Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is RCD/RCBO mandatory for electric shower?

BruceB wrote:

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...

Is RCD/RCBO protection now mandatory?

Not because its a shower as such[1], although fitting one for a shower
is very common. However if the cable run is "unprotected" (i.e. cables
not enclosed in an earthed metal screen, and its buried in a wall at a
depth of less than 50mm), then it would need an RCD to comply with the
requirements for cable protection.

I believe that is wrong now.

If you replace the cable with a larger one then the work you have done
has to comply with the current regulations which require an rcd for
every circuit in a room with a bath or shower.

It is regulation 701.411.3.3

I would have to agree with that - my interpretation would be that an uprated
cable/circuit would consitute a new circuit - meaning the current regs
apply.

In any case, RCD protection for bathroom circuits is an eminently sensible
idea - and there are ways to do this even if the CU cannot conveniently take
an RCBO for that "way" - eg add a 30mA RCD in a little box after the CU at a
convenient location.

--
Tim Watts