 12:18, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Saturday, 28 July 2012 12:05:04 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
I seriously thought that Doctor Who was going to descend in his Tardis

Didn't you hear it whoosh past at one point?

I liked it. Not a fan of the Olympics at all, but Danny Boyle did us proud with this show.

+1 on both counts

I'd be interested to hear how the killjoys think it should have been
done (other than 'not at all'; given that the Olympics are happening,
like it or not)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

You appear to be one of a tiny minority.

Ah, the old BBC/Big Brother trick. You weren't impressed so you're in a
tiny minority.

Not at all. Just judging by what the press etc said.

I personally don't know a single person who gives a toss about The
Olympics, so I guess they're all in this tiny minority of yours.

If someone doesn't give a toss about it, why would they watch all 3 hours
of it?

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:00:22 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

You appear to be one of a tiny minority.

Ah, the old BBC/Big Brother trick. You weren't impressed so you're in a
tiny minority.

Not at all. Just judging by what the press etc said.

I personally don't know a single person who gives a toss about The
Olympics, so I guess they're all in this tiny minority of yours.

If someone doesn't give a toss about it, why would they watch all 3
hours of it?

Indeed. In fact, it was nearly 4 hours in the end!

I'm not interested in the sport but it looked as if it was going to be a
good show - it was. I went off and did something else while the athletes'
parade was on, and came back just in time for the GB team.

(incidentally, shouldn't it be 'Team UK'..?)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:23:10 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

I watched (and recorded) it until dear old Paul seemed to get stuck in a
groove, then went to bed. I did wonder if Paul had had gender
reassignment
and gone Gaga.

I couldn't help thinking that Paul Mac was looking awfully like Ken Dodd.

Separated at birth...?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The finest line is the one that between getting ****ed and telling them that
you love them.

You don't want to cross that line.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2012 17:51, Bob Eager wrote:

(incidentally, shouldn't it be 'Team UK'..?)

Isn't it to do with the country codes the athletes wear (ie, we're stuck
with GBR whatever we call ourselves)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

You appear to be one of a tiny minority.

Ah, the old BBC/Big Brother trick. You weren't impressed so you're in a
tiny minority.

Not at all. Just judging by what the press etc said.

I personally don't know a single person who gives a toss about The
Olympics, so I guess they're all in this tiny minority of yours.

If someone doesn't give a toss about it, why would they watch all 3 hours
of it?

Can't say I'm that interested in sport at all but this was a one off
occasion which won't be repeated here least in our lifetimes again;!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

You appear to be one of a tiny minority.

Ah, the old BBC/Big Brother trick. You weren't impressed so you're in a
tiny minority.

Not at all. Just judging by what the press etc said.

No opposition to Big Brother is permitted at this time
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I watched (and recorded) it until dear old Paul seemed to get stuck in a
groove, then went to bed. I did wonder if Paul had had gender
reassignment
and gone Gaga.

I couldn't help thinking that Paul Mac was looking awfully like Ken Dodd.

Separated at birth...?

And Christ that is one dreary song. It was bad at the time and it hasn't
improved with age

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:09:28 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

It also only took one or two cans of the latter before the Mrs looked
'attractive' and that worked ok. Now it's a very fine line between
having enough to drink to be up for the challenge and being able to be
up for the challenge / not passing out. ;-)

The finest line is the one that between getting ****ed and telling them that
you love them.

Ok ...

You don't want to cross that line.

Damn right and not after 25 years especially!

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I watched (and recorded) it until dear old Paul seemed to get stuck in a
groove, then went to bed. I did wonder if Paul had had gender
reassignment and gone Gaga.

I couldn't help thinking that Paul Mac was looking awfully like Ken Dodd.

Separated at birth...?

And Christ that is one dreary song. It was bad at the time and it hasn't
improved with age

What was the relevance of it? And Come Together?

Come Together - because it includes the lyric "He got monkey finger, he
shoot Coca-Cola", with the latter words spoken particularly clearly?

Surely not...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote
Andy Dingley wrote
tony sayer wrote

I seriously thought that Doctor Who was going to descend in his Tardis

Didn't you hear it whoosh past at one point?

I liked it. Not a fan of the Olympics at all, but Danny Boyle did us
proud with this show.

Everything's a bloody show these days. Since when did putting on a show
solve anything?

It wasn't meant to solve anything, just provide a bit of entertainment.

Whether it did that or not is another matter entirely, quite apart from
what it cost to attempt to do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:03:49 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

Right, I'm going to cycle down the shops and get enough beer to knock
me out for 16 days ... ;-)

I'd forgotten how much a pack of 20 Becks weighs. Don't normally take
the car to the Co Op

;-)

I think with my total lack of appreciation of 'sport' as anything
other than something people do for fun (not money, and certainly not
as 'a living'), it's going to have to be Special Brew for me as a
solution to this particular problem. ;-(

I'm well with you on this one, T i m.

I wonder what differentiated us from those clambering for tickets to
such things?

I do sometimes think it is me that has 'missed' the point of it all,
so many people appearing to go along with it etc. I mean, if I was sat
somewhere and people were playing say tennis ... and they were well
matched / skillful then I might watch them rather than just staring at
the horizon but actually going to watch, nah. Now, if they left the
course and the bats were free_for_all I'd happily play ... it's a fun
game if you have an appropriate partner. But that's the point,
it's_a_game and only a good game if your matched well with your fellow
players.

Although I did end up watching
the show and it was amusing in parts.

I watched most of it to see if the penny would drop.

