Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default septic tank

we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2012 08:29, leedsbob wrote:
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

Any non biological washing product is fine. I don't think any of the
dish washer tablets are a problem. Bleach is a no no, plenty of product
for cleaning the toilet that are safe. Also there is a product (can't
remember its name, we get ours from the local pumper out) it comes in
sachets, one of which you flush down a toilet every month. This feeds
the needed bacteria. We have been here for over 10 years and have had no
problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 8:29*am, leedsbob wrote:
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

Two bits of guidance:

Avoid disposing of chemicals into the tank - paints, solvents, drain-
unblockers etc, and take it easy with bleach, a little is ok.

Get the tank pumped out and checked out soon after you move in (even
if the current owners claim it has been done recently) - if the system
backs-up it is very unpleasant. Major work on a tank or the drainage
field is *very expensive* (think thousands) - but a properly look-
after system (yearly pump out, and nothing through it that will choke
the drainage field) will last many, many years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

On 2012-02-18, wrote:
On 18/02/2012 08:29, leedsbob wrote:
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

Any non biological washing product is fine. I don't think any of the
dish washer tablets are a problem. Bleach is a no no, plenty of product
for cleaning the toilet that are safe. Also there is a product (can't
remember its name, we get ours from the local pumper out) it comes in
sachets, one of which you flush down a toilet every month. This feeds
the needed bacteria. We have been here for over 10 years and have had no
problems.

Put whatever you like down the drains. The only thing we avoid is anything
that won't fit through the pump and a 2" pipe. We get the Klargester
desludged annually, but apart from that pay it no mind whatsoever.

And we've been doing that for nearly 19 years.

Had mine cleared out shortly after moving in . The Hales bloke asked me
if I used rainbow coloured contraceptives. Apparently there were
hundreds of the damn things. So perhaps
putting whatever you like down needs a caveat !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 00:29:34 -0800 (PST), leedsbob
wrote:

we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...re/132387.aspx

Discussed here
http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/ind...topicseen.html
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"leedsbob" wrote in message
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

Not really related, but we've just been out for a walk in the country and
walked past a house with a couple of plastic lids sunk into the ground which
I assume were associated with a septic tank.

However one had an amber warning light on the top (like the ones you
sometimes see on the top of works vehicles).
No idea what this was for, but couldn't help wonder if this was the "too
much curry" warning light :-)

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"leedsbob" wrote in message
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

We lived with septic tanks for many years. The first was a brick built two
stage affair which we had emptied about every 3 years and it never gave us
any trouble.

The second was a fibreglass Clargister which needed emptying every year.
We never restricted what household chemicals were used, and they both worked
well. They were certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than I pay now for mains
drains.

A neighbour let his go too long without emptying until the tail drains
became blocked. Then when he did have it done the inside of the tank
collapsed, apparently due to the excess weight of solids in the upper
chamber. He had to have the whole lot replaced!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2012 08:29, leedsbob wrote:
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

Nothing from the outlet of a condensing boiler!

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:53:15 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

On 18/02/2012 08:29, leedsbob wrote:
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

Nothing from the outlet of a condensing boiler!

Our has been getting that for ten years with no trouble. If you're
thinking of the acidity, it's no more acid than orange juice of
ketchup.

the real answer is nothing like chewing gum, used condoms or plstics.

Everything else biodegrades.

I often use caustic. The whole things is rapidly diluted the next time
you wash a wine bottle..or pee into it and the bacteria are replenished
every time you crap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 8:29*am, leedsbob wrote:
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

It does depend on the size of the tank. If it is a modern one then
you do have to be careful, but the older ones (in my case 1930's) are
so big that the amount of bleach and the likes is well diluted by
everything else. I don't think in 35 years we've ever paid any
attention to 'being careful' and we've never had any bother - apart
from when the outlet into a 1930's clay field drain blocked; that
wasn't quite so pleasant.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2012 18:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:53:15 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

On 18/02/2012 08:29, leedsbob wrote:
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

Nothing from the outlet of a condensing boiler!

Our has been getting that for ten years with no trouble. If you're
thinking of the acidity, it's no more acid than orange juice of
ketchup.

The instructions for some German boiler I saw, did say not to send the
condensate to a septic tank type system. In Germany you can get low
sulphur fuel oil.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

The instructions for some German boiler I saw, did say not to send the
condensate to a septic tank type system. In Germany you can get low
sulphur fuel oil.

Is a German Boiler a euphemism for Angel Merkel?

Anyway all German instructions say don't do anything with this product,
so we cant be sued for you using it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2012 15:53, Michael Chare wrote:
On 18/02/2012 08:29, leedsbob wrote:
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

Nothing from the outlet of a condensing boiler!

Can't really see he logic of that. Its only mildly acidic water (think
vinegar, not battery acid).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 00:29:34 -0800, leedsbob wrote:

we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we have
been told we need to be carefull about using products which damage the
bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with experience of
septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet cleaner washing
machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

We don't put any special 'helpers' into ours. Avoid things that aren't
going to break down. A little bit of bleach and other chemicals should be
fine, as should washing machine waste water. Pumping frequency around
here seems to be anywhere between 4-10 years for a typical family of four.

I'm not sure what UK law is on these, here in the US the properties
across the street from us lie in a different township and insulated tanks
are mandatory, but that's not the case on our side of the road, and tanks
can freeze in the harsh winters that we get here if they're not set deep
enough.

cheers

Jules

Septic Tank Questions Art Todesco Home Repair 12 September 26th 09 11:43 AM
No Septic Tank? Steve B Home Repair 29 June 19th 07 09:09 PM
Roots in Septic Tank Joe V Home Repair 4 July 20th 06 02:48 AM
what to do after pumping out septic tank Ether Jones Home Repair 18 March 30th 06 10:15 PM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 06:02 PM