Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Built-in house vacuum.

Some years ago they were a big item here but have noticed that most
people stop using them in favour of something smaller/lighter compared
to the bulky/heavy hoses and the messy business of emptying them
inside the house.

Often wondered if/why the central canister units for such systems
could be installed so they are emptied from outside the house. To
avoids recirculating the dust inside house. Or perhaps the canister
could be mounted in the garden shed outside?

Suggestions welcomeed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
Some years ago they were a big item here but have noticed that most
people stop using them in favour of something smaller/lighter compared
to the bulky/heavy hoses and the messy business of emptying them
inside the house.

Often wondered if/why the central canister units for such systems
could be installed so they are emptied from outside the house. To
avoids recirculating the dust inside house. Or perhaps the canister
could be mounted in the garden shed outside?

They usually are. Or in a garage.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"dadiOH" wrote:

terry wrote:
Some years ago they were a big item here but have noticed that most
people stop using them in favour of something smaller/lighter compared
to the bulky/heavy hoses and the messy business of emptying them
inside the house.

Often wondered if/why the central canister units for such systems
could be installed so they are emptied from outside the house. To
avoids recirculating the dust inside house. Or perhaps the canister
could be mounted in the garden shed outside?

They usually are. Or in a garage.

Ours was the worst of all worlds. Down in the basement right next to
the furnace. So, the dust was given the most direct access possible to
the airhandling equipment and we have to lug that up through most of the
rest of the house.

--
"I found what I thought was a REALLY good book,
called _Girl to Grab_. Imagine my surprise when I found
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some years ago they were a big item here but have noticed that most
people stop using them in favour of something smaller/lighter compared
to the bulky/heavy hoses and the messy business of emptying them
inside the house.

No one I know (several) has stopped using their BI Vac. The hoses are
actually LIGHTER than pulling any normal type of vac around.
IF you have one and the hose is heavy, it must be over 10 years old and can
be replaced for less than buying "another" vac.

Often wondered if/why the central canister units for such systems could be
installed so they are emptied from outside the house. To
avoids recirculating the dust inside house.

You don't have one do you ? Taking the dust bucket off the bottom to empty
it doesn't require you to spread dust around.

Or perhaps the canister could be mounted in the garden shed outside?

Sure, just dig an underground tunnel for the 2" PVC piping and run
electrical conduit out to the shed for the outlet..No PROBLEM !

Nearly all the ones I ve seen are mounted in the (attached) garage. If
there is no garage, then I ve seen one in a crawlspace.

Suggetstion welcomed

I suggest you stick with the regular push vac.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 3:51*pm, "Rudy" wrote:
[...]

Well in this 39 year old house we do. It's an ancient Eureka some 50
years old, basically the same design as the Hoover my mother had pre
WWII. Bags for Eureka still cheap and easy to obtain.
Two or three relatives have newer homes with central vacs. but don't
use them!
One of these days I may get hold of a central canister unit and
install it it in shed #2 which is contiguous to the house. With a full
but unfinished 48 by 35 basement workshop it would not be too hard to
install a number ot outlets and the unit would be most convenient for
also dusting the workshop. The attached garage is on the N.East side
of the house and is more windy. The shed is already wired and its door
facing S.East much less windy.
Thanks for the comments. I think my son found a spare hose. in house
he recently bought. But no central vac!
Also got a couple of wet/dry shop vacs' both have been rebuilt into
plastic 5 gallon pails/buckets because their original tin canisters
rusted out! At least one of them is otherwise about 40+ years old!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 10:27*am, terry wrote:
Some years ago they were a big item here but have noticed that most
people stop using them in favour of something smaller/lighter compared
to the bulky/heavy hoses and the messy business of emptying them
inside the house.

Often wondered if/why the central canister units for such systems
could be installed so they are emptied from outside the house. To
avoids recirculating the dust inside house. Or perhaps the canister
could be mounted in the garden shed outside?

Suggestions welcomeed.

I see total instal cost as the reason they are not used [ if thats
true] , id say they are better and the hose is lighter not heavier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
Some years ago they were a big item here but have noticed that most
people stop using them in favour of something smaller/lighter compared
to the bulky/heavy hoses and the messy business of emptying them
inside the house.

Often wondered if/why the central canister units for such systems
could be installed so they are emptied from outside the house. To
avoids recirculating the dust inside house. Or perhaps the canister
could be mounted in the garden shed outside?

Suggestions welcomeed.

