Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The House the 50s Built

On Monday, June 11, 2012 10:53:27 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

With such a small amount of dirty plates etc, you definitely don't
need a dishwasher ! Actually, I may be losing the argument. My sister
who did not want a dishwasher either has now sold out, and says her
new device has "changed here life". Oh dear ;-) Simon.

Unless you have a dishwasher you just can't understand their effect. I
wouldn't go back to being without one. You can take your washing to a
laundrette so the washer would go first.

Are you or were you ever in charge of doing both? I am, since I'm single,
and having to use a launderette would be a dreadful time waster and chore..
Doing the washing up on the other hand takes up little time.

--

Yes, its quite easy to do a bit of washing up whilst listening to something on radio 4. On the other hand, the launderette is for poor people and students. For some reason in my mind its in the same category as public phone boxes and people catching the bus. Oh and "Doctor Leg" (I once watched Eastenders about 10 years ago)
My wife has no car at the moment since someone drove into it, and she did not like the "courtesy" car (and we found out in the small print that we may end up paying for it **), and she is finding the buses somewhat improved, but I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon !

** The cost of the courtesy car may be taken off the value they give you for a write-off.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Wrong. Its MUCH more convenient to just put the dirty
plates and glasses in the dishwasher after the meal and take
the clean ones out of the dishwasher as required than to fart
around washing them by hand every day or even every 9 days.

Storing dirty dishes alongside clean ones for any
length of time doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Works fine and if you don’t like the idea, just get a couple
of extra racks when you buy the dishwasher and build
something you can slide them into next to the dishwasher.

Not a shred of rocket science whatever required.

It takes as much time to put clean dishes
back in their 'place' as it does to wash them.

Wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob reply@ng wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod wrote

Wrong. Its MUCH more convenient to just put the dirty
plates and glasses in the dishwasher after the meal and take
the clean ones out of the dishwasher as required than to fart
around washing them by hand every day or even every 9 days.

Storing dirty dishes alongside clean ones for any
length of time doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Quite. Sounds revolting.

Only if you are a germ freak.

And the solution is obvious, get a couple of extra
racks and build something to put them in if you
are a germ freak, or have two dishwashers.

It takes as much time to put clean dishes
back in their 'place' as it does to wash them.

Nope.

I've become a dishwasher convert after (more or less)
being instructed in install one. I like to keep surfaces clear,

I'm not that anal.

and spend a fair amount of time at home. So this
could involve a few rounds of washing up each day.

Also, I'd guess my use of a dishwasher is more economical than
regularly washing up. The eco case would be quite feeble though.

Nope, not with my running the dishwasher every
9 days when I run out of clean beer glasses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:44:33 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

Are you or were you ever in charge of doing both? I am, since I'm single,
and having to use a launderette would be a dreadful time waster and chore.

As a student and for a short time after I started working, I used
a launderette. Would start up the machine, walk next door and buy
Private Eye, and I'd just about finished reading it when the
washing was done.

In a student household we lived across the road from one so didn't
have to wait on the premises, then one day one of the girls forgot all
about the time lock on the front door activating about 7 in the
evening so you could get out but not back in.
Apart from what she was wearing most of her stuff was in there,No
problem, I happened to know somebody who rented a flat above it and
knew that entry could be gained from the rear yard through a doorway
adjacent to my mates stairs. The Launderette owner didn't lock this
door till about an hour later when he came to check the place and turn
off things.
I nipped around the back and started to remove her clothes from the
dryer.
At the moment a Policeman walked in, I hadn't noticed him but he saw
me nip in the back and had followed, there was me looking like a
Knicker nicker. I explained and after following me back home to check
all was well,trouble was my mate upstairs had come down mid incident
and witnessed it all. Being a good mate he then told all and sundry so
for weeks I had to put up with various jibes from friends about
collecting from washing lines etc etc.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:53:27 +0100 Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Are you or were you ever in charge of doing both? I am, since I'm single,
and having to use a launderette would be a dreadful time waster and chore.

1990s launderette helped me get my second degree - for 90 minutes nothing to
do but study. I gave it up and bought a wm when they curtailed the opening
hours - the local homeless had found it a nice warm place in the winter

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 16:14:03 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 23:14:49 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

It was Hoover that first turned out the stuff for the masses. But it
was cheap ****.

Hum, the pre WWII Hoover vacuum cleaner we had was still going strong
well into the 90's. Far better than the modern (1960's) hoover, of
course... B-)

Still got a fully working Hoover Constelation (the giant ball which
floats on a cushion of air). As bagged cleaners go, it's pretty darn
good too.

Ah, my parents had one of those - I seem to remember they ditched it when
the motor started sparking. Probably just worn brushes, but I was only
about 5 at the time and my "take everything apart to see how it works"
gene didn't really kick in for another couple of years. Shame, as it
would have been nice to keep it, just for the design alone.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:49:35 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

You're not allowed to say that! The Branding Police have decreed it!

http://www.london2012.com/documents/...-to-protected-
games-marks.pdf

or

http://tinyurl.com/7gjrcsv

So, that's two offences in one sentence!

**** them, the shower of ****s.

LOCOG, Olympic London 2012, Faster Higher Stronger Arseholes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You're not allowed to say that! The Branding Police have decreed it!

http://www.london2012.com/documents/...-to-protected-
games-marks.pdf

or

http://tinyurl.com/7gjrcsv

So, that's two offences in one sentence!

**** them, the shower of ****s.

LOCOG, Olympic London 2012, Faster Higher Stronger Arseholes.

I do not know why they are so proud of a logo that looks like Lisa Simpson
giving Bart a blowjob...

--
Tim Watts