BigWallop

Default Securing patio doors

"Mike Jones" wrote in message
Having just moved into a house, I find the sliding aluminium patio doors
have only a basic lock on them.
I bought a couple of Yale multi-purpose door bolts from B&Q. I fitted one,
but it would not fit securely to the sliding door - it came with two
unremovable screws but I guess because the door is not solid, but hollow,
they would not screw right in, and the lock flopped about stupidly. I
managed to get the screws out again, but the instructions don't seem to
recognise that an aluminium door is hollow.
Do I need different locks?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

http://www.diynot.com/pages/hs/hs018.php

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Michael McNeil

"Mike Jones" wrote in message ...
Having just moved into a house, I find the sliding aluminium patio doors
have only a basic lock on them.

It's been ages since I touched a patio. Check you can't lift it off
the rail. It should have a block to prevent that. Any sort of device
that stops it being opened will do for the rest, I think. A set of
removable blocks or a length of lath to wedge it closed. If you wanted
to you could wind the wheels up and lift the unit out and put pieces
of wood into the hollows where you want the locks to fit. They aught
to be a little loose and secured with silicone or gripfill.

If it was me I'd use self tappers and a hasp and staple then a # good
padlock.
Brad

Hi

I see you recommend a sliding lock but do you have any more details..
suppliers/manufacturers etc?

Thanks

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Mike Jones" wrote in message
Having just moved into a house, I find the sliding aluminium patio doors
have only a basic lock on them.
I bought a couple of Yale multi-purpose door bolts from B&Q. I fitted

one,
but it would not fit securely to the sliding door - it came with two
unremovable screws but I guess because the door is not solid, but

hollow,
they would not screw right in, and the lock flopped about stupidly. I
managed to get the screws out again, but the instructions don't seem to
recognise that an aluminium door is hollow.
Do I need different locks?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

http://www.diynot.com/pages/hs/hs018.php

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Capitol

When the insurance company wanted the house brought up to Fort Knox
standards, before they would even consider insuring the place for a 90 day
absence (some years ago), I bought some simple patio door locks from Wickes.
Mounted in the appropriate positions they are very good at resisting lateral
and vertical movement.
Regards
Capitol