Dorothy Bradbury

Default RCBO friendly CU re clearance (merlin gerin 1-mod)

I have a "new style" MK CU with several MG RCBOs.

During installation I noted the space above the RCBOs
is somewhat limited - fine for MCBs, very tight for # RCBOs.

Q: Anyone "been here & found a CU with more space"?

I suspect a more industrial unit - but space is limited.

Thanks.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dorothy Bradbury" writes:
I have a "new style" MK CU with several MG RCBOs.

During installation I noted the space above the RCBOs
is somewhat limited - fine for MCBs, very tight for # RCBOs.

I hadn't noticed the difference before, but you're right, the
newer MK CU's have less clearence between the rail and top
than the previous CU's with the clear plastic covers (which
were much better quality IMHO). I have one of each here, and
the older one does have a couple of the MK rebadged MG RCBOs
in it, but it's a bit of a pain as they need DIN rail adaptors
to raise them to the correct front panel height and bus bar
adaptors as they don't accept the MK bus bar directly.
The current MK single way RCBO's are about half an inch
shorter, and don't need the DIN rail or bus bar adaptors.

Q: Anyone "been here & found a CU with more space"?

You could use a current RCBO, but I guess you already have
the MG ones, and the current ones are not available in all
the same ratings the earlier MG rebadged ones were.

I suspect a more industrial unit - but space is limited.

For industrial CU's, I use the MEM memshield 500 (IIRC) range.
(I think MEM recently changed its name to Eaton or something
like that). I like the way you can make up RCBO's by adding
an RCBO pod to their MCB's to get an RCBO of any rating
(although the 10mA RCBO's are only available preassembled).
However, these CU's won't take MK parts -- bus bar is
different style. They also do a downrated residential range
but I've never used that.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dorothy Bradbury

I hadn't noticed the difference before, but you're right, the
newer MK CU's have less clearence between the rail and top
than the previous CU's with the clear plastic covers (which
were much better quality IMHO).

Yes they were - albeit more expensive.

For industrial CU's, I use the MEM memshield 500 (IIRC) range.
(I think MEM recently changed its name to Eaton or something
like that). I like the way you can make up RCBO's by adding
an RCBO pod to their MCB's to get an RCBO of any rating
(although the 10mA RCBO's are only available preassembled).

That is handy re upgrade/migration path.

However, these CU's won't take MK parts -- bus bar is
different style. They also do a downrated residential range
but I've never used that.

I wonder if the bus bar difference can be avoided...
o Move isolator, rcd, split-load-cabling, busbar, RCBOs from old unit
o Adjust the DIN rail to cover plate distance if needed

Could be the DIN plate isn't in the correct place...

I'm thinking of the French CU which have enough space in them
to get the average estate agent excited in terms of sub-letting. An
issue there may be the positioning of N & E bars re plain distance.

Thanks.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dorothy Bradbury" writes:
I hadn't noticed the difference before, but you're right, the
newer MK CU's have less clearence between the rail and top
than the previous CU's with the clear plastic covers (which
were much better quality IMHO).

Yes they were - albeit more expensive.

Yes, but I buy MK on quality, not price, so that was expected.

For industrial CU's, I use the MEM memshield 500 (IIRC) range.
(I think MEM recently changed its name to Eaton or something
like that). I like the way you can make up RCBO's by adding
an RCBO pod to their MCB's to get an RCBO of any rating
(although the 10mA RCBO's are only available preassembled).

That is handy re upgrade/migration path.

However, these CU's won't take MK parts -- bus bar is
different style. They also do a downrated residential range
but I've never used that.

I wonder if the bus bar difference can be avoided...
o Move isolator, rcd, split-load-cabling, busbar, RCBOs from old unit
o Adjust the DIN rail to cover plate distance if needed

Could be the DIN plate isn't in the correct place...

I don't think they use a top-hat DIN rail. I don't have one
handy to look in, but I suspect it has an assymetric DIN rail
which only holds the top of the breaker, as the bus bar holds
the bottom.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dorothy Bradbury

I don't think they use a top-hat DIN rail. I don't have one
handy to look in, but I suspect it has an assymetric DIN rail
which only holds the top of the breaker, as the bus bar holds
the bottom.

Ah. Noted, will wait until the next renovation :-)

Thanks.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

John Rumm

Dorothy Bradbury wrote:

I have a "new style" MK CU with several MG RCBOs.

During installation I noted the space above the RCBOs
is somewhat limited - fine for MCBs, very tight for # RCBOs.

Q: Anyone "been here & found a CU with more space"?

I suspect a more industrial unit - but space is limited.

The Contactum range from TLC have a fair bit of clearance. Piccie he-

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/contactum.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Christian McArdle

The Contactum range from TLC have a fair bit of clearance. Piccie he-

Yes, I used one. Loads of room for RCBOs and all sorts in there. No problem
with a mixture of top and bottom entry, either. The RCBOs tend to be double
width, which is not a problem for me as they do large consumer units, single
width RCBOs often claim they must have a blank space beside them anyway, and
it makes the wiring less congested.

Christian.

John Rumm

Christian McArdle wrote:

Yes, I used one. Loads of room for RCBOs and all sorts in there. No problem
with a mixture of top and bottom entry, either. The RCBOs tend to be double
width, which is not a problem for me as they do large consumer units, single
width RCBOs often claim they must have a blank space beside them anyway, and
it makes the wiring less congested.

IIRC TLC do a range of single width RCBOs (only available in their
"extended range" on the web) that run without needing the extra space.

--
Cheers,

John.