john west++++

Default patio slabs that won't stick down again.

hi, on our patio outside we have hexagonal six sided red concrete slabs
laid down. since we have been in this house about ten years the mortar
between the joints of the slabs seems to have shrunk and now bits of plant
and weed are growing in the cracks. i have tried rubbing in a bit of cement
mix obtainable from the local B&Q hardware store.... but how to do this
without it smearing all over the edges of the slabs and everything looking
like a dogs dinner i have yet to (hopefully) be advised on.

problem No 2 with these slabs and the 'real headache' is the fact that on
the edge of the patio leading towards the rest of the garden the slabs are
cut in half and have an 'over- hang' of about an inch or so. many of these
slabs have come 'unstuck' and the overhang is just enough to tilt the slabs,
if anyone steps on the edge. i have tried several times to stick them down
with the readymix cement from B&Q, but they are just not staying stuck down.

any advice i would be grateful for....thanks

yours john west

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"john west++++" wrote in message
hi, on our patio outside we have hexagonal six sided red concrete slabs
laid down. since we have been in this house about ten years the mortar
between the joints of the slabs seems to have shrunk and now bits of plant
and weed are growing in the cracks. i have tried rubbing in a bit of

cement
mix obtainable from the local B&Q hardware store.... but how to do this
without it smearing all over the edges of the slabs and everything looking
like a dogs dinner i have yet to (hopefully) be advised on.

I'd rake it all out to a decent depth and re-fill it with a sloppy mortar
mix and a pointy trowel.

problem No 2 with these slabs and the 'real headache' is the fact that on
the edge of the patio leading towards the rest of the garden the slabs are
cut in half and have an 'over- hang' of about an inch or so. many of these
slabs have come 'unstuck' and the overhang is just enough to tilt the

slabs,
if anyone steps on the edge. i have tried several times to stick them down
with the readymix cement from B&Q, but they are just not staying stuck

down.

And this one I'd probably use Gripfill on! Brush away any loose bits and
dust and squirt loads of lovely Gripfil under it. That'll cure the bugger!

Si

John Rumm

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I'd rake it all out to a decent depth and re-fill it with a sloppy mortar
mix and a pointy trowel.

Or you could rake and then sweep in a dry sand and cement mix whcih you
"water in" after. This makes keeping it off the slabs quite easy.

And this one I'd probably use Gripfill on! Brush away any loose bits and
dust and squirt loads of lovely Gripfil under it. That'll cure the bugger!

If it was me, I would take a large angle grinder with diamond disc and
cut the edge off the slabs and get rid of the overhang!

--
Cheers,

John.

Rick Dipper

My mum has some glue from the builders merchant for sticking bricks together.
its a two part stuff, you spead it on thinly, and it works just fine. Ifs for
people who want to build the lazy way. Works great for jobs like this, assuming the
stuff you are sticking to is solid.

Rick

patio nightmare ! george UK diy 2 September 5th 03 03:31 PM
Laying a cable under a patio Daniel Clarke UK diy 2 September 1st 03 10:33 PM
Secondary double glazing for patio doors? John Smith UK diy 0 July 20th 03 11:27 PM
Securing patio doors BigWallop UK diy 4 July 19th 03 05:17 PM