We have had our Vacuflow for about 25 years. We love it. No vacuum stink.
Our's is in the basement and vents to the outside. We have had a few clogs,
but nothing a plumber's snake could not handle. Ours does three floors, the
basement and garage. I started to look at them for the motorhome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ours was the worst of all worlds. Down in the basement right next to
the furnace. So, the dust was given the most direct access possible to
the airhandling equipment and we have to lug that up through most of the
rest of the house.

Some brands of disposable vacuum cleaner bags (Kirby, for example) are VERY
good at stopping dust.

I would put such a bag on the outlet of the central vac (yes, it was in the
basement, next to the furnace) and let it catch the stuff than got through
the main bag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bill" wrote in message
If the return air opening is in your basement, you should have
a "real" hvac guy check out your system. It needs work.

How do you figure that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 10:27*am, terry wrote:
Some years ago they were a big item here but have noticed that most
people stop using them in favour of something smaller/lighter compared
to the bulky/heavy hoses and the messy business of emptying them
inside the house.

Often wondered if/why the central canister units for such systems
could be installed so they are emptied from outside the house. To
avoids recirculating the dust inside house. Or perhaps the canister
could be mounted in the garden shed outside?

Suggestions welcomeed.

Ours is the most appreciated appliance in the house. We put the
vacuum unit in the garage, I just love the thing, and find it easier
to work with a simple hose than dragging around acanister or upright.
The best part is that you know all the dust has been removed from the
house, as there is no bag seepage possible because the bag is in the
garage. I cant recommend a whole house vacuum enough, just love it.

When piping them you have to make sure any upward flowing pipes enter
the trunk line from the top so if a marble or screw gets in the line
it can go up and over and down into the trunk line instead of rattling
trying to enter the trunk line in turbulance. Also its a good idea to
run 2 pairs of low voltage wire to each outlet (thermostat wire is
good), this way if a carpenter shoots a nail through a wire you will
have a spare pair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 9:42*pm, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
"terry" wrote in message

Some years ago they were a big item here but have noticed that most
people stop using them in favour of something smaller/lighter compared
to the bulky/heavy hoses and the messy business of emptying them
inside the house.

Often wondered if/why the central canister units for such systems
could be installed so they are emptied from outside the house. To
avoids recirculating the dust inside house. Or perhaps the canister
could be mounted in the garden shed outside?

Suggestions welcomeed.

We have had our Vacuflow for about 25 years. *We love it. *No vacuum stink.
Our's is in the basement and vents to the outside.

Exactly. They can and should be vented to the outside, so that any
odors wind up outside. My house had a CV when I bought it which was
vented into the basement and it did produce an odor when running. I
simply added the piping to the air outlet and routed it outside.
Very happy with it. Replaced the head and hose about 10 years ago
and they are much better. Biggest improvement is the AC wire is now
hidden in the hose, not clipped on externally.

I do notice that they are not being included in almost all new builder
homes today. So, I guess they are not an A list item for people,
even $1mil homes here in NJ usually don't have them now.

*We have had a few clogs,
but nothing a plumber's snake could not handle. *Ours does three floors, the
basement and garage. *I started to look at them for the motorhome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message

[...]

basement and garage. *I started to look at them for the motorhome.- Hide quoted text -

Yup, clogging! That was going to be another question; our first
question about a CV being powerful enough to dispose of sawdust etc
from basement workshop was already answered; it's not!
We guess if a sock or large piece of tissue gets sucked into the
system it could cause a problem? However if we were to install one
here the basement is unfinished we presumably could have clean-outs
with screw on covers or something at useful locations. If mounted in
our shed (to get dust outside the house) which is attached to the
house the longest run would be about 50 to 60 feet! The thought of
sixty feet of pipe without any way to get into it except by cutting
the pipe is not thrilling! Or is that not a concern.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message

[...]

Fifteen years of use here, with no clogs. I think with prudent usage,
it should not clog. A sock wouldn't even make it through the power
head. Even if it did get clogged, you'd have a good chance of opening
it with a simple snake.

built in vacuum pipes Art Home Repair 4 June 30th 07 04:53 AM
Anyone built a house from SIPs? NickW UK diy 31 December 19th 06 12:01 AM
Built in vacuum does not shut offf??? gary Home Repair 6 January 27th 05 05:59 PM
Illegally renting main house and living in another house built on back of the house on same plot... Kaushik Home Ownership 13 October 23rd 04 12:32 PM
Vacuum Clamp built into workbench? Bestest Handsander Woodworking 5 February 29th 04 04:47 AM