Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Default Is RCD/RCBO mandatory for electric shower?

Quick question, instead of replacing like-for-like, I'd like to upgrade
a 7.5kW shower to 9.5kW, obviously got to change the cable from 6mm to
10mm so this then becomes a "new" install.
Is RCD/RCBO protection now mandatory?

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2012 13:08, Lee wrote:
Quick question, instead of replacing like-for-like, I'd like to upgrade
a 7.5kW shower to 9.5kW, obviously got to change the cable from 6mm to
10mm so this then becomes a "new" install.

Depending on the length, and how the cable is routed, there are
circumstances where the 6mm^2 cable will still be adequate. It will
depend on the details, but the current carrying capacity of 6mm^2 can be
as much as 47A (and your load is 41A)

Is RCD/RCBO protection now mandatory?

Not because its a shower as such[1], although fitting one for a shower
is very common. However if the cable run is "unprotected" (i.e. cables
not enclosed in an earthed metal screen, and its buried in a wall at a
depth of less than 50mm), then it would need an RCD to comply with the
requirements for cable protection.

[1] Although main and supplementary equipotential bonding will need to
be present and to an adequate standard, and you will need to verify the
circuit design by calculation.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lectric_shower

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...g_A_Cable_Size

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 27/04/2012 13:36, John Rumm wrote:
snip

The run of 6mm is roughly 10m, just seems a bit too near its limit for
me, iyswim.

Is RCD/RCBO protection now mandatory?

Not because its a shower as such[1], although fitting one for a shower
is very common. However if the cable run is "unprotected" (i.e. cables
not enclosed in an earthed metal screen, and its buried in a wall at a
depth of less than 50mm), then it would need an RCD to comply with the
requirements for cable protection.

Main reason for asking was that it's currently protected by a fuse
rather than MCB and I was a little concerned by the possible disconnect
time in case of a fault. Have to check the cable route before going further.
If a wanted to add an RCBO in an enclosure, is there a way it is
permissible to do it from the existing fuseway in the CU or does it
*have* to be done as an additional CU with Henley blocks? If the latter,
I think I'd prefer to get someone else to do it and sign it off.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Ok, so having read through the links I can fit an enclosed RCBO via an
existing fuseway and on balance this seems an eminently sensible thing
to do.
Now, assuming the routing of the cable is ok and the thermal rating is
not exceeded, does using an RCBO mean that 6mm cable would have a
sufficient disconnect time?
I still think I'd be happier uprating the cable to 10mm though

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2012 15:27, Lee wrote:

Ok, so having read through the links I can fit an enclosed RCBO via an
existing fuseway and on balance this seems an eminently sensible thing
to do.

If hanging off an existing fuse, then there is no need for a RCBO (i.e.
combined RCD and fuse in effect), and an additional RCD would be enough.

Now, assuming the routing of the cable is ok and the thermal rating is
not exceeded, does using an RCBO mean that 6mm cable would have a
sufficient disconnect time?

An RCD will limit the disconnect time in the event of an earth fault.
However is preferable to design where you can such that it would comply
even without it. You sometimes also need to consider the disconnect time
in the case of a L to N fault, but generally, if its ok on L to E faults
then it will be ok on that as well.

I still think I'd be happier uprating the cable to 10mm though

If you can furnish some details, we can work through the checks and see...

To start with we need to know:

Details of how the cable is routed - i.e. in a chase plastered into a
wall etc?

The total length of cable.

What type of fuse is there currently - rewireable or cartridge fuse?

And if you know it, your earth loop impedance (if your metre has been
changed in the last few years this may be written onto a label near or
on it - it would say something like "ELI: 0.3 ohms"). If you don't know
that, then what type of earthing[1] arrangement have you got? (so we can
assume the nominal worst case values).

[1] You can use the details and pictures here to work out which:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Earthing_Types

(chances are its likely to be TN-S or TN-C-S unless you are out in the
sticks a bit)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 27/04/2012 15:55, John Rumm wrote:

If hanging off an existing fuse, then there is no need for a RCBO (i.e.
combined RCD and fuse in effect), and an additional RCD would be enough.

Sorry typo, meant RCD

If you can furnish some details, we can work through the checks and see...

Thanks, I'll report back when I've had a proper look.

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2012 15:58, BruceB wrote:
In articleLuidndEQkMNDDwfSnZ2dnUVZ7tudnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
says...

Is RCD/RCBO protection now mandatory?

Not because its a shower as such[1], although fitting one for a shower
is very common. However if the cable run is "unprotected" (i.e. cables
not enclosed in an earthed metal screen, and its buried in a wall at a
depth of less than 50mm), then it would need an RCD to comply with the
requirements for cable protection.

I believe that is wrong now.

If you replace the cable with a larger one then the work you have done
has to comply with the current regulations which require an rcd for
every circuit in a room with a bath or shower.

