Mark

Default MCB -> RCBO

I've got no RCCB protection at all in my new home. (Recently built
apartment)

I'm thinking of changing out the MCB for an RCBO - not a difficult job,
and there's plenty of space in the CU.

But, is this a part P notifiable job?

I've looked through the part P guides but am a bit confused as it says
that 'replacing' is not notifiable except in certain areas.

Hopefully, someone here can clarify.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:23:45 +0000 (UTC), Mark
wrote:

I've got no RCCB protection at all in my new home. (Recently built
apartment)

I'm thinking of changing out the MCB for an RCBO - not a difficult job,
and there's plenty of space in the CU.

*The* MCB? Normally there are several - one for each circuit - or
were you referring to the main incoming switch?

You can replace individual circuit MCBs with RCBOs (they are combined
MCB and RCD). However, each is two DIN positions as opposed to one
and rather more expensive.

An alternative is to split the consumer unit and fit a 30MA RCD part
way across, keeping the MCBs. Typically lighting and essential power
circuits for freezers etc. are connected upstream of the RCD and
circuits where portable appliances to be used outside might be
connected are downstream.

But, is this a part P notifiable job?

Yes.

I've looked through the part P guides but am a bit confused as it says
that 'replacing' is not notifiable except in certain areas.

This one is.

Hopefully, someone here can clarify.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mark

Andy Hall wrote:

*The* MCB? Normally there are several - one for each circuit - or
were you referring to the main incoming switch?

LOL. Oops. I mean the MCB for the flat ring main.

I'm quite happy to leave the kitchen ring/lights/etc. unprotected, which
doesn't actually leave very much that otherwise needs protection.

An alternative is to split the consumer unit and fit a 30MA RCD part
way across, keeping the MCBs. Typically lighting and essential power
circuits for freezers etc. are connected upstream of the RCD and
circuits where portable appliances to be used outside might be
connected are downstream.

I thought of this, but there's already an off-peak supply in the CU, and
I could imagine running out of bus bars if I wanted to split the supply.
Besides, the only other circuit that would warrant protection is the
immersion heater. A split load for 2 circuits? Well, i suppose it is an
option.

But, is this a part P notifiable job?

Yes.

Cheers. Will put a bit more thought into things before jumping in.

John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

MCB and RCD). However, each is two DIN positions as opposed to one
and rather more expensive.

There are some single width ones, but these tend to be double height.
Hence not all CUs are tall enough to take them.

--
Cheers,

John.

tony sayer

In article , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

I've got no RCCB protection at all in my new home. (Recently built
apartment)

I'm thinking of changing out the MCB for an RCBO - not a difficult job,
and there's plenty of space in the CU.

*The* MCB? Normally there are several - one for each circuit - or
were you referring to the main incoming switch?

You can replace individual circuit MCBs with RCBOs (they are combined
MCB and RCD). However, each is two DIN positions as opposed to one
and rather more expensive.

May I beg leave to ask me 'learned friend whether one DIN way one's
exist as I seem to remember seeing them around????
--
Tony Sayer

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
tony sayer writes:
In article , Andy Hall
writes
You can replace individual circuit MCBs with RCBOs (they are combined
MCB and RCD). However, each is two DIN positions as opposed to one
and rather more expensive.

May I beg leave to ask me 'learned friend whether one DIN way one's
exist as I seem to remember seeing them around????

Yes they do. Depends on manufacturer.
I have used those from MK and Eaton (formerly MEM).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mark wrote:

Besides, the only other circuit that would warrant protection is the
immersion heater. A split load for 2 circuits? Well, i suppose it is an
option.

I would not put an immersion on an RCD. If the RCD is shared its asking
for trouble. And it really gains nothing in safety terms. Contrary to
popular assumption its quite ok for a split immersion heater to pass
the heating current straight through the water. Its very common, and
no-one gets injured this way.

Those without understnading of the subject never believe it, but tis
so. And it happens commonly.

NT

Boiler tripping rcd paddy UK diy 14 July 10th 05 10:57 PM
RCBO friendly CU re clearance (merlin gerin 1-mod) Dorothy Bradbury UK diy 7 May 24th 05 06:41 PM
Shed Electrics Quigs UK diy 20 January 26th 04 09:56 AM
Typical domestic electrical circuits John Aston UK diy 21 January 21st 04 03:10 PM
Volex RCBO / MK Sentry CU Christian McArdle UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 06:32 PM