Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roots in Septic Tank

I had my septic tank pumped and the company found roots in the tank.
They are fairly fine roots and they removed the ones that they could
reach. My question is is there a product out there that works to
dissolve them? I see ads for RootX, etc., but I am not sure that I
should put something like this in the tank. I do put bacteria in the
tank monthly and it works great as far as disolving the solids.

Any advice or experience with this would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe,

Roots in the septic tank? Is your septic tank cracked and leaking? This
is not a good thing. Find out and fix the problem before your well gets
contaminated.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David Martel wrote:
Joe,

Roots in the septic tank? Is your septic tank cracked and leaking? This
is not a good thing. Find out and fix the problem before your well gets
contaminated.

Not likely, it's almost certain simply a lid not completely
tight--roots can find and work their way through the smallest of
cracks.

The easiest solution assuming there isn't a major problem (and the
septic service guys should have determined that--if not, then you do
need to find out where they are actually coming from) is the copper
sulfate around the tank. I had similar problem and solved it by
burying a piece of 3/4" plastic pipe w/ a small hole drilled every 6'
or so about a foot deep around the perimeter of the tank where the
roots were coming from. Put a T in the middle and left a piece coming
up just above the surface and capped. Filled the pipe w/ the
crystals--figure it will take several years for the supply to leach out
totally but will hopefully be able to refill it from the opening w/o
digging it up to do so.

I'd avoid the in-the-tank root treatments if at all possible although I
suspect a one-time treatment now after it has been cleaned would not be
fatal.

Junior Member

Location: SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V
I had my septic tank pumped and the company found roots in the tank.
They are fairly fine roots and they removed the ones that they could
reach. My question is is there a product out there that works to
dissolve them? I see ads for RootX, etc., but I am not sure that I
should put something like this in the tank. I do put bacteria in the
tank monthly and it works great as far as disolving the solids.

Any advice or experience with this would be appreciated.
Be more concerned about the Roots in your sewer lines/pipes since it is a smaller space that could be fully encumbered. Many chemicals are available to safely address roots in a plumbing system. But regular inspection and service with a Power Cable and Cutter set, regardless of actual drainage problems will guard against major problems later.

Click here to view a variety of drain cleaning equipment…
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/MfrCategory.aspx?Mfr=132
Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW, you don't need to add the bacteria. this is a scam from the pumper
guys. Septic tanks grow their own just fine.

--
Steve Barker

nk.net...