Yes, sorry I was not clear. The cable protection issue would only apply
if also changing the cable or installing a new circuit. If just changing
the shower, on the same cable (assuming the circuit as a whole is
adequate) then you would not necessarily need to add the RCD for that
reason. Note however that many shower manufacturers instructions will
mandate the use of a RCD anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 27, 1:36*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/04/2012 13:08, Lee wrote:

[...]

I may well be mistaken here. I thought that if the OP only replaces
the shower, then its not a new circuit, only a new appliance, and thus
doesn't need 'up'grading to the 17th edition requirements.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BruceB wrote:
In article ,
says...

BruceB wrote:
In article
,
says...

In article ,
says...

Is RCD/RCBO protection now mandatory?

Not because its a shower as such[1], although fitting one for
a shower is very common. However if the cable run is
"unprotected" (i.e. cables not enclosed in an earthed metal
screen, and its buried in a wall at a depth of less than
50mm), then it would need an RCD to comply with the
requirements for cable protection.

I believe that is wrong now.

If you replace the cable with a larger one then the work you
have done has to comply with the current regulations which
require an rcd for every circuit in a room with a bath or
shower.

It is regulation 701.411.3.3

I disagree. An electric shower could be fitted to a 16th edition
regs bathroom if the new shower is integrated with the existing
supplementary bonding.

Can you say why you think that and give an authority. All new work
has to comply with *current* regulations. I cannot see how this long
after the introduction of the 17th edition you can elect to use the
16th (or 15th, 14th, 13th etc) edition.

However I would agree with you if you were just changing the shower
unit, but not if you are doing any work on the circuit.

Lets start again just in case I jumped the gun or just ****ed up in my
description of what you can do:-).

A new shower circuit would need to be RCD protected as per 701.411.3.3 and
meet the 17th edition regs (as you said)

Let's not throw reg nos at each other and find a way to agree or disagree
and hopefully help other learn.

I am suggesting (and I was not clear about that) that a new electric shower
could be installed using the 17th edition requirements into an existing 16th
edition bathroom setup without having to RCD all the existing circuits in
the bathroom if you extend the existing supplementary bonding into the new
shower circuit.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2012 13:08, Lee wrote:
Quick question, instead of replacing like-for-like, I'd like to upgrade
a 7.5kW shower to 9.5kW, obviously got to change the cable from 6mm to
10mm so this then becomes a "new" install.
Is RCD/RCBO protection now mandatory?

Regardless of the legal issue you would be very stupid not to have the
appropriate protection.

Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-27, ARWadsworth wrote:

Let's not throw reg nos at each other and find a way to agree or disagree
and hopefully help other learn.

You crazy radical!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-27, Peter Crosland wrote:

On 27/04/2012 13:08, Lee wrote:
Quick question, instead of replacing like-for-like, I'd like to upgrade
a 7.5kW shower to 9.5kW, obviously got to change the cable from 6mm to
10mm so this then becomes a "new" install.
Is RCD/RCBO protection now mandatory?

Regardless of the legal issue you would be very stupid not to have the
appropriate protection.

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I would insist on an RCD or RCBO for an
electric shower even if the regulations and manufacturers'
instructions didn't require it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2012 22:28, BruceB wrote:
In ,
says...

Lets start again just in case I jumped the gun or just ****ed up in my
description of what you can do:-).

A new shower circuit would need to be RCD protected as per 701.411.3.3 and
meet the 17th edition regs (as you said)

Let's not throw reg nos at each other and find a way to agree or
disagree and hopefully help other learn.

I am suggesting (and I was not clear about that) that a new electric
shower could be installed using the 17th edition requirements into an
existing 16th edition bathroom setup without having to RCD all the
existing circuits in the bathroom if you extend the existing
supplementary bonding into the new shower circuit.

Not trying to pick a fight - I know you know your stuff.

I am being pedantic about the regs here rather than saying what might
*do* for safety, but surely once you modify the shower circuit at all,
then that part of the circuit you modify has to be brought up to 17th
compliance, which includes an rcd (for that circuit rather than all
circuits). There is no exception to the reg requiring an rcd on a
circuit in a shower room.

If you are modifying the circuit (i.e. uprating cable or protective
device) then yup agreed. However I believe that straight swap of just
the shower unit onto an installation that complied with the 16th edition
requirements (but did not include a RCD) would also be acceptable
(assuming the fitting instructions don't mandate a RCD).

Having said that, for a shower, I would fit a RCD as a matter of course
if it did not have one.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-27, ARWadsworth wrote:

Let's not throw reg nos at each other and find a way to agree or
disagree and hopefully help other learn.

You crazy radical!

But Bruce is a knowledgeable and intelligent bloke. I prefer not to fight
with them but debate. It's bellends like dennis that I abuse.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-27, ARWadsworth wrote:

Let's not throw reg nos at each other and find a way to agree or
disagree and hopefully help other learn.

You crazy radical!

But Bruce is a knowledgeable and intelligent bloke. I prefer not to fight
with them but debate. It's bellends like dennis that I abuse.

I'm ringing the RSPCD...

;-

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Just to update, I was obviously having brain fade because I totally
failed to notice the RCD that was already sitting there.

Since the existing 6mm was clipped to surface for it's entire 10m length
(runs up the dividing wall then straight in behind the shower unit) and
was already protected by a 40A fuse and 45A DP switch I just thought it
was easier put a 8.5Kw unit in as a "like for like" replacement.

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2012 11:33, Tim Watts wrote:

On 2012-04-27, ARWadsworth wrote:

Let's not throw reg nos at each other and find a way to agree or
disagree and hopefully help other learn.

You crazy radical!

But Bruce is a knowledgeable and intelligent bloke. I prefer not to fight
with them but debate. It's bellends like dennis that I abuse.

I'm ringing the RSPCD...

;-

Royal Soc for the *Promotion* of C to D?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On 2012-04-27, ARWadsworth wrote:

Let's not throw reg nos at each other and find a way to agree or
disagree and hopefully help other learn.

You crazy radical!

But Bruce is a knowledgeable and intelligent bloke. I prefer not to
fight with them but debate. It's bellends like dennis that I abuse.

I'm ringing the RSPCD...

;-

Previously known as the Spastics Society.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 28/04/2012 11:33, Tim Watts wrote:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Lee, noel gallagher wrote:
i could go into detail what you need to do but unless you are qualified i
strongly recommend you get someone who is to do it.as showers come into
contact with person/s you need protection with a safe disconnection time so an
rcd or rcbo is mandatory.as for cable size ,length of run,where and how is the
cable is run,size of shower come into play also.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...er-805516-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/16 18:44, noel gallagher wrote:
replying to Lee, noel gallagher wrote:
i could go into detail what you need to do but unless you are qualified i
strongly recommend you get someone who is to do it.as showers come into
contact with person/s you need protection with a safe disconnection time
so an
rcd or rcbo is mandatory.as for cable size ,length of run,where and how
is the
cable is run,size of shower come into play also.

It's more or defacto mandatory for any circuit, unless you can bury it
50mm below the surface or mechanically protect it, or surface run it.

It will also be necessary if you have no supplementary binding in the
bathroom under the 17th.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 27/06/16 18:44, noel gallagher wrote:
replying to Lee, noel gallagher wrote:
i could go into detail what you need to do but unless you are
qualified i strongly recommend you get someone who is to do it.as
showers come into contact with person/s you need protection with a
safe disconnection time so an
rcd or rcbo is mandatory.as for cable size ,length of run,where and
how is the
cable is run,size of shower come into play also.

It's more or defacto mandatory for any circuit, unless you can bury it
50mm below the surface or mechanically protect it, or surface run it.

It will also be necessary if you have no supplementary binding in the
bathroom under the 17th.

Oh dear!
45 years ago in my first house I fitted and plumbed in a Triton 7KW electric
shower over the bath. The cable went straight down the pipe box and finished
up in the meter cupboard. I was very nervous when I connected the cable to
the electric meter. Nervous is better than saying that I was **** scared.
The meter had fuses. No RCD stuff.
There was no isolation switch for the shower.
I was dead proud of my shower.
I wish that I was 45 years younger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 19:55:40 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Funny how you didn't die. RC whatevers are for pussies.

--
Bumper sticker seen on a B-2 Stealth Bomber:
"IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THEN WE WASTED 50 BILLION BUCKS."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I'm wondering which side of the meter he connected the shower to...

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Which side would you think?
Now, take your time, we do understand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Hot showers are for girls.

--
We used to have Empires run by Emperors.
Then Kingdoms run by Kings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Showers don't use enough to bother doing that. You obviously connect something which uses more juice that side.

--
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh dear!
45 years ago in my first house I fitted and plumbed in a Triton 7KW
electric shower over the bath. The cable went straight down the pipe
box and finished up in the meter cupboard. I was very nervous when I
connected the cable to the electric meter. Nervous is better than
saying that I was **** scared. The meter had fuses. No RCD stuff.
There was no isolation switch for the shower.
I was dead proud of my shower.
I wish that I was 45 years younger.

I did the same at around the same time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Awww is the little pansy scared of fuses?

--
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason -- Benjamin Franklin

Shower Pump or Electric Shower? HarpingOn[_2_] UK diy 27 January 20th 12 12:00 PM
RCBO question Ron Lowe UK diy 6 January 4th 09 11:12 PM
OT- Mandatory Overtime Roger_N[_2_] Metalworking 41 April 23rd 08 07:11 PM
MK RCBO wiring Les Desser UK diy 5 December 30th 05 09:49 AM
MCB -> RCBO Mark UK diy 7 September 19th 05 10:34 AM