Anyone know why so many of them
felt they had to put their faces 1cm away from the camera and yell?

As Tony says I think 'because they can' for one and because they must
believe such behaviour is appropriate for them and in such an
occasion. Or maybe they just don't think, just run / jump / lift?

I also think there are 'sports' and 'activities'. Sports are the
running, swimming, hop, skip and jump type things but shooting,
archery and sailing? They have got to be hobbies haven't they?

I mean, back in the day, if you had a bow and arrow you could go out
and get your own lunch. You could also defend your castle and from
that I can see how the archers might have 'competitions' as part of
their training for that 'job' (or responsibility / obligation) to see
who was best or even up to the job?

But when did someone think to pay an archer to let them watch them
doing their job? And further, when did someone think someone might
want to pay them for doing their hobby?!

OK, I know the answer to that in the real world is that if you want to
show off / demonstrate your workers were better than the next castles
workers you might want to buy / bribe across their best archers to
represent your side but now we definitely are in 'business' not
'sport'.

Oh well, as long as it keeps (most of them) off the streets and if it
doesn't, you don't live near those streets ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

I watched (and recorded) it until dear old Paul seemed to get stuck in a
groove, then went to bed. I did wonder if Paul had had gender
reassignment
and gone Gaga.

I couldn't help thinking that Paul Mac was looking awfully like Ken Dodd.

I said exactly the same thing to the wife.

Separated at birth...?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:53:13 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

snip

They could never have topped Chinese style massed dancers or fireworks
but what they did worked very well for the most part.

But I think that's partly the point. Whilst I liked the idea (and some
of the effects) of the 'show' of the opening ceremony (ceremony?)
telling a story I'm not sure how many people would get it ... or be
properly entertained by it when in the actual audience? I mean, is
this the stadium that some say is too big for football?

Now, we know the 'Chinese style' where thousands can act as one suits
their culture and a less polished and seeming disjointed process seems
to suit us, I'm not sure the latter works as well when seem from a
distance (or when it might take a bit of understanding / following)?

10 out of 10 from trying to pull it off of course and I'm sure
everyone did their best but 'ceremony' or 'spectacle ... ?

Ignoring the scale of some of the effects (the chimneys, fiery rings
and the 'clever', kit_form cauldron) it could have been the local
drama college end of year show?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2012 19:45, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:03:49 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I differentiate sports and non-sports by whether competitors can be
compared without opinion. Clearly the first runner to arrive is the
winner, but how can you measure artistic impression? That excludes
diving, gymnastics, synchronised swimming, dressage, dancing, etc.

Perhaps it simplifies to - sports can have records, non-sports can't.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead of cringingly ashamed..

You appear to be one of a tiny minority.

Ah, the old BBC/Big Brother trick. You weren't impressed so you're in a
tiny minority.

Not at all. Just judging by what the press etc said.

I personally don't know a single person who gives a toss about The
Olympics, so I guess they're all in this tiny minority of yours.

If someone doesn't give a toss about it, why would they watch all 3
hours of it?

Indeed. In fact, it was nearly 4 hours in the end!

I'm not interested in the sport but it looked as if it was going to be a
good show - it was. I went off and did something else while the athletes'
parade was on, and came back just in time for the GB team.

(incidentally, shouldn't it be 'Team UK'..?)

Nope, nothing united about that particular kingdom.

Corse there isn't anything great about it either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 21:06:38 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Nope, nothing united about that particular kingdom.

Corse there isn't anything great about it either.

The "Great" refers to the largest of the British Isles - a purely
geographic term which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many to
imply whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is Great.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nope, nothing united about that particular kingdom.

Corse there isn't anything great about it either.

The "Great" refers to the largest of the British Isles - a purely
geographic term which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many to
imply whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is Great.

no - it's Great B as opposed to Little B - which is tacked onto the west of
France

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Bob Eager wrote

I'm not interested in the sport but it looked as if it was going to be
a good show - it was. I went off and did something else while the
athletes' parade was on, and came back just in time for the GB team.

(incidentally, shouldn't it be 'Team UK'..?)

Nope, nothing united about that particular kingdom.

Corse there isn't anything great about it either.

The "Great" refers to the largest of the British Isles

Nope, britain alone refers to that too.

- a purely geographic term

But not in the sense you claim it.

which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many to imply
whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is Great.

Nope, hasn't been for a long time now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nope, nothing united about that particular kingdom.

Corse there isn't anything great about it either.

The "Great" refers to the largest of the British Isles - a purely
geographic term which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many to
imply whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is Great.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So great Britain is Scotland, England and Wales, plus possibly a few
more local islands like Orkney Shetlands and Isles of Wight and Man. Not
sure about the channel islands

The British Isles includes Ireland IIRC. But not IIRC the channel islands

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Ignoring the scale of some of the effects (the chimneys, fiery rings
and the 'clever', kit_form cauldron) it could have been the local
drama college end of year show?

You must have a very large local drama college.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many to imply
whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is Great.

Nope, hasn't been for a long time now.

Seems to have more appeal to you than your own country, given the amount
you post here.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nope, nothing united about that particular kingdom.

Corse there isn't anything great about it either.

The "Great" refers to the largest of the British Isles - a purely
geographic term which has been manipulated and misinterpreted by many
to imply whatever they have wanted from time to time. So yes, it is
Great.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So great Britain is Scotland, England and Wales, plus possibly a few
more local islands like Orkney Shetlands and Isles of Wight and Man. Not
sure about the channel islands

Doesn't include the locval islands, apparently.