Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default Is RCD/RCBO mandatory for electric shower?

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 19:55:40 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
On 27/06/16 18:44, noel gallagher wrote:
replying to Lee, noel gallagher wrote:
i could go into detail what you need to do but unless you are
qualified i strongly recommend you get someone who is to do it.as
showers come into contact with person/s you need protection with a
safe disconnection time so an
rcd or rcbo is mandatory.as for cable size ,length of run,where and
how is the
cable is run,size of shower come into play also.

It's more or defacto mandatory for any circuit, unless you can bury it
50mm below the surface or mechanically protect it, or surface run it.

It will also be necessary if you have no supplementary binding in the
bathroom under the 17th.

Oh dear!
45 years ago in my first house I fitted and plumbed in a Triton 7KW electric
shower over the bath. The cable went straight down the pipe box and finished
up in the meter cupboard. I was very nervous when I connected the cable to
the electric meter. Nervous is better than saying that I was **** scared.
The meter had fuses. No RCD stuff.
There was no isolation switch for the shower.
I was dead proud of my shower.
I wish that I was 45 years younger.

Funny how you didn't die. RC whatevers are for pussies.

--
Bumper sticker seen on a B-2 Stealth Bomber:
"IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THEN WE WASTED 50 BILLION BUCKS."