Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal plate for securing round post to flat patio slabs

I'm looking for a neat way of screwing down a series of round wooden posts
(probably 90mm diameter, though that could be changed) onto a flat patio. I
know that Metposts make a square securing gizmo (hollow tube and flat base
plate) but as far as I can see neither they nor anyone else do the same
thing in a circular fitting.

Does anyone know of something suitable? Many thanks.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2012 17:30, Bert Coules wrote:
I'm looking for a neat way of screwing down a series of round wooden
posts (probably 90mm diameter, though that could be changed) onto a flat
patio. I know that Metposts make a square securing gizmo (hollow tube
and flat base plate) but as far as I can see neither they nor anyone
else do the same thing in a circular fitting.

Does anyone know of something suitable? Many thanks.

Bert

Scaffold tubes have 'feet' to protect the ground, may be you could
modify something like that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Scaffold tubes have 'feet' to protect the ground...

Nice idea, thanks.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:30:08 +0100, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

I'm looking for a neat way of screwing down a series of round wooden posts
(probably 90mm diameter, though that could be changed) onto a flat patio. I
know that Metposts make a square securing gizmo (hollow tube and flat base
plate) but as far as I can see neither they nor anyone else do the same
thing in a circular fitting.

Does anyone know of something suitable? Many thanks.

Bollards, I have seen such a thing holding up removable bollard
posts. A quick google finds something like this pictured near bottom
of page.
http://www.barricade-ltd.com/Product...-bollards.html

I expect there are others. Another search term would be court sockets
as some tennis nets are supported by something similar.
Can't see any being as cheap as the ordinary metpost type though.
Sometimes it is just as inexpensive to go to a small fabrication shop
of the type that is found on industrial estates everywhere and get
them to make someting to your exact spec, especially for a relatively
simple item such as what you want.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

G Harman wrote:

Bollards.

Thanks for the link. That short round fitting is exactly what I had in
mind.

Can't see any being as cheap as the ordinary metpost type though.
Sometimes it is just as inexpensive to go to a small fabrication shop...

Yes, that's something that's occured to me.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 8:08*pm, "Bert Coules" wrote:
G Harman wrote:
Bollards.

Thanks for the link. *That short round fitting is exactly what I had in
mind.

Can't see any being as cheap as the ordinary metpost type though.
Sometimes it is just as inexpensive to go to a small fabrication shop....

Yes, that's something that's occured to me.

Bert

It might be cheaper to sink 4 ss threaded rods into the slab and put
the post onto them, fixed all round with resin.

A welder would make producing the brackets easy.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:37:42 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 14/06/2012 17:30, Bert Coules wrote:

Scaffold tubes have 'feet' to protect the ground, may be you could
modify something like that?

Kee-Klamps, like scaffold tube fittings, but available in smaller tube sizes as well.
Drilling a paving slab will probably cause it to crack. ISTR that various roof edge-protection schemes on flat roofs had the tube fitting secured into a concrete block that rested on a paving slab.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap wrote:

Kee-Klamps...

Thanks for that. I've found them online at
http://keesafety.co.uk/products/kee_klamp .

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

It might be cheaper to sink 4 ss threaded rods into the slab and put
the post onto them, fixed all round with resin.

Searching around, that does seem to be a recommended method; thanks.

I'm grateful to you and everyone else who answered.

Bert

Re-pointing Between Patio Slabs Ed[_7_] UK diy 19 February 25th 20 05:10 PM
Which Patio Slabs Jo[_5_] UK diy 2 February 8th 11 08:13 PM
Re-pointing patio slabs Broadback UK diy 10 November 12th 08 09:26 PM
patio slabs that won't stick down again. john west++++ UK diy 3 October 3rd 03 08:01 PM
Securing patio doors BigWallop UK diy 4 July 19th 03 05:17 PM