Posted to uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default septic tank

"leedsbob" wrote in message
we are shortly moving to a rural property with no mains drainage,we
have been told we need to be carefull about using products which
damage the bacteria which form part of the process,can anyone with
experience of septic tanks adise us the products to use,ie,toilet
cleaner washing machine detergent and dishwasher tablets,many thanks

We lived with septic tanks for many years. The first was a brick built two
stage affair which we had emptied about every 3 years and it never gave us
any trouble.

The second was a fibreglass Clargister which needed emptying every year.
We never restricted what household chemicals were used, and they both worked
well. They were certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than I pay now for mains
drains.

A neighbour let his go too long without emptying until the tail drains
became blocked. Then when he did have it done the inside of the tank
collapsed, apparently due to the excess weight of solids in the upper
chamber. He had to have the whole lot replaced!

